Expectations | Syracusefan.com

Expectations

OrangeFoo

All American
The problem with winning games like we did against Clemson is now people have expectations. Over the past 15 years or so of non-relevance we have had half a dozen of these so-called "program changing" wins and everyone, including people on this very board, proclaimed "the corner is turned" and "we're back"... Just about every one of those instances with the exception of Nassib's senior year (this one is for you GoSU96) has been followed by the program crashing back to earth hard. Given that backdrop, I'm curious to hear everyone's expectations for the rest of the year.

Realistically mine are 6-6 and a bowl game with wins against Wake and BC. However I wouldn't be surprised if we went 4-8 either. Winning is hard ladies and gentlemen, and at the end of the day we have an offensive line that is learning on the fly. Our talent isn't that much better than Wake and BC's and is worse than any of the other teams we face against our schedule. When you are not dominant from a talent standpoint I think wins and losses are equally likely... our ace up the sleeve is our coaching and system but our system can also hurt us. A few three and outs and big plays by the other team and we're in a hole we can't climb out of. Both BC and Wake have enough talent to score on big plays against us... I'm much more comfortable with our D if we can force them to grind it out. We still make too many mistakes on offense for my liking and any given week we could make one too many to lose the game.

So, yes I expect a bowl game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we missed out. What I do expect to see are games that are competitive from start to finish... no more blowouts. I expect the team to have fewer and fewer penalties each game. I expect a running game start to emerge. I expect Dungey to start really attacking the middle of the field every game. I expect Pierce to do enough to get all-acc mention going into next season. I also expect more injuries and more turnovers and a team that will be limping to the finish line because of lack of depth. I expect the o-line to struggle. I expect breakdowns in the secondary.

My final thought... bowl game or no bowl game I'm all aboard the Babers train and I do believe he deserves as much time as he needs and wants. He's proven that he can coach and he can make adjustments when needed. If Babers can't turn the program around, we're not going to find anyone else who can.

My expectation is to get to a Bowl game this year and then build off from that. I also expect more people to show up in the stands going forward for the next few home games.

The problem with winning games like we did against Clemson is now people have expectations. Over the past 15 years or so of non-relevance we have had half a dozen of these so-called "program changing" wins and everyone, including people on this very board, proclaimed "the corner is turned" and "we're back"... Just about every one of those instances with the exception of Nassib's senior year (this one is for you GoSU96) has been followed by the program crashing back to earth hard. Given that backdrop, I'm curious to hear everyone's expectations for the rest of the year.

Realistically mine are 6-6 and a bowl game with wins against Wake and BC. However I wouldn't be surprised if we went 4-8 either. Winning is hard ladies and gentlemen, and at the end of the day we have an offensive line that is learning on the fly. Our talent isn't that much better than Wake and BC's and is worse than any of the other teams we face against our schedule. When you are not dominant from a talent standpoint I think wins and losses are equally likely... our ace up the sleeve is our coaching and system but our system can also hurt us. A few three and outs and big plays by the other team and we're in a hole we can't climb out of. Both BC and Wake have enough talent to score on big plays against us... I'm much more comfortable with our D if we can force them to grind it out. We still make too many mistakes on offense for my liking and any given week we could make one too many to lose the game.

So, yes I expect a bowl game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we missed out. What I do expect to see are games that are competitive from start to finish... no more blowouts. I expect the team to have fewer and fewer penalties each game. I expect a running game start to emerge. I expect Dungey to start really attacking the middle of the field every game. I expect Pierce to do enough to get all-acc mention going into next season. I also expect more injuries and more turnovers and a team that will be limping to the finish line because of lack of depth. I expect the o-line to struggle. I expect breakdowns in the secondary.

I agree we are not over the hump just yet, however something very important happened Sat., this team saw that they can compete with anyone if they play from gun to gun. Mind set can be a very influential component of winning, believing you can win and eventually expecting to win.

Expectations are only a problem when they are unhinged from reality. I hope for the best, have seen the worst. Do some reading, looking at numbers. Arrive at kind of a reasonable middle ground, drink heavily during the game, avoid the board unless we really surprise like Friday night.

I think the expectations going forward are that we can beat anyone left on the schedule. This team feels different to me. Some those upsets in the past we hung around and stole one or caught a team looking past us. We just went toe to toe with arguably the best team in the country and beat them. It wasn't a fluke and they were lucky it was that close. I won't be pissed if we falter and end up 6-6 but we will go in to every game with the better qb. Haven't been able to say that since McNabb was here. It isn't always pretty with Dungey but damn if ain't a gamer. I know injuries happen but we're fine right now and I refuse to expect negative things to happen to this team. We've waited long enough for this, so, yeah, I expect us to win out!

4-8 - disappointed, but expecting big growth next year
5-7 - Before the Clemson win I would’ve been content, now I’ll be slightly disappointed. Still expecting big growth next year.
6-6 - Happy.
7-5 - Thrilled.
8-4 - Delirious with excitement.
9-3 - There are no words that exist that could describe it.

I'm content if we get to 6 wins and get a bowl appearance.

I think we can win more than that. I do think we need to remain pretty healthy. I also think a lot will depend on what our opponents feel like they're playing for.

Miami is playing for a lot. They're also kind of nicked up, might be overlooking us, haven't looked great for a few weeks and have eked out wins.

Florida State is playing for pride. If they have any more setbacks, they might quit.

If Wake wants a bowl, their best chances are against us and Duke. The rest of their schedule is nasty, and they have to deal with Georgia Tech.

Louisville feels fragile to me. Jackson is still awesome, but their season isn't going to be what they hoped for. Petrino isn't exactly a guy that bears down when times are tough. I could see them not caring if they lose more.

BC plays horrible football, but they will give a crap.

The remaining schedule isn't as daunting as it once appeared it would be. We do need to have our stuff together, and we do need some breaks. Getting to a bowl seems like a reasonable goal. Getting to 7 wins doesn't feel ridiculous. I'll be content with 6, a bowl appearance, and the fond memories of a big win for the home fans two years running.

4-8 - disappointed, but expecting big growth next year

At this point I would be much more surprised by this-
5-7 - Before the Clemson win I would’ve been content, now I’ll be slightly disappointed. Still expecting big growth next year.
6-6 - Happy.

Than this-
7-5 - Thrilled.
8-4 - Delirious with excitement.

Totally agree with this-
9-3 - There are no words that exist that could describe it.

Hope you’re right. Road wins have been hard to come by for awhile. That’s the next step. We had a chance at LSU and NC State, so very possible we get one.

The Clemson game started with a delay of game penalty. We ere penalized at one point in the third quarter into a fourth and 42 situation. And that play before Dungy made his great run and lunge to secure the first down? That was another delay of game penalty. It turned a critical third and two into a third and seven.

We were fortunate that the 100 yards of penalties and five or six sacks allowed did not sink us. This team has some bad mental lapses before the snap and the best things to say about the o line is that they are starting to hold their blocks and look better as the game goes on.

Winning on the road is tougher than winning at home. Miami may have poor attendance for our game but I cannot recall us ever winning there. I do recall getting torched in front of empty stands.

I will be rooting us on as always but we will need to cut down on mistakes and continue our player development to do better than 6-6.

My expectation is to get to a Bowl game this year and then build off from that. I also expect more people to show up in the stands going forward for the next few home games.
the home crowds are not going to get appreciably bigger, they will be worse than Clemson for the last two.

While it is true that we can beat anyone left on the schedule, the inverse is also true. That said, I have high expectations largely based on the defense, which is far better than any of us dared to imagine.

The ACC is much weaker this year than in the past 5 years and we are stronger.

We do have much better talent than BC and Wake, but we are young and inexperienced. We can have great games like Clemson, but we won't have the consistency we need week to week.

I look for us to beat Wake and BC at home. The Dome will be rocking for both games and we will have our DE'S and Cordy back. I also look for us to surprise one of the others, probably Louisville. So yes, 7-5 and a bowl victory for 8-5. 2013 redux.

We are ACC sized for once and pretty deep when healthy, if young. We have our best recruiting classes ahead of us and the cupboard is pretty stocked already. The bottom is nit falling out.

More importantly, as Dino has said ad nauseum, it takes until midway into the second year before the offense becomes second nature and the kids just play and don't have to think before acting. We are there and it shows.

Yup, 7-5 - 8-5.

LGO!!

The Clemson game started with a delay of game penalty. We ere penalized at one point in the third quarter into a fourth and 42 situation. And that play before Dungy made his great run and lunge to secure the first down? That was another delay of game penalty. It turned a critical third and two into a third and seven.

We were fortunate that the 100 yards of penalties and five or six sacks allowed did not sink us. This team has some bad mental lapses before the snap and the best things to say about the o line is that they are starting to hold their blocks and look better as the game goes on.

Winning on the road is tougher than winning at home. Miami may have poor attendance for our game but I cannot recall us ever winning there. I do recall getting torched in front of empty stands.

I will be rooting us on as always but we will need to cut down on mistakes and continue our player development to do better than 6-6.

We won there in ‘97. Should’ve won there in 2003.

But I agree, road wins are tough. We beat Clemson and hung with NCSU and LSU away, so I’m getting confident we can hang with anybody.

the home crowds are not going to get appreciably bigger, they will be worse than Clemson for the last two.

Depends. If we beat Miami and FSU (I know...long shot), the buzz around the program will be its highest in forever and I would expect very large crowds for the last two.

My expectations haven't changed... bowl game...

That hinges on health mainly, I think.

That being said, I'm more hopeful now that we have the ability to do better than my original expectations.

With Dungey healthy, and a good core of 4th year players in Slayton, Samuels, Franklin, Bennett, Phillips and Ishmael, the time to win and get a good bowl is now. Expected 7 wins pre-season -- same now. None of the remaining games is easy (BC pulled its own big upset) but this team is getting better and has a good chance for a special November.

When you see what Strickland, Pierce, Butler are adding to the offense and Robinson, Fredrick and Martin on defense, you can see this team coming together.

Is that 4th and 42 a typo?

The key is definitely health right now. We're nicked up pretty good and it's to the point where we are very thin in the secondary. Getting Cordy back will be huge. Really bummed cause I was hoping he'd be back for this one, chance to play in his home town the kid would ball out. If we can get some guys back and in the rotation on d that will be difference for the remainder of the season. Oline is starting to put it together.

Where was I? I don't remember a 4th and 42 vs Clemson.

There was a 4th and 41 at the SU 5 yard line with 3:52 to go in the third quarter. We started the drive on our 21, had a 15 yard penalty on Clemson...and then the stuff hit the fan with a holding call, an OPI on Ishmael and a sack...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom