Ennis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis

Funny how 2 people can read the same thing and think two different things. I'm pretty high on our chances just from what I read here and on the Internet.

I think the biggest worry with Ennis is playing time, he has seen what happened with Dion and then MCW

What happened with Dion?

Definitely do not get that vibe AT ALL. I think a lot of people are trying to paint his recruitment in a negative fashion because he hasn't committed yet and I don't understand why. He's just a teenager. Oh, and our coach, is the most successful wins wise in our conference. You think we'd still be involved if he was jerking us around or there was Calipari-gans involved?

Give the kid a break.
It is SU's top priority recruitment position. And it seems each piece of information can be interpreted in a couple of different ways.

It seems for SU when a recruitment drags on, the odds of SU landing the recruit drop. So the earlier the commitment the better.

As for the staff what would you expect them to do if they thought he was jerking us around or they suspected a possible Calipari-ish situation. Offer another kid, do a first person to commit scenario? What else would you expect them to do?

I'm a tad confused. My oh my. Ennis is just finishing his junior year in high school? Entering the AAU season. What are our expectations allof a sudden... that top flight prospects will commit in their Junior year? Yeah, Dion was a true exception. But why would we expect any kid with the potential of Ennis to commit before their Senior year? JB is on this like a wet blanket ... and sure, everybody would love these high level kids to commit ... but it ain't gonna happen. Chill out.

he wasn't happy with his playing time his freshmen year, and almost transfered

I knew the answer but didn't see the Dion/MCW comparison. Two different animals since Dion brought on his own problems as a frosh as to PT.

I knew the answer but didn't see the Dion/MCW comparison. Two different animals since Dion brought on his own problems as a frosh as to PT.
different reasons, but same issue, playing time

Anyone else getting a little worried about this kid. Every article that comes out seems to have some sort of Warning Sign (WS).

WS1 - HEAVY parental involvement. Can lead to problems - see Tobias Harris. Could conceivably be a gravy train situation.
WS2 - late commitment. Coupled with 1 above can be a signal for highest bidder. Also terrible situation for SU.
WS3 - brother's commitment issues. Problems within the family.
WS4 - switching schoools. Isn't he Canadian yet played in NJ.
WS5 - Diva syndrome. "I'm the best". NJ player of the year. May not take well to the bench. Reads like he is getting full of himself.
WS6 - "Playing time right away". The plan is for SU's '13 pg to not be the main man until '14. SU's ideal scenario is to have MCW back for '13. This kid has the feel of all kinds of chemistry problems riding the bench.

When the SU plan is working, recruits wait out a year and then take over. It is great when they come in with that expectatiton - see J Grant. It appears Ennis does not want that type of situation. While there can be intelligent discussions on the preferences between choosing between Ennis and Jordan, no one debates either of those two vs MCW. It's MCWs deal from now until he goes pro.

On paper, the SU '13 squad looks like a title contender in need of a backup pg (who is groomed to take over in '14). I have my doubts about the fit of Ennis for that role.
Did Ennis run over your dog or something? There is literally NOTHING to indicate this kid is anything but a good kid and a top recruit we have a real shot at.

I guess I'm not seeing why he would be holding off still? Waiting for a Kentucky offer? Any other schools to offer? Wondering if SU will have anymore "issues" like we had this past season? I really don't know.

I could see this angle. If you are a sought after recruit and like Cuse, why not wait to see what else comes out about the bball program? At this point, I log on every day waiting to hear that the SU athletic department has been caught selling plutonium to North Korea... One by one these scandals are starting to dissipate but good lord. Its almost amazing any kid is still considering Orange considering the barrage of insanely negative news streaming out about the basketball program (true and false).

Did Ennis run over your dog or something? There is literally NOTHING to indicate this kid is anything but a good kid and a top recruit we have a real shot at.
Stole his wife.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

As noted below, looks like Louisville is going after him in a big way. This is an abbreviated story from ESPNinsider:
Louisville is already generating a great deal of buzz as one of the top title contenders for next season, but Siva, PG will be gone following year , so they'll need someone to step in for 2013-14.
That's where Tyler Ennis comes in. The Canadian prospect is currently ranked No. 41 in the nation for 2013. And while many feel Syracuse could be the leader in the race to land him right now, At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. notes that Louisville is still very much in the mix as well. Those close to Ennis point out that the school's style of play and coaching staff will be a major factor ...could turn his head.

Anyone else getting a little worried about this kid. Every article that comes out seems to have some sort of Warning Sign (WS).

WS1 - HEAVY parental involvement. Can lead to problems - see Tobias Harris. Could conceivably be a gravy train situation.
WS2 - late commitment. Coupled with 1 above can be a signal for highest bidder. Also terrible situation for SU.
WS3 - brother's commitment issues. Problems within the family.
WS4 - switching schoools. Isn't he Canadian yet played in NJ.
WS5 - Diva syndrome. "I'm the best". NJ player of the year. May not take well to the bench. Reads like he is getting full of himself.
WS6 - "Playing time right away". The plan is for SU's '13 pg to not be the main man until '14. SU's ideal scenario is to have MCW back for '13. This kid has the feel of all kinds of chemistry problems riding the bench.

When the SU plan is working, recruits wait out a year and then take over. It is great when they come in with that expectatiton - see J Grant. It appears Ennis does not want that type of situation. While there can be intelligent discussions on the preferences between choosing between Ennis and Jordan, no one debates either of those two vs MCW. It's MCWs deal from now until he goes pro.

On paper, the SU '13 squad looks like a title contender in need of a backup pg (who is groomed to take over in '14). I have my doubts about the fit of Ennis for that role.
This is such BS. Heavy parent involvement is a bad thing? Just because we didn't get some kid whose Dad was his AAU coach? So its better to recruit a kid with no parental involvement? Late committments are bad? Last I checked Coleman didn't commit until the end of October. Late is bad because we didn't get Noel? The borther statement is just stupid, last I checked we weren't recruiting his brother. Diva syndrome? Get real. Would you rather a 16 year old that wants to be average? PT issue? I hope to God that y9ou aren't proposign we start recruitng kids to be backups instead of kids that want to start and have the ability to start. You just make no sense.

This is such BS. Heavy parent involvement is a bad thing? Just because we didn't get some kid whose Dad was his AAU coach? So its better to recruit a kid with no parental involvement? Late committments are bad? Last I checked Coleman didn't commit until the end of October. Late is bad because we didn't get Noel? The borther statement is just stupid, last I checked we weren't recruiting his brother. Diva syndrome? Get real. Would you rather a 16 year old that wants to be average? PT issue? I hope to God that y9ou aren't proposign we start recruitng kids to be backups instead of kids that want to start and have the ability to start. You just make no sense.
I called them Warning Signs. Each one, in and of itself, may not be cause for concern, but the combination of all these signs should be worrisome.

I am not proposing we recruit kids to be backups but that ideally they have the mental makeup to be able to wait for their time - see MCW, see J Grant. The expectation was not to start as a frosh but to grow into the position (MCW may not be the best example but you get the drift). Combining several of the warning signs gave me the impression that Ennis may not want that situation anymore.

And yes, late is bad in this instance because SU is in a near '13 pg crisis. IMO, SU can not wait. The OP stated "Patience will be the key". That is not comforting. If SU waits too long they could get burned. I believe the staff would like Ennis but they are not in the position to show Patience.

If I were running the show I would be doing a first to commit scenario between Ennis, R Jordan, and Cat Barber. That is not being patient. So, if the OP statement is true and patience will be the key, then there is a problem between the SU and Ennis positions.

This does not sound like good news for SU. The '13 pg is the top priority. SU wants an early solid commitment. Ennis seems to have been identified by the SU staff as the one they wanted but if the kid has commitment issues and one of those nosy, pushy parental types, SU needs to quickly assess their options.
I would think that is something all coaches recruiting their sport face and must deal with accordingly.:eek:

I called them Warning Signs. Each one, in and of itself, may not be cause for concern, but the combination of all these signs should be worrisome.

I am not proposing we recruit kids to be backups but that ideally they have the mental makeup to be able to wait for their time - see MCW, see J Grant. The expectation was not to start as a frosh but to grow into the position (MCW may not be the best example but you get the drift). Combining several of the warning signs gave me the impression that Ennis may not want that situation anymore.

And yes, late is bad in this instance because SU is in a near '13 pg crisis. IMO, SU can not wait. The OP stated "Patience will be the key". That is not comforting. If SU waits too long they could get burned. I believe the staff would like Ennis but they are not in the position to show Patience.

If I were running the show I would be doing a first to commit scenario between Ennis, R Jordan, and Cat Barber. That is not being patient. So, if the OP statement is true and patience will be the key, then there is a problem between the SU and Ennis positions.

If you were running the show, I would hope you wouldn't base all your understanding about a recruit completely upon rankings from recruiting agencies, but it certainly seems like that's all you do right now, with your endless parade of messages about your angst over SU's lack of a pg recruit for 2013. Okay, we get it, you are worried. Enough already!

Good players will attract the attention of good schools. Ennis should take his time, and we should respect that. I'm a fan of course, but as objectively as I can muster I think Syracuse offers a really great opportunity for an incoming point guard to excel these next few years, especially one that is a true point guard/floor general.

If you were running the show, I would hope you wouldn't base all your understanding about a recruit completely upon rankings from recruiting agencies, but it certainly seems like that's all you do right now, with your endless parade of messages about your angst over SU's lack of a pg recruit for 2013. Okay, we get it, you are worried. Enough already!
I was responding to cuseincincy. I presented an unpopular point of view and have taken heat for it. People have laid off a bit since Jake came to my side (bless his soul). I think the odds have significantly been reduced for getting Ennis and people should be prepared.

As for the other pg's involved, I was just speculating. And yes, the major factor is recruiting agencies. But there aren't as many hidden gems out there anymore. If it comes late Fall and SU has someone commit I never heard of, it will be hard to get excited about it.

WHO WILL FINISH ON TOP FOR RIVALS150 POINT GUARD TYLER ENNIS?

With offers from schools around the country, Tyler Ennis is easily one of the top juniors in the country. A 2013 6-foot-2 point guard from St. Benedict's in New Jersey, the No. 21 player in the Rivals150 is being carter by a number of schools. The question is where will he end up? Originally, it appeared that Louisville, Syracuse, Arizona and Kansas were the frontrunners to land the talented CIA Bounce floor general. As he explored all four schools and visited each one except for Kansas, it appears he is wide open as of now. LSU and UCLA offered two weeks ago and the Bruins, if they can get him to visit, could be a potential destination with Kyle Anderson's potential to enter the NBA Draft next year. Last week, it was announced that Ennis had cut Arizona from his list following the additions of point guards Mark Lyons - a Xavier transfer - and T.J. McConnell - a Duquesne transfer who is only a sophomore. Villanova, Missouri, Cincinnati and others are also involved. As Ennis' older brother, Rice transfer Dylan, recently elected to play at Villanova, one has to wonder if this could help or hurt the Wildcats with incoming point guard Ryan Arcidiacono and former Wake Forest combo guard Tony Chennault coming in, as well. Look for Syracuse to have the best shot with the rising senior, whose family lives nearby in Buffalo, New York.

according to recruiting sites, ennis will narrow his list down by summer's end. they speculate that his list will consist of: su, memphis, ucla, louisville.

i saw him interviewed the other day and when asked what he liked about SU, he said: "there's a lot of freedom" at syracuse. i took that as him referring to jimmy's NBA-like atmosphere, giving the kids space, etc.

and i'm all for establishing a pipeline through CIA bounce. landing wiggins will be hard, though i think SU has a chance if he reclassifies (that would put dook, unc, and uk in a pickle since they all are targeting jabari parker). but i think landing their teammate, xavier rathan-mayes, would be as good as a pick up for SU. mayes can ball.