ESPN reporting... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reporting...

another thing, after 2-3 years of investigating, and the ncaa leaks worse than the Iraqi navy, yet there isn't one specific allegation that has come out publicly? the quietness of the mods makes me nervous, but they seem completely in the dark. when in the hell has that ever happened? with the SEC you know exactly what the allegation was and they still beat it.

ShitHitsFanMediumT.png

I normally have an optimistic perspective on most things, but that article definitely didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

If the worst happens, then that's the past ten seasons down the drain.

272 Wins, 86 Losses

2 Big East Tournament Championships
2 Big East Regular Season Championships

4 Sweet 16s
2 Elite 8s
1 Final 4

Michigan had their 92 and 93 final fours wiped out, and yet before our game against them in 2013, they were announced BY THE NCAA as playing in their 5th Final Four.

I would put a hold on eyeing recruits like Battle and Bryant until sanctions are announced.

If JB has a fault it is that he runs a loose ship with a see no evil hear no evil mindset.
I honestly don't think the NCAA will do anything beyond taking some wins, probation, and lose a couple of scholarships.
I can't see anymore even USC FB which got a 2 year bowl had a smoking gun that went public. Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly. If SU is smart they offer probation, docking some wins and hope that is enough. If we get nailed I would recommend we fans hire a a legal firm and threaten to sue the NCAA and have it audited like Penn State fans did and watch the NCAA piss on themselves.

gilardino said:
could boeheim be forced to resign to avoid harsh penalties, gross as well? I hate asking this

Someone is going to take a hit.

If JB has a fault it is that he runs a loose ship with a see no evil hear no evil mindset.
I honestly don't think the NCAA will do anything beyond taking some wins, probation, and lose a couple of scholarships.
I can't see anymore even USC FB which got a 2 year bowl had a smoking gun that went public. Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly. If SU is smart they offer probation, docking some wins and hope that is enough. If we get nailed I would recommend we fans hire a a legal firm and threaten to sue the NCAA and have it audited like Penn State fans did and watch the NCAA piss on themselves.

I agree with you except the last sentence. I'd prefer not to do anything that Penn State fans would do.

I would put a hold on eyeing recruits like Battle and Bryant until sanctions are announced.

Why? Say we get a one year post season ban. That won't affect any incoming recruits. A loss of scholarship might hurt, but that always seems to work itself out.

Gotta be honest here. This could really effect my support of all college athletics. I mean I just cant continue to invest my time and money hoping and trying to help the football team become and the basketball team be elite only to have the Have's get richer and walk with impunity while the middle of the road schools take the heat. Just will have to walk away. Sad really.

What has me worried is not the "academic issues". Those are well known. What has me worried are the "benefits". What were the benefits?

NKR1978 said:
Why? Say we get a one year post season ban. That won't affect any incoming recruits. A loss of scholarship might hurt, but that always seems to work itself out.

Depends.

What year is the ban?

How many scholies do we lose?

If we lose one or two, that's enough.

I actually fear for some posters sanity and mental health during these times. Some of ya'll have to relax and just least let this play out and see what comes.

Worse case (And I know nothing) Post-Season Ban, some scholarships, and wins. Would it suck yeah it would. But me I would say this sucks, and just move on with it and deal with it.

Michigan had their 92 and 93 final fours wiped out, and yet before our game against them in 2013, they were announced BY THE NCAA as playing in their 5th Final Four.

64, 65, 76, 89, and 2013.

cuseguy said:
Depends.

What year is the ban?

How many scholies do we lose?

If we lose one or two, that's enough.

I'm assuming the ban would be 2015. If 2016 then we take a hit with this class, but the 2016 class should be fine. Scholarships might hurt but we often are able to award a walk on and don't always keep the full compliment of scholarship players.

I'm also operating under the assumption that the stain of probation doesn't last long. Penn State was able to recruit just fine in spite of their disgrace.

Maybe the NCAA will go easy on us if we can convince them that we changed our culture.

Last edited:

Oh, is THAT all? Vacated wins, PLUS probation AND losing scholarships? It's important to keep perspective here on how other schools have been punished of late.

Miami--after their hooker-and-blow gate, with far more sinister improper benefits than what will come out with us--got away with a SELF IMPOSED one-year post season ban.

ESPN is reporting that Oklahoma State has agreed to a 2 year, one scholarship reduction for their football team... and that is stemming from a huge scandal that SI published last year.

There is no way that we're going to accept the punishment you list above. One, because it would be unbelievably harsh. And two, because precedental cases are on our side.

I think that the NCAA is doing what they normally do--they throw a lot of s--t at the wall to see what sticks. My guess is that most of it will be penny ante stuff [especially with the alleged improper benefits, which I have a difficult time believing will be that severe, after what happened in '92] that WON'T stick, and that at the end of the day we'll be down to a couple of infractions that certainly will not necessitate to scorched earth you are predicting.

Last edited:
I actually fear for some posters sanity and mental health during these times. Some of ya'll have to relax and just least let this play out and see what comes.

Worse case (And I know nothing) Post-Season Ban, some scholarships, and wins. Would it suck yeah it would. But me I would say this sucks, and just move on with it and deal with it.

Exactly. Old timers like myself that were around in 1993 survived that and we'll survive this. I remember it totally sucked at the time and it does now too, but we'll get past it.

Let's say, worst comes to worst, and JB is forced out...does the whole program get cleansed? Would Hopkins have to leave too? If JB is out, are the assistants likely gone too, as a result?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom