ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=12367998&src=desktop&rand=ref~{"ref":"http://t.co/PB94gKgJa0"%7D&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_haney_worstjobs&b=1424713995989

Syracuse ranked 57th. BC is 55th and Rutgers is 53rd.
Here is the Syracuse blurb.
As one coach said: "The weather is miserable, and that dome ..." Yes, that dome. The Carrier Dome hasn't exactly aged like a fine Bordeaux, we'll say. The facility, and the school's upstate New York isolation, has made for a somewhat ragged fit in its new conference. It strains the accuracy of the name "Atlantic Coast Conference," really. The state might touch the water, but Syracuse says neither Atlantic nor Coastal. "We all know why they're here," the coach said, referring to the ACC's desire to maintain its basketball reputation. The school and city are currently trying to figure out options for the dome, whether to renovate or build something new. Either way, it's much-needed for the program's profile. I recall school officials talking last summer about how difficult it had been to get higher-end teams in the ACC (and Notre Dame) to actually play in Syracuse; better opponents want a neutral-site game in the Meadowlands, they said. As for the weather, well, there isn't much that can be done about that one. At least the football season is over before the gray of dirty snow season hits.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=12367998&src=desktop&rand=ref~{"ref":"http://t.co/PB94gKgJa0"%7D&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_haney_worstjobs&b=1424713995989

As one coach said: "The weather is miserable, and that dome ..." Yes, that dome. The Carrier Dome hasn't exactly aged like a fine Bordeaux, we'll say. The facility, and the school's upstate New York isolation, has made for a somewhat ragged fit in its new conference. It strains the accuracy of the name "Atlantic Coast Conference," really. The state might touch the water, but Syracuse says neither Atlantic nor Coastal. "We all know why they're here," the coach said, referring to the ACC's desire to maintain its basketball reputation. The school and city are currently trying to figure out options for the dome, whether to renovate or build something new. Either way, it's much-needed for the program's profile. I recall school officials talking last summer about how difficult it had been to get higher-end teams in the ACC (and Notre Dame) to actually play in Syracuse; better opponents want a neutral-site game in the Meadowlands, they said. As for the weather, well, there isn't much that can be done about that one. At least the football season is over before the gray of dirty snow season hits.
geography not the writer's strong suit

i can't wait to rent a beach house to watch a clemson game

Snow? Wimps!

Half the major football teams in the country play in what would be considered winter weather...cold, maybe not as much snow, but for them 2-3 inches is a disaster. In Syracuse not so.

Our problem is we've been less than mediocre for too many years.

I wish there was some way to turn the Dome in to a positive.

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

If the season "typically" ends around Thanksgiving, the writer surely hasn't been in upstate NY to see the mounds of snow that sometimes can fall before then. Snow in October isn't even unusual.

Stupid. (1) All of the schools in the B1G get tons of snow and are frigid; (2) since when does "Atlantic Coast Conference" necessitate being on the coast? Last I checked, Syracuse's access to the Atlantic Ocean is no worse than Arizona, Arizona State and certainly better than Utah, Colorado. Writer also fails to mention that the football history at Cuse is better than most of the ACC brethren. Now, if you want to base the ranking on current public perception...

geography not the writer's strong suit

i can't wait to rent a beach house to watch a clemson game

I live 300 yards from the intracoastal waterway just north of Wilmington. The most direct way to Clemson takes me 5 and half hours. Raleigh to Clemson is a 4+ hour drive, and Charleston, SC is a 3+ hour drive as well. Say, what is the drive time from NYC to Syracuse?

Last edited:
Stupid. (1) All of the schools in the B1G get tons of snow and are frigid; (2) since when does "Atlantic Coast Conference" necessitate being on the coast? Last I checked, Syracuse's access to the Atlantic Ocean is no worse than Arizona, Arizona State and certainly better than Utah, Colorado. Writer also fails to mention that the football history at Cuse is better than most of the ACC brethren. Now, if you want to base the ranking on current public perception...

I stopped reading when they had Rutgers ahead of us. C'mon.

Maybe teams don't come to the Dome because of the people in charge of the SUAD...I mean they can't get simple things right, so one can only imagine what scheduling contracts with them must look like.

I live 300 yards from the intracoastal waterway just north of Wilmington. The most direct way to Clemson takes me 5 and half hours. Raleigh is a 4+ hour drive, and Charleston, SC is a 3+ hour drive as well. Say, what is the drive time from NYC to Syracuse?

You've proved his point.

Good points. Just like Maryland and Rutgers now being members of the Big 10.

I live 300 yards from the intracoastal waterway just north of Wilmington. The most direct way to Clemson takes me 5 and half hours. Raleigh is a 4+ hour drive, and Charleston, SC is a 3+ hour drive as well. Say, what is the drive time from NYC to Syracuse?

I love Wilmington - we go down there 2-3 times a year. But how far north of Wilmington are you? it's only 2.5 hours from RDU to Wilmington.

If everyone was being honest with themselves where would you rank Syracuse?
Without looking at the list to see if there is anyone in front of us that clearly stands out, probably no higher than we're ranked now.

Overrated opponents scared of true road games?

No way.

Grow some balls, snows just snow.

Thank goodness it's on ESPN Insiders so no one will read it. If you hadn't posted the info I wouldn't even know about it and I go to ESPN.com every day (I know I know why?).

I love Wilmington - we go down there 2-3 times a year. But how far north of Wilmington are you? it's only 2.5 hours from RDU to Wilmington.

Live in Hampstead, just north of the county line for Wilmington, and work at Lejeune. After 5 years in Fayetteville, NC, I refused on principal to live in a military town.

I actually think historically we should be higher - but if you're saying how good of a job is it right now? Better than Rutgers and a few spots higher than where they have us.

It's the reasoning that's a sham.

What a stupid write up. Sure the program is down now but it has a winning history, and not so long ago, unlike a lot of the other programs in the 40-65 tier. The focus on the weather is idiotic...playing in a dome makes it a non issue. For 18-22 year olds going to school there, the snow is somewhat a plus. I found it a lot of fun...it's not like they have to drive to work in it. No mention of the new IPF. No mention of the area's pretty good support for SU athletics as there is no pro competition. They wanted to be negative and so they focused on the things they could be negative about. If SU could get another coach like Coach Mac they would be fielding winning teams (8-4) would be quite sufficient and the Dome would be rocking. Screw ESPN.

What a stupid write up. Sure the program is down now but it has a winning history, and not so long ago, unlike a lot of the other programs in the 40-65 tier. The focus on the weather is idiotic...playing in a dome makes it a non issue. For 18-22 year olds going to school there, the snow is somewhat a plus. I found it a lot of fun...it's not like they have to drive to work in it. No mention of the new IPF. No mention of the area's pretty good support for SU athletics as there is no pro competition. They wanted to be negative and so they focused on the things they could be negative about. If SU could get another coach like Coach Mac they would be fielding winning teams (8-4) would be quite sufficient and the Dome would be rocking. Screw ESPN.
the weather sucks and the dome sucks

and people wonder why i think coaches are stupid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom