FHCSS steps down at Maryland | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

FHCSS steps down at Maryland

maybe someone should post the spring game so the out of towners can comment on it.

Hope everything works out with Scott...he is a good man and is big on integrity and commitment...if there was something serious enough to make him remove himself from the position he took, then it must be serious...best of luck to him and family.

Ok.

Watch some BGSU games.

Watch for the lumbering fat pirate of a QB get 10 yards on every run.

Watch our games and see Dungey have to be a magician to get 10 OR get clobbered at the line. We ran by design or because he had to - but it wasn't with enough purpose or with enough protection built in. Lester (and Dungey) put himself in those situations.

The zone read is a part of the Babers/Briles system. Not a main component like RichRod. But it's run in certain scenarios (a coach or someone with more X's and O's knowledge would have to explain what the read is) and it's always for a large gain and the Bowling Green QB slid a lot at the end.

So I'd imagine Dungey will run in that very specific read/scenario and it will be followed by a slide. It will be intentional and will be by design - a safer play - than whatever we ran last year.

Thoughts?

I didn't read past this post, mostly because I was lazy, so this may have been explained already. The zone read element of an offense like Babers's is to get those easy ten yards you talk about.

It is a rather simple read in most cases. The read is the defensive lineman who is responsible for the C gap (the gap between the tackle and tight end) in the case of no TE the outside.

Most defenses teach their DL to close down when an offensive lineman gets an inside release and blocks down on the DT or up onto a LB. This unblocked DL is the man being read. Defenses teach their DL to close down to take on trap of kickout blocks coming from a pulling G or T or a FB lead blocking. If the DL stays in space it is opening a huge hole and it is an easy kickout block.

Since the DL is trying to make it a tough kickout block they will close down while squaring their shoulders down the line of scrimmage. This turning of the shoulders and closing down is what the QB is reading.

If the DL stays at home or closes down while still having their shoulders pointing into the backfield the QB will give the ball to the running back. A term that is used for QBs in this system is "give is good." In other words the OL is blocking (in most cases a zone blocking scheme) for the running back to get the ball. If the QB isn't sure what to do they should give the ball to the back since the OL is blocking for him.

When the QB keeps the ball it because the DL who was unblocked has turned down the line of scrimmage and cannot make the tackle. This allows the QB to get 10-15 or more yards with absolutely no defender to tackle them. Many coaches will tell their QBs to only keep the ball if they are guaranteed to get 25 yards. Of course they know a player's version of 25 yards is usually closer to 10-15.

If Dungey makes the correct reads and gives the ball when he isn't sure he shouldn't take too many hits.

People tend to overthink this. Its really very simple. it's a good man who wants to be with his family while they grow up

His youngest child was set to go to University of Maryland next fall, so not sure if that is the case.

I didn't read past this post, mostly because I was lazy, so this may have been explained already. The zone read element of an offense like Babers's is to get those easy ten yards you talk about.

It is a rather simple read in most cases. The read is the defensive lineman who is responsible for the C gap (the gap between the tackle and tight end) in the case of no TE the outside.

Most defenses teach their DL to close down when an offensive lineman gets an inside release and blocks down on the DT or up onto a LB. This unblocked DL is the man being read. Defenses teach their DL to close down to take on trap of kickout blocks coming from a pulling G or T or a FB lead blocking. If the DL stays in space it is opening a huge hole and it is an easy kickout block.

Since the DL is trying to make it a tough kickout block they will close down while squaring their shoulders down the line of scrimmage. This turning of the shoulders and closing down is what the QB is reading.

If the DL stays at home or closes down while still having their shoulders pointing into the backfield the QB will give the ball to the running back. A term that is used for QBs in this system is "give is good." In other words the OL is blocking (in most cases a zone blocking scheme) for the running back to get the ball. If the QB isn't sure what to do they should give the ball to the back since the OL is blocking for him.

When the QB keeps the ball it because the DL who was unblocked has turned down the line of scrimmage and cannot make the tackle. This allows the QB to get 10-15 or more yards with absolutely no defender to tackle them. Many coaches will tell their QBs to only keep the ball if they are guaranteed to get 25 yards. Of course they know a player's version of 25 yards is usually closer to 10-15.

If Dungey makes the correct reads and gives the ball when he isn't sure he shouldn't take too many hits.

That makes a lot of sense relative to when I saw it run at BGSU. Thanks for the in-depth take. Great stuff.

Which could mean that the reason we ran so much of it in the Spring Game was to get Dungey accustomed to his reads in a safe environment.

Which would also make a lot of sense.

Spring game is used for a lot more than making fans happy and showing vanilla offensive sets. Or at least it should be.

OrangePA said:
Yes, it was an attempt to be funny - I understood that. But, I think it would be more accurate to say that George McDonald's offense "stunk."
Our offense has more or less stunk for all but one or two seasons since McNabb left.

I don't know if the following had anything to do with his decision, but there were a lot of chiefs at UMD and not many indians.

I can see that imbalance being an issue.

I don't know if the following had anything to do with his decision, but there were a lot of chiefs at UMD and not many indians.

But shouldn't the DC be one of the chiefs? I'd like you to expound more on the subject.

That's not he issue.

But shouldn't the DC be one of the chiefs? I'd like you to expound more on the subject.
That's the problem. There was a HC/P5 fDC, a DC/P5 fHC, a DL/P5 fHC, an assistant HC/g5 fHC, and an OC. Does that not seem like a lot of guys who are used to calling shots to you - especially on the defensive side of the ball? There could have been too many people calling shots and not enough people following orders.

That's the problem. There was a HC/P5 fDC, a DC/P5 fHC, a DL/P5 fHC, an assistant HC/g5 fHC, and an OC. Does that not seem like a lot of guys who are used to calling shots to you - especially on the defensive side of the ball? There could have been too many people calling shots and not enough people following orders.
Too many kooks in the kitchen.

Sorry, just disagree with you.

Lester did a very good job in the very brief time he had.

Babers will have the advantage of having a seasoned QB, and a number of very talented young RBs who seem to fit his system pretty well.
i agree for the most part. i still feel that strickland was under utilized. the guy has the magic of a playmaker

i agree for the most part. i still feel that strickland was under utilized. the guy has the magic of a playmaker
I don't think he was under used as much as the previous staff just didn't have the experience to compete in a major conference on the offensive side.
You get what you pay for.
Were they bad coaches...no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom