ESPN + is a joke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN + is a joke

How did your ESPN+ bill triple? I've been paying the same amount now for like 5 years?

I'd pay $50 a month for ESPN+ with how much I use it. Hockey, CBB, CFB, UFC, it pays for itself a million times over.

Yeah I don't get that either I have the triple package Hulu, ESPN+, Disney + for $15 a month.

Yup I have YoutubeTV and I had three options to view too

BTW, I was disappointed that Devo wasn't the analyst. Jim Satalin is fine but Devo seems more real with his insights.
My 3 options were on the ESPN App. I have YouTubeTV also but had no effect on watching the game.

I just can't believe the feed may have been worse because of a soccer game. Eeks.

I expected it to not be ESPN normal quality but things like the Taco Time logo flashing while Canisius drains a three or the feed completely going dead when a player was injured was just bizarre.
I'm guessing ESPN only has one production truck & cameras available to broadcast in Syracuse unless they import a 2nd crew & equipment. Which they didn’t do for an ACCNX game. ACC Tournament soccer game on ACCN had a higher priority.

Lately when I try to log-in to the ESPN app, I often get an error message saying I have too many devices that are currently streaming on there, and it doesn't let me connect to the game I want. So I thought maybe my password was stolen, so I've changed it multiple times, and I still have the same issue.
Do you have other devices logged into the ESPN App at the same time? I think the maximum is 3.

Do you have other devices logged into the ESPN App at the same time? I think the maximum is 3.
I use my iPad like 90% of the time for this and my phone maybe 10%. Two devices absolute max.

There are many reasons I’m sure, but when they cut away to show the 80’s style graphics for 20 seconds while a play is being completely missed, that’s just super irritating, no matter what the reason.

Last game my wife asked me something, I have no idea what but I missed the 20 seconds or so when the Canisius kid hurt his knee. I look up after I hear “ya, he’s injured”, not knowing who because im trying to act like I’m interested in what the misses wants me to do at the commercial. I can’t see who it is and it sounded like you could hear a pin drop and I thought it was Judah for at least 10 seconds until the announcers made it clear who was injured. Just not cool.

I use my iPad like 90% of the time for this and my phone maybe 10%. Two devices absolute max.
Maybe make sure you're logged out of the one you're not using at the time. Literally log off.

My 3 options were on the ESPN App. I have YouTubeTV also but had no effect on watching the game.
Yup you're right...I did go in through the ESPN app on my Roku

I didn’t lose audio or video, but in addition to the clownish production/direction, my video signal was low res the entire time. Like when you are just starting a stream and the buffer has to catch up or whatever. The whole game. No such problems when I switch to any other stream on the ESPN app (AppleTV). Is that just ACCNX issues?
No excuse, best television production school in the country produces that dreck. Inexcusable. Makes me feel like my degree could just as easily been from Podunk U.

No excuse, best television production school in the country produces that dreck. Inexcusable. Makes me feel like my degree could just as easily been from Podunk U.
That production had nothing to do with the Newhouse School. The production was the responsibility of some part of ESPN which had the broadcast rights to the game. Why are you obsessed with trying to make your degree seem worthless? The value of your degree depends on what YOU do with it.

Last edited:
IDK, I thought the game was fine. It was a little goofy in a totally harmless way but I wasn't expecting Jay Bilas Saturday night quality.

Missing plays did get annoying after a while for me. There were several.

Thar production had nothing to do with the Newhouse School. The production was the responsibility of some part of ESPN which had the broadcast rights to the game. Why are you obsessed with trying to make your degree seem worthless? The value of your degree depends on what YOU do with it.
It was written tongue in cheek. My degree opened up doors for me early on and I did pretty well. I was under the impression from a prior post that SU handled the production on thee ACC XTRA /ESPN plus broadcasts. SU is a school where most can get by and graduate, however, a world class education is available if one takes advantage of it. Just like in life, you need to be motivated to get the most out of it. It does not go looking for you.

Thar production had nothing to do with the Newhouse School. The production was the responsibility of some part of ESPN which had the broadcast rights to the game. Why are you obsessed with trying to make your degree seem worthless? The value of your degree depends on what YOU do with it.

Reactions: cto
It was written tongue in cheek. My degree opened up doors for me early on and I did pretty well. I was under the impression from a prior post that SU handled the production on thee ACC XTRA /ESPN plus broadcasts. SU is a school where most can get by and graduate, however, a world class education is available if one takes advantage of it. Just like in life, you need to be motivated to get the most out of it. It does not go looking for you.
I think you are referring to something I posted and I didn't have all the info. This article explains the partnership better.

Watched the game about half an hour behind. Chose the “start from beginning” option
Every time I fast forwarded 10 seconds it restarted the broadcast from the very beginning. How hard is it for them to get this right? How many billions of dollars is Disney worth?

Also, what poor production quality of the game. I realize that isn’t an espn issue but rather a local one. I’m trying to watch an actual basketball game but I cant see what going on because a low budget TACOS TACOS TACOS graphic plasters the screen for 30 seconds
steve-holt-humor.gif

There are many reasons I’m sure, but when they cut away to show the 80’s style graphics for 20 seconds while a play is being completely missed, that’s just super irritating, no matter what the reason.
ESPN sacked a bunch of people after last season. This was basically the video board feed combined with the radio broadcast. It's absolutely the cheapest way to broadcast the game. The next step would be to remove the radio feed.

when you look at the costs of producing a game vs the revenue in a game like this, just the fact we get to watch is a plus.

if you took all the SU fans that pay for ESPN+ for a month and added it together it probably wouldnt be enough to pay for a game like this to be on TV with no ad money to offset the cost.

ESPN sacked a bunch of people after last season. This was basically the video board feed combined with the radio broadcast. It's absolutely the cheapest way to broadcast the game. The next step would be to remove the radio feed.
I actually wish they would tap into our WAER announcers for games like this. Frankly, the kids are usually more enjoyable to listen to. That said, it was nice to see Devo the other night. I would love to her Melo do color for one of our broadcasts, maybe as a special coach can do play by play and Melo handle the color.

The value of an education is what you do with it. The value of a degree is largely related to the perception of it by others—whoever might be assessing/evaluating/rating you.

will they do it as a pure stand alone though.

My in-laws watch a small set of games on espn.. There is zero chance they subscribe and watch any if they had to pay $30.. But if its lumped into the rest of their monthly bill like now they would keep watching

will they do it as a pure stand alone though.

My in-laws watch a small set of games on espn.. There is zero chance they subscribe and watch any if they had to pay $30.. But if its lumped into the rest of their monthly bill like now they would keep watching
I’m sick of this death by a thousand cuts, piecemeal television bs. Back in the day, there was one cable bill and you knew what you were paying every month. Now, I have to look at my bank statements to count how many different services i’m playing for, hope I’m not paying for things I forgot I’m still subscribed to….

What’s the limit? Kinda feels like they know we all have a conscious limit—how much total we would pay for services, but they know we don’t know how much we’re paying because we only see the costs in chunks.

Yup I have YoutubeTV and I had three options to view too

BTW, I was disappointed that Devo wasn't the analyst. Jim Satalin is fine but Devo seems more real with his insights.
They were just using the radio call.

1. Radio guys audio feed? [X]
2. Video feed out of the jumbotron [X]

OK, we're live...

when you look at the costs of producing a game vs the revenue in a game like this, just the fact we get to watch is a plus.

if you took all the SU fans that pay for ESPN+ for a month and added it together it probably wouldnt be enough to pay for a game like this to be on TV with no ad money to offset the cost.

I'm sorry but that's not acceptable. We should not be regressing severely in quality just to provide more access. I could've watched this exact same game a decade ago on the ACC Regional Sports Network and it would have been an actual produced television broadcast with announcers instead of the cobbled together mess they just put on ESPN+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom