ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs

utah, kentucky, maryland, pitt, ga tech, ncst, tcu, lville, baylor...all can go behind Syracuse.

Whoa, take off the orange colored glasses for a second. This was about College Coaching positions...

Maryland Weather > Syracuse Weather
Maryland Salary > Syracuse Salary
Maryland location > Syracuse Location
Maryland Recruiting area > Syracuse Recruiting area
Maryland Big Donors (UARM) > Syracuse Big Donors
Maryland Football Support > Syracuse football support

I can duplicate this efforf for every school you identified that SU should be in front of except maybe, UK, MAYBE. I think SU is ranked right where they deserve to be ranked. The 1990's was two + decades ago.

Whoa, take off the orange colored glasses for a second. This was about College Coaching positions...

Maryland Weather > Syracuse Weather
Maryland Salary > Syracuse Salary
Maryland location > Syracuse Location
Maryland Recruiting area > Syracuse Recruiting area
Maryland Big Donors (UARM) > Syracuse Big Donors
Maryland Football Support > Syracuse football support

I can duplicate this efforf for every school you identified that SU should be in front of except maybe, UK, MAYBE. I think SU is ranked right where they deserve to be ranked. The 1990's was two + decades ago.
can i quote you and and use this a reference everytime some dipshlit calls me anti-Syracuse??

i look at the weather as a wash at worst, but because we play in a Dome we win.

salary should equal out.

location? fine, whatever.

recruiting area?? Cuse is pretty damn close to Jersey, PA and Ohio...another wash at worst.

donors? theyre bankrupt, Cuse wins.

support is a wash at worst and with Wins we will beat them.

then when you factor in ability to win the conf, Cuse has a much better shot than maryland does.

fwiw: id put them right there with Cuse, iowa and illinois.

salary should equal out.
I definitely disagree. Forget about the weather when you practice or play games, it's all the time. It's the 120" of snow per year and the long winters. If you've lived in it for a while, you learn to deal with it. But when you haven't, it's quite an adjustment.

Salary is different too. Edsall gets $2.25 mil, Shafer gets $1.4. That's a huge gap.

can i quote you and and use this a reference everytime some dipshlit calls me anti-Syracuse??

salary should equal out.

location? fine, whatever.

recruiting area?? Cuse is pretty damn close to Jersey, PA and Ohio...another wash at worst.

donors? theyre bankrupt, Cuse wins.

support is a wash at worst and with Wins we will beat them.

then when you factor in ability to win the conf, Cuse has a much better shot than maryland does.

fwiw: id put them right there with Cuse, iowa and illinois.

The weather is not literally about playing in the snow. Its about A) Do I as a head coach want to deal with 120" of snow yearly and the bitter cold, and B) Can i recruit kids to live in this awful weather for 4 -5 years.

As stated above, the salary does NOT even out.

College Park is closer to Jersey and PA and has its own quality players in the DC metro area (VA Norfolk etc)

Support a wash? They are building a brand new super duper practice facility.

Cuse has a much better chance to win the conference? FSU won the title last year? Clemson and FSU are in SU division. How is that better?

Maryland is a better college coaching job right now, no question. As were just about every other school you posted that we should be in front of save Utah and maybe Kentucky.

I definitely disagree. Forget about the weather when you practice or play games, it's all the time. It's the 120" of snow per year and the long winters. If you've lived in it for a while, you learn to deal with it. But when you haven't, it's quite an adjustment.

Salary is different too. Edsall gets $2.25 mil, Shafer gets $1.4. That's a huge gap.
edsall is the better coach.

our next guy will be at 2.5+ easily.

Maryland football support is an oxymoron

edsall is the better coach.

our next guy will be at 2.5+ easily.
I hope the next guy is $2.5+ million, but with the amount of cash that the Athletic Department is hemorrhaging right now, I'd be surprised. You'd know better than me though.

Here's the final list.
1) Texas
2) Alabama
3) USC
4) Ohio State
5) Florida
6) LSU
7) Florida State
8) Georgia
9) Oklahoma
10) Notre Dame
11 tie) Oregon
11 tie) Texas A&M
13) Auburn
14) Michigan
15) Tennessee
16) Clemson
17 tie) Penn State
17 tie) UCLA
19) South Carolina
20) Michigan State
21) Nebraska
22) Arkansas
23) Miami
24) Wisconsin
25 tie) Oklahoma State
25 tie) Washington
27) Arizona State
28) Baylor
29) Louisville
30) Stanford
31) TCU
32) Ole Miss
33) Virginia Tech
34 tie) Miss State
34 tie) Mizzou
36) North Carolina
37) Arizona
38) Iowa
39) West Virginia
40) NC State
41) Georgia Tech
42) Cal
43) Pitt
44) Maryland
45 tie) Kentucky
45 tie) Texas Tech
47) Utah
48 tie) Illinois
48 tie) Minnesota
50) Oregon State
51) Virginia
52) Kansas State
53) Rutgers
54) Northwestern
55 tie) Boston College
55 tie) Colorado
57) Syracuse
58) Duke
59) Vanderbilt
60) Indiana
61) Purdue
62) Washington State
63) Kansas
64) Iowa State
65) Wake Forest

The weather is not literally about playing in the snow. Its about A) Do I as a head coach want to deal with 120" of snow yearly and the bitter cold, and B) Can i recruit kids to live in this awful weather for 4 -5 years.

As stated above, the salary does NOT even out.

College Park is closer to Jersey and PA and has its own quality players in the DC metro area (VA Norfolk etc)

Support a wash? They are building a brand new super duper practice facility.

Cuse has a much better chance to win the conference? FSU won the title last year? Clemson and FSU are in SU division. How is that better?

Maryland is a better college coaching job right now, no question. As were just about every other school you posted that we should be in front of save Utah and maybe Kentucky.
1st let me state how proud i am after 18 years or so to be put in the Orange Glass Wearing Crowd, next 2/25 and all after will now be a Holiday.

2nd, i dont really care one way or the other about this, but clearly you have an agenda to make sure Cuse is shown in poor light so, lets entertain this.

weather, i dont give a shlit. really, i could care less. if someone has 2 job offers and they think all things are equal and want the warmer weather...go right the F ahead. dont care. as far as im concerned, this isnt worth talking about. the weather...good lord. go watch al roker, let him tell you how to post.

salary...i said it SHOULD equal out. in other words, once we are in the business of hiring a real coach with real $$, it will. like maryland has been able to do with ACC $$.

thanks for admitting that Jersey & PA are a wash at worst. and SU recruits NYC, LI, westchester and CT pretty well. while fewer recruits are there as compared to DC area, theres also a lot less number of spoons in the soup.

still trying to figure out how support equates to a practice facility. i was talking about butts in the seats, i dont see them ever being truely supported, even when winning. Syracuse will be. back to that practice facility...so youre saying Syracuse is building a mickey mouse one?? tell me, i have no clue. just assumed it would be state of the art.

in general, its easier road to a Championship. they have to go through...ohio st, michigan & penn st, before likely meeting nebraska or wisky in a conf champ game. fsu is and will be good, clemson and lville i dont trust...and the other side of the draw doesnt scare anyone. so IF, Syracuse gets good...by factoring the ability to win a championship...we have an easier road. beat FSU and then dook??? easier.

but whatever, put Syracuse 65th if it makes you happy.

The central question to file away: If every Power 5 job came open tomorrow, which would be the most desirable? On the other side, which would be least appealing? (And everything in between.)

Though each coach sees things differently -- that's why it's such a subjective, hot-button topic for debate -- the criteria is roughly the same.

The list includes location, administrative stability, support from those bosses, facilities, recruiting base, path to conference titles/playoff, sense of tradition, fervor of fan base, too much fervor from a fan base ...

We hope and believe we have provided an intelligent and accurate overview of the jobs in college football, from worst to best.

While these would be the factors I would use at assessing the strength of the HC job (I would also factor in salary), I don't see how they were used properly in our case. Who cares if it's cold in Syracuse? The whole northern part of the country is cold. Plus we play inside a Dome, and now have the ability to practice inside. So while I don't really argue against the ranking, their reasoning was an epic fail.

Just for fun i'm going to take these factors and give us a ranking on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being worst, 10 best, and 5 national average. I will also add in max salary all things considered.

3 - Location - While Syracuse, NY isn't Tempe Arizona, Los Angelas California, or Austin Texas, it's neither Stillwater, Oklahoma, Starksville, Mississippi, or Waco Texas. Sure we get a bad rep because of the cold and snowy winters, but at least it's a 10 minute drive from the airport. Some of these campuses in the middle of no where are a 2 hour drive from the closest airport. Not to mention Syracuse isn't some college town where the best place to eat out is the local pizza pad.

4 - Administrative stability - This could be higher, but I think we are going to be seeing a shake up very soon. Ironically, this may effect Syracuse in the near future, but I still don't see this as a major factor in determining strength of the job.

3 - Support from the bosses - I'm also factoring in effectiveness of AD. During TGD's time this has been hit or miss. What TGD can hang his hat on is bringing our facilities back to respectability. I admit that was huge, but basically everything else has been sub-par. Everything from ticket pricing structure to assistants salary pool is handled poorly.

4 - Facilities - This is up from a 1 before Gross took over. With the completion of the IPF i'd say we are now on par, or middle of the pack in the ACC, but still below average nationally. We have the meat and potatoes, but lack the bells and whistles. I'm not saying that having a waterfall in the middle of your locker room will make you a better player, but recruits like that stuff. And no, i'm not saying we need that. I'm just showing an example of the bells and whistles.

2 - Recruiting base - Our biggest weakness is probably the most important. While we do have surrounding states with very fertile recruiting grounds, it's not our state, and multiple other programs lay claim to the territory. NJ, PA, and OH are 4 hours from campus, which isn't really an easy drive.

2 - Path to conference title/national title - This is so far out of our grasp that it's hard to even conceive. Just to win our division in any given year we have to be prepared to win at either Clemson or FSU, as well as beating Louisville. And with the way FSU, and Clemson have been recruiting recently (along with huge facility upgrades) neither program should be falling off anytime soon.

8 - Sense of tradition - This is probably our biggest strength, and something we do a great job of portraying. Despite having an up and down past we have a lot of history to sell. First African-American Heisman, legend of #44 (please un-retire), NFL HOF'ers, etc. Eventually we are going to have to create some more recent success, but for now we do a great job of displaying the Syracuse tradition.

3 - Fervor of fanbase/too much fervor - While we don't have to worry about the latter, we do need some work on the former. It's amazing what a 4 year reign of terror could do to a fanbase, but the brand was getting a bit stale before that. There is a solid core of 25k fans that aren't going anywhere, but recently our gameday atmosphere absolutely sucks. It's too bad too because we could create a huge home field advantage with the Dome. I would rank this lower, but you don't have to look further than our own conference to see some fanbases that are even worse.

2 - HC salary/assistant salary pool - Not basing this one Shafer's current salary, but what we would be willing to pay if it came down to it. This is mainly a guess, but I don't see us going over $3m, and that's probably a mil too steep. It's tough when coordinators in our own division are making a decent amount more than our own HC.

Last edited:
While these would be the factors I would use at assessing the strength of the HC job (I would also factor in salary), I don't see how they were used properly in our case. Who cares if it's cold in Syracuse? The whole northern part of the country is cold. Plus we play inside a Dome, and now have the ability to practice inside. So while I don't really argue against the ranking, their reasoning was an epic fail.

Just for fun i'm going to take these factors and give us a ranking on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being worst, 10 best, and 5 national average. I will also add in max salary all things considered.

3 - Location - While Syracuse, NY isn't Tempe Arizona, Los Angelas California, or Austin Texas, it's neither Stillwater, Oklahoma, Starksville, Mississippi, or Waco Texas. Sure we get a bad rep because of the cold and snowy winters, but at least it's a 10 minute drive from the airport. Some of these campuses in the middle of no where are a 2 hour drive from the closest airport. Not to mention Syracuse isn't some college town where the best place to eat out is the local pizza pad.

4 - Administrative stability - This could be higher, but I think we are going to be seeing a shake up very soon. Ironically, this may effect Syracuse in the near future, but I still don't see this as a major factor in determining strength of the job.

3 - Support from the bosses - I'm also factoring in effectiveness of AD. During TGD's time this has been hit or miss. What TGD can hang his hat on is bringing our facilities back to respectability. I admit that was huge, but basically everything else has been sub-par. Everything from ticket pricing structure to assistants salary pool is handled poorly.

4 - Facilities - This is up from a 1 before Gross took over. With the completion of the IPF i'd say we are now on par, or middle of the pack in the ACC, but still below average nationally. We have the meat and potatoes, but lack the bells and whistles. I'm not saying that having a waterfall in the middle of your locker room will make you a better player, but recruits like that stuff. And no, i'm not saying we need that. I'm just showing an example of the bells and whistles.

2 - Recruiting base - Our biggest weakness is probably the most important. While we do have surrounding states with very fertile recruiting grounds, it's not our state, and multiple other programs lay claim to the territory. NJ, PA, and OH are 4 hours from campus, which isn't really an easy drive.

2 - Path to conference title/national title - This is so far out of our grasp that it's hard to even conceive. Just to win our division in any given year we have to be prepared to win at either Clemson or FSU, as well as beating Louisville. And with the way FSU, and Clemson have been recruiting recently (along with huge facility upgrades) neither program should be falling off anytime soon.

8 - Sense of tradition - This is probably our biggest strength, and something we do a great job of portraying. Despite having an up and down past we have a lot of history to sell. First African-American Heisman, legend of #44 (please un-retire), NFL HOF'ers, etc. Eventually we are going to have to create some more recent success, but for now we do a great job of displaying the Syracuse tradition.

3 - Fervor of fanbase/too much fervor - While we don't have to worry about the latter, but we do need some work on the former. It's amazing what a 4 year reign of terror could do to a fanbase, but the brand was getting a bit stale before that. There is a solid core of 25k fans that aren't going anywhere, but recently our gameday atmosphere absolutely sucks. It's too bad too because we could create a huge home field advantage with the Dome. I would rank this lower, but you don't have to look further than our own conference to see some fanbases that are even worse.

2 - HC salary/assistant salary pool - Not basing this one Shafer's current salary, but what we would be willing to pay if it came down to it. This is mainly a guess, but I don't see us going over $3m, and that's probably a mil too steep. It's tough when coordinators in our own division are making a decent amount more than our own HC.
Looks like a fair assessment to me. The location thing is interesting and really hard to quantify. Different people like different things. Large cities, small cities, rural areas, water, desert, snow, heat, etc. There are some people that love the snow and cold. To them, any job in the state of Texas would be like going into exile. On this board it seems that most people love the city, which makes sense since there are so many alumni that came from one of the large east coast cities and chose and urban school. There are some people that would prefer a place like Waco, Texas or Stillwater, Oklahoma. Ultimately, I would call location a wash for nearly every school.

Looks like a fair assessment to me. The location thing is interesting and really hard to quantify. Different people like different things. Large cities, small cities, rural areas, water, desert, snow, heat, etc. There are some people that love the snow and cold. To them, any job in the state of Texas would be like going into exile. On this board it seems that most people love the city, which makes sense since there are so many alumni that came from one of the large east coast cities and chose and urban school. There are some people that would prefer a place like Waco, Texas or Stillwater, Oklahoma. Ultimately, I would call location a wash for nearly every school.

I agree. Personally I like the snow. Jim Boeheim loves Syracuse as well. Either way I think location is pretty much irrelevant.

I agree. Personally I like the snow. Jim Boeheim loves Syracuse as well. Either way I think location is pretty much irrelevant.

If you have ever been to South Bend Indiana you know that it is miserable there much of the year.

Lot of cloud cover, snow and lake effect.

Heck, Bloomington Indiana has been cold, dreary and snowy this winter.

Nice facilities, a strong athletic and academic support along with good coaching and a quality education can make up for the weather conditions.

And summers in CNY are great.

I'm a warm weather person and I love CNY in the summer. When it comes to the extremes, I prefer heat and humidity to snow and cold. In my perfect world I'd have a summer home in CNY and a winter home in south Florida.

If the university were to improve the things it can control, I don't think we'd have a problem finding the right coach that genuinely enjoys the area. I hoping we already have him, but the jury is certainly still out on that.

Weather is clearly a huge impediment to SU recruiting top 10 basketball classes ever year.

I guess football coaches and players just aren't tough as basketball coaches and players.

:crazy:
yep.

sorta the same reason why rock bands dont play boston...its not a big college town.

yep.

sorta the same reason why rock bands dont play boston...its not a big college town.

tumblr_mb8v2o5atR1qhkufzo1_500.gif

I hope the next guy is $2.5+ million, but with the amount of cash that the Athletic Department is hemorrhaging right now, I'd be surprised. You'd know better than me though.

The Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money right now? Since when...they have never brought in more money in their history. The profit and loss part of it is a shell game, they are profitable and DDG has said publicly that exact same statement.

What business shows a gigantic profit so the government can take it from you and tax you in it. You show break even at worst and a slight loss at best if you know what you are doing and can hide the money. Especially in a "non-profit" where you can divert funds to 1,000 other places.

The Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money right now? Since when...they have never brought in more money in their history. The profit and loss part of it is a shell game, they are profitable and DDG has said publicly that exact same statement.

What business shows a gigantic profit so the government can take it from you and tax you in it. You show break even at worst and a slight loss at best if you know what you are doing and can hide the money. Especially in a "non-profit" where you can divert funds to 1,000 other places.
I guess we have different sources. That's ok.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but they aren't profitable. You might play the shell game publicly in the media, but you don't play the shell game with the Chancellor and University Senate. They might be bringing in more money, but it's going back out faster than it comes in.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but they aren't profitable. You might play the shell game publicly in the media, but you don't play the shell game with the Chancellor and University Senate. They might be bringing in more money, but it's going back out faster than it comes in.
But DDG said it publicly... ;)

Florida sticks out as the serial killer state to me because of Ted Bundy, The Gainesville Ripper and Aileen Wuornos

Just so you have your facts straight:

-The serial killer statistics-
The USA has 76% of the worlds serial killers.
Europe in second, has 17%. England has produced 28% of the European total; Germany produces 27%, and France produces 13%.
California leads in the US with the most Serial Homicide cases that have occured. Texas, New York, Illinois, and Florida follow shortly behind.

Weather is clearly a huge impediment to SU recruiting top 10 basketball classes ever year.

I guess football coaches and players just aren't tough as basketball coaches and players.

:crazy:

SU basketball hasnt gone 44-77 over the past 10 years, 3-9 in its most recent campaign. Think about that for a second, our current recruits were 7 years old in 2004. We have stunk their entire lives that they were watching/paying attention to football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom