ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs

SU basketball hasnt gone 44-77 over the past 10 years, 3-9 in its most recent campaign. Think about that for a second, our current recruits were 7 years old in 2004. We have stunk their entire lives that they were watching/paying attention to football.

OK.

Why does weather make the SU coaching job terrible again?

SU basketball hasnt gone 44-77 over the past 10 years, 3-9 in its most recent campaign. Think about that for a second, our current recruits were 7 years old in 2004. We have stunk their entire lives that they were watching/paying attention to football.

That just confirms the article is FOS...The bad weather only effects football recruiting and not basketball recruiting? I would agree with your staetment that winning and recent history play more of a role than bad weather

South Carolina at 19 is a complete joke. I had to make sure, but sure enough, the dude covered South Carolina football and makes no attempt to hide is bias in ranking SCAR ahead of Nebraska, UNC, Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Washington.

OK.

Why does weather make the SU coaching job terrible again?

Scooch i generally like your posts, but what is so hard to understand here. For the most part, people would prefer to live in Hawaii than alaska right? Its really that simple. Now, does that mean cold weather college teams can't win? Of course not, however, they have to have other characteristics/traits that could persuade a coach/recruits to come there. Those primarily being, Salary, Support, Facilities and tradition. SU ranks low in 3 of those 4.

SU Basketball pays their coach the 23rd highest Salary, SU basketball gets tons of support (school and community), SU has a state of the art indoor practice facility, plays in front of 30K+ in a one of kind facility and has loads of tradition and a recent NC to boot. No one is saying weather is the end all be all, but it DOES have some consideration.

When you have gone 45-77 over the past decade, the crappy weather is a huge detriment. If we were Oregon, weather wouldnt be a big issue. See?

Last edited:
Weather is n issue, but some of the best jobs in the country ar ein the Big 10.

Scooch i generally like your posts, but what is so hard to understand here. For the most part, people would prefer to live in Hawaii than alaska right? Its really that simple. Now, does that mean cold weather college teams can't win? Of course not, however, they have to have other characteristics/traits that could persuade a coach/recruits to come there. Those primarily being, Salary, Support, Facilities and tradition. SU ranks low in 3 of those 4.

SU Basketball pays their coach the 23rd highest Salary, SU basketball gets tons of support (school and community), SU has a state of the art indoor practice facility, plays in front of 30K+ in a one of kind facility and has loads of tradition and a recent NC to boot. No one is saying weather is the end all be all, but it DOES have some consideration.

Generally? ;)

Weather and stadium were listed as the reasons why SU's football job is terrible.

There are LOTS more reasons why the SU job is terrible.

Generally? ;)

Weather and stadium were listed as the reasons why SU's football job is terrible.

There are LOTS more reasons why the SU job is terrible.
This guy getting pissed that I moved the Orange from 57th all the way to 44th best,...being 1 of them.

When you have gone 45-77 over the past decade, the crappy weather is a huge detriment. If we were Oregon, weather wouldnt be a big issue. See?

The weather is bad in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and the entire NE.

I was struck by how much a guy like Greg Robinson - a real Californian - loved Central NY.

For the most part, coaches truly enjoy working for Syracuse University - the area is pretty, it's easy to get around, real estate is reasonable, the schools are excellent and for a small town there is a lot to do - from skiing, to great lake swimming and fishing to the State Fair to the Everson and on and on.

South Carolina at 19 is a complete joke. I had to make sure, but sure enough, the dude covered South Carolina football and makes no attempt to hide is bias in ranking SCAR ahead of Nebraska, UNC, Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Washington.

South Carolina is a fabulous job with some of the nicest facilities in the country and a strong recruiting area. Not to mention your AD was a former coach (which I would think would be more desired then an admin).

I have no idea why people think Washington is such a good job...

While I do think Syracuse rates pretty low, I think recruiting area is the # 1 determining factor in the level of appeal with a job. Our recruiting area as a school relies heavily on other states.

The key to this list for me is, would a coach at a lower ranked school leave for that higher ranked school?

My only real qualm with the list is Oregon's ranking. I know their recruiting area is like ours, but Phil Knight has money out the butt to pay for anything and everything you could possibly want.

I think the Alabama job is a bit overrated simply because of Saban (I think USC, LSU, Georgia are all better jobs).

South Carolina is a fabulous job with some of the nicest facilities in the country and a strong recruiting area. Not to mention your AD was a former coach (which I would think would be more desired then an admin).

I have no idea why people think Washington is such a good job...

While I do think Syracuse rates pretty low, I think recruiting area is the # 1 determining factor in the level of appeal with a job. Our recruiting area as a school relies heavily on other states.

The key to this list for me is, would a coach at a lower ranked school leave for that higher ranked school?

My only real qualm with the list is Oregon's ranking. I know their recruiting area is like ours, but Phil Knight has money out the butt to pay for anything and everything you could possibly want.

I think the Alabama job is a bit overrated simply because of Saban (I think USC, LSU, Georgia are all better jobs).

1. Weather in Columbia, SC is awful
2. SC is not a top 10 recruiting state
3. They play second fiddle to Clemson in recruiting and prestige.
4. They rank 13 out of 14 in SEC for all time wins.
5. If you want to mention a coach over-inflating the value of a program, Spurrier and South Carolina are at the top of the list.

1. Weather in Columbia, SC is awful
2. SC is not a top 10 recruiting state
3. They play second fiddle to Clemson in recruiting and prestige.
4. They rank 13 out of 14 in SEC for all time wins.
5. If you want to mention a coach over-inflating the value of a program, Spurrier and South Carolina are at the top of the list.

South Carolina is a much better job (right now) then Nebraska, UNC, Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Washington, IMO.

Better recruiting areas then all except UNC (which is the same essentially) and OK State and facilities are better then everyone on that list. Also have the allure of SEC.

Clemson is potentially a better job, but that is very close right now. They should be ranked pretty similarly. I think both are nearer the 10-12 range.

And for the love of God, can we stop mentioning weather? Weather in every city is good sometimes and bad other times.

The weather is bad in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and the entire NE.

I was struck by how much a guy like Greg Robinson - a real Californian - loved Central NY.

For the most part, coaches truly enjoy working for Syracuse University - the area is pretty, it's easy to get around, real estate is reasonable, the schools are excellent and for a small town there is a lot to do - from skiing, to great lake swimming and fishing to the State Fair to the Everson and on and on.

What are the good gigs in PA? Penn State will never sniff a championship again - I doubt Michigan will either. Yeah, they have good fan support but so do all the big boys. If you go back far enough, everyone has some sort of championship or "golden era" to hang their hat on.

Syracuse cannot use "history" because 1) it was decades ago and 2) there are 30 other schools that have had more impressive runs, most more recently. No one remembers or cares that Donovan McNav went here, certainly not Ernie Davidson. Recruits want a path to NFL and to win along the way.

Les Miles has to literally walk down the street to recruit national prospects or drive an hour to New Orleans. How many players are within an hour of Syracuse that would get scholarships?

Zero, and that's why they are near the bottom of the list. Someone should compare the latitude to the rank ... I bet it's almost perfect correlation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom