ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs

Just wondering where that comes from?

Dexter-Morgan.jpg

I agree with many of the comments already made; however, remember that a person's perception is that person's reality.

When it's time for SU to replace Scott -- regardless of the circumstances -- and people start saying that we need to have a "big name" coach, the article will again rear its ugly head.

At that time, even if SU offers $2-3 million, where is that big name going to go? To an "obsolete" dome (see other threads) close to the Arctic Circle and no recently history of a winning program or to a school in a more temperate climate with modern facilities. This article will haunt us in recruiting and through at least one coach search cycle. :bang:

No one who is in the running for a Syracuse HC job is basing his decision on an online article.

No one.

There's no way I'm going to equate the desirability of the UVa job with Bama's, but I really have to question how well those putting these rankings together separated the "working conditions" at each school from the performance of the current coach.

That's exactly what they did! I live in Charlottesville, you couldn't pay me enough to go to Starkville! :)

So they only list the lowest 18..?

What are the top 20?

So they only list the lowest 18..?

What are the top 20?
Revealing throughout the week. Here is the next grouping released today.
47) Utah
45 tie) Kentucky
45 tie) Texas Tech
44) Maryland
43) Pitt
42) Cal
41) Georgia Tech
40) NC State
39) West Virginia
38) Iowa
37) Arizona
36) North Carolina
34 tie) Mizzou
34 tie) Miss State
33) Virginia Tech
32) Ole Miss
31) TCU
30) Stanford
29) Louisville
28) Baylor
27) Arizona State
25 tie) Oklahoma State
25 tie) Washington

does florida have better weather than NY? most of boht states dont even go outside for 3-4 months just for different reasons in either place and while people like warm weather , its more comfortable in ny most of the year.
The difference is crappy winter weather forces you outside into the cold to move the snow out of the way. There's no reason to spend extra time outside in the hot summer if you don't like the heat.

Personally, I'm a hot weather person. I moved south nearly 7 years ago and I may move even farther south in the next few years.

47) Utah
45 tie) Kentucky
45 tie) Texas Tech
44) Maryland
43) Pitt
42) Cal
41) Georgia Tech
40) NC State
39) West Virginia
38) Iowa
37) Arizona
36) North Carolina
34 tie) Mizzou
34 tie) Miss State
33) Virginia Tech
32) Ole Miss
31) TCU
30) Stanford
29) Louisville
28) Baylor
27) Arizona State
25 tie) Oklahoma State
25 tie) Washington

Cool.

Does the article say what the criteria are for the rankings? History? Facilities? Fan support? Location? Weather? etc.

Washington at 25?

Cool.

Does the article say what the criteria are for the rankings? History? Facilities? Fan support? Location? Weather? etc.

Washington at 25?
The central question to file away: If every Power 5 job came open tomorrow, which would be the most desirable? On the other side, which would be least appealing? (And everything in between.)

Though each coach sees things differently -- that's why it's such a subjective, hot-button topic for debate -- the criteria is roughly the same.

The list includes location, administrative stability, support from those bosses, facilities, recruiting base, path to conference titles/playoff, sense of tradition, fervor of fan base, too much fervor from a fan base ...

We hope and believe we have provided an intelligent and accurate overview of the jobs in college football, from worst to best.

Anyone have a projected top 5?

I'll go with:

Alabama
Ohio State
USC
Texas
Oklahoma

Honorary mention to LSU

The problem is that it’s not a fair assessment. If Syracuse is out of the top 50 most desirable jobs that’s fine by me but their reasoning is just stupid. If you want to talk fan support, weather, recruiting and pay that’s fair. But the stuff they bring up are not the reasons.

The ACC, the Dome? High end opponents playing here – these are all just patently false.

The Syracuse brand alone is better than a dozen schools in front of us.

48k rocking in the dome are probably louder than any other open air stadium in college football. Seriously. And the crowd is comparatively close to the field.
But we shouldn't think we can eat our cake and have it too. We point out that our football stadium is just as good as stadiums double our size because it's loud when it's rocking but mock tiny basketball stadiums that share the same traits.

Saying we get 35,000 people for a basketball game always sounds awesome, despite the fact that many of those seats have horrible sight lines and are far from the court. We can't deny that teams averaging near or over 100,000 for football doesn't sound every bit as cool, regardless of whether we can match or even beat their noise levels.

There is, go on a 9 game winning streak and the Dome atmosphere alone will change perception
Exactly. Win some games and beat someone we're not supposed to, and it'll go from a decrepit relic to the loud house. Winning consistently for an extended period could allow us to give the dome a cameron indoor stadium type reputation.

Last edited:
Anyone have a projected top 5?

I'll go with:

Alabama
Ohio State
USC
Texas
Oklahoma

Honorary mention to LSU

If I were a HC, there'd be no way I'd take the Alabama job. The boosters and alumni are massive pains in the ass and will eat a coach alive if given a chance.

It might have actually been WARM while you were here [not sure about that specific timeframe, but we had a weird thaw where temperatures "soared" into the 40s for several days right around the holidays. Might have been pre-Christmas.

Right. You had some unusually warm weather right around Christmas. I flew in from Chicago on the 28th. It was 50 in Chicago on the 27th and when I landed in MSP on the 28th at 1030AM it was 1.

Lived in the Twin Cities for a year when I was a kid. Liked it, but I like Syracuse better. Personal preference.

I hear you. But enjoying it as an adult is a different story. Amazing foodie spots, breweries, UofM area is great, Uptown, Nicollet Mall, and now with those Swiss style modern trams/trains connecting the two cities; it has become a terrific place. They aren't comparable.

Virginia is way too low at 51. They have access to good HSFB and beautiful campus. I would think they would be top 30. Offer me Mississippi State, Maryland, Pitt or Virginia I am taking UVA first no doubt.

Lately the UVA job is $2 million per year with zero pressure or expectations to win football games. A lot of coaches would like that. It infuriates the fan base though.

If I were a HC, there'd be no way I'd take the Alabama job. The boosters and alumni are massive pains in the ass and will eat a coach alive if given a chance.
I think the $7 million that Saban is getting paid would change some minds.

CuseIsInTheHouse said:
I think the $7 million that Saban is getting paid would change some minds.

And the boosters paid off his $4M mortgage.

Thank you, you may scream at me all you like.

47) Utah
45 tie) Kentucky
45 tie) Texas Tech
44) Maryland
43) Pitt
42) Cal
41) Georgia Tech
40) NC State
39) West Virginia
38) Iowa
37) Arizona
36) North Carolina
34 tie) Mizzou
34 tie) Miss State
33) Virginia Tech
32) Ole Miss
31) TCU
30) Stanford
29) Louisville
28) Baylor
27) Arizona State
25 tie) Oklahoma State
25 tie) Washington

utah, kentucky, maryland, pitt, ga tech, ncst, tcu, lville, baylor...all can go behind Syracuse.

brining illinois with us, and putting iowa right behind us, that puts the Orange up to 43, maybe 42.

i can promise you i had no intention of being all stupid & cute and tried to put the Orange at 44, but if I move iowa ahead of us, thats where they fall.

total anonomally.

i cant imagine anyone in the top 25 dropping behind us.

The weather during football season is good. During games, they play indoors. For practice they have a new IPF.

Syracuse is not far at all from BC (which is another ACC school). e.g. Miami Raleigh is further than Syracuse to Raleigh.

Weather is such a dumb thing to focus on when assessing coaching jobs. It's almost as if the writer does not really have enough information to write about something substantial.

Reminds me of going to a USF game away a few years back. SU was losing and the USF fans behind us were all over us about how SU sucked blah blah blah. When SU came back they became more frustrated but stuck to their Syracuse sucks blah blah blah lines. When SU took the lead, they had nothing ...and so started to chide us about snow. That's all they had left. I loved it.