ESPN reporting... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reporting...

Why should any wins be vacated? Unless they found issues with other players. If it is about Fab and Southy, it appears as soon as the university found out what was happening, they were held out until the NCAA gave us the go ahead to let them play...

Right. That's what I don't understand.

O-o.

Vacated wins - will be all wins associated with ineligible players who played during time of ineligibility.

Suspension of scholies - equals number and years ineligible players were allowed to play but negotiable with post season suspension.

Post season suspension - up to 2 years but being negotiated (hopefully only 1 year).

Unknown Factor - Syverud being a legal mind (and dean of law schools previous jobs) can his involvement help to lesson impact of penalty.

Fall guy - someone at SUAD dropped the ball and will embarrass University. My opinion most likely Gross (changes are starting to make sense now) but could be and/or JB and all bball staff.

One thing is obvious - SU Bball will not escape (wish I were and hope am wrong) penalties. My hope now is in Syverud being new chancellor on campus will fix things and make changes at SUAD.

Why should any wins be vacated? Unless they found issues with other players. If it is about Fab and Southy, it appears as soon as the university found out what was happening, they were held out until the NCAA gave us the go ahead to let them play...

I'm not saying that they SHOULD, I'm saying that they COULD. And in the prioritized ranking of which penalties are most severe, from highest to lowest, I'd say:

Postseason ban
Scholarship reduction
Vacated wins

So given my choice between these three commonly applied penalties, I'd prefer that one over the other two. Frankly, I think we're going to be able to contest the allegations hard, and undermine the lack of institutional control allegations. The NCAA is making the case that lots of small infractions = the equivalent of more serious infractions. We'll see when we know what the specific findings are.

If I had my druthers, our 'penalty' would be that we go on probation with no postseason ban / sholarship reductions / vacated wins, and that we have to commit to restructuring our compliance office.

Thanks for clarifying--if that's the case, it stinks but sign me up.

Vacated wins and probation--best case scenario, IMO.

And realistically with the vacated wins - I know it sucks that the record book won't show them anymore IF that is the penalty. But are any of us really going to forget all the wins in our heart or forget making the Final Four in Atlanta and not count them as wins? That sounds corny as hell but hopefully you all know what I'm getting at.

Taking away some wins would likely occur if Syracuse could cop a nolo type deal with the NCAA where we wouldn't get a postseason ban and admit Fab Melo or any player should have been eligible thus those wins should be vacated.

My recommendation is if we are truly innocent fight these charges to the full extent of the process, but if we are in the grey area then accept vacated wins, probation and maybe a loss scholarship or two. However, no way settle the case if a postseason ban is the offer unless we want to accept this year.

And realistically with the vacated wins - I know it sucks that the record book won't show them anymore IF that is the penalty. But are any of us really going to forget all the wins in our heart or forget making the Final Four in Atlanta and not count them as wins? That sounds corny as hell but hopefully you all know what I'm getting at.

Agreed...vacating wins is a symbolic and administrative result...no way you can take away the fact they actuallly, in reality happened...To be honest, I still think of JoePa as the all time leader in wins, no matter what the books now say...and no I am by no means advocating or supporting what happened at Ped St...just saying that you can erase from paper those wins, but not from people's memories/minds...

Taking away some wins would likely occur if Syracuse could cop a nolo type deal with the NCAA where we wouldn't get a postseason ban and admit Fab Melo or any player should have been eligible thus those wins should be vacated.

My recommendation is if we are truly innocent fight these charges to the full extent of the process, but if we are in the grey area then accept vacated wins, probation and maybe a loss scholarship or two. However, no way settle the case if a postseason ban is the offer unless we want to accept this year.

Agree 100%.

You knew this was going to take awhile for some real digging when "a source close to the situation " said " Throw a dart at the [NCAA] Manual [and you would hit a violation by Syracuse]." Lol
And then somebody came out with this
image.jpg

There is no way a 2 year postseason ban is in play. No way.

1 year postseason ban. I could see honestly. No way, No chance 2.

There is no way a 2 year postseason ban is in play. No way.

1 year postseason ban. I could see honestly. No way, No chance 2.

UNC is hoping the same...you know they will be intently following these proceedings...

Lots of variables here. How many wins vacated? Is it enough to make 1,000 unattainable? Enough to make jb have to suffer the embarrassment of passing 900 or bob knight a second time? If so, no way does he do that. I think he'd step down. I think vacated wins (see 2012 - Fab Melo), maybe others, are in play...scholarships probably too. The big deal here is the post season ban. Would love to sacrifice this year, but I'm pretty sure it can't be this year - which means 2016 if at all. That will be the big fight. I have no idea what the extra benefits are...that came out if the blue.

Agreed on the post season ban. I posted something similar earlier in the week. To me thats where Gross, the Chancellor whoever is fighting on our behalf needs to draw a line in the sand. A few vacated wins, a scholarship or two and probation wouldnt be pleasant but it would at least be doable. To me a post season ban would be very damaging, it needs to be avoided at all costs.

Agreed on the post season ban. I posted something similar earlier in the week. To me thats where Gross, the Chancellor whoever is fighting on our behalf needs to draw a line in the sand. A few vacated wins, a scholarship or two and probation wouldnt be pleasant but it would at least be doable. To me a post season ban would be very damaging, it needs to be avoided at all costs.

Again, UCONN won the National Championship following a postseason ban.

Again. Just saying.

Agreed...vacating wins is a symbolic and administrative result...no way you can take away the fact they actuallly, in reality happened...To be honest, I still think of JoePa as the all time leader in wins, no matter what the books now say...and no I am by no means advocating or supporting what happened at Ped St...just saying that you can erase from paper those wins, but not from people's memories/minds...

You're exactly right. I guess I would feel bad for JB if some of the wins were erased, but whatever bad things we did happened under his watch. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the game or appreciation for what he's done at SU. Which is why it was so funny/sad to see the PSU fans react the way they did to Paterno's wins being taken away.

Unless they give SU a TV ban for hoops or football I could care less about any of this. Post season ban? I'll just pretend SU lost their opening game, it still won't sting as much as Richmond or Vermont did. Vacate wins? Meaningless to me. Vacate Final Fours? I already watched the games and have them on DVD. Bad press? Sorry, doesn't affect me. I'm used to catching crap every time SU loses so no biggie. Force JB out? Dude's going to be 70 in 3 weeks. Harsh to say but his time is past and the future does not include Jim Boeheim anyhow.

I'm just glad they're only going back 10 years or they might find out about all the shots I used to buy Douglas and Brower back in the day. Or worse find out about all the shots Pearl used to buy me and everyone sitting at the bar while he was still in school.

Should be no post-season ban.
Should be no vacated wins.
Maybe a loss of schollies for basketball/football.
Maybe probation.

We self reported and suspended the players ourselves and only reinstated after approval from the NCAA...Plus the university made changes to correct the issue...if it is anything worse than what I listed, then I say tell the NCAA to go to hell and appeal...

O-o.

Vacated wins - will be all wins associated with ineligible players who played during time of ineligibility.

Suspension of scholies - equals number and years ineligible players were allowed to play but negotiable with post season suspension.

Post season suspension - up to 2 years but being negotiated (hopefully only 1 year).

Unknown Factor - Syverud being a legal mind (and dean of law schools previous jobs) can his involvement help to lesson impact of penalty.

Fall guy - someone at SUAD dropped the ball and will embarrass University. My opinion most likely Gross (changes are starting to make sense now) but could be and/or JB and all bball staff.

One thing is obvious - SU Bball will not escape (wish I were and hope am wrong) penalties. My hope now is in Syverud being new chancellor on campus will fix things and make changes at SUAD.

I think in 2013 there was a fall guy - last reported incident 2013 - New Director of Ed Affairs or something like that was hired.

Just remember negotiating 101 whatever the first offer is its crap and inflated.
There is a better chance I will admit that the Notre Dame Metlife series was a good deal for SU FB fans(I won't admit this ever because its simply isn't the truth FWIW) than Syracuse BB getting a 2 year postseason ban
. I think the NCAA might put that out there to try and get Syracuse to settle for 1 year, but unless they have hard evidence and precedent for a postseason ban we should remain firm on vacated wins/probation/lost scholarships.

Will the ncaa take into consideration the botched reffing in the OSU game, pulling Fab out before the NCAA tourney, and taking Chinos year away as punishment already? Wouldn't that be not double jeopardy but dare I say triple jeopardy?

Last edited:
Should be no post-season ban.
Should be no vacated wins.
Maybe a loss of schollies for basketball/football.
Maybe probation.

We self reported and suspended the players ourselves and only reinstated after approval from the NCAA...Plus the university made changes to correct the issue...if it is anything worse than what I listed, then I say tell the NCAA to go to hell and appeal...

I agree with this but you have to keep in mind there now appears to be an issue with extra benefits as well. As Jake noted that seems to have come out of nowhere and no one is sure what exactly that means. Is it something minimal is it a big issue no one knows. At this point with the NCAA its hard to know what were looking at. Could be a slap on the wrist or it could be a dropping of the hammer, there so inconsistent who the hell knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom