FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

[quote alsacs, post: 1076289, member: 652"]

They qualified for nothing. The coach was bad but their roster is the problem.

This. Though remember money solves all problems in the Premiership. Anything can be fixed over a long enough time horizon.

Agree 100%. Want to see Yedlin and some other young prospects find their way to Europe. MLS is a good training ground, but we need guys getting experience against world-class competition.

I think this is the key to Jurgen staying. He won't stay unless there is a project where he can see a pathway to success.

Last edited:
Other than the WC, what other international tourneys or games are there?

Chelsea is loaded. Look at a guy like Courtois. We could never let it go to penalties today because he wasn't letting more than three in. If it's a fair fight, then he will beat out Cech. Then you have Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Ramires, Schurrle, Matic and now Costa up front. It's an unbelievable midfield. Chelsea would have won the league last year if they had taken care of business against bad sides. It shouldn't be wide open next season. Mourinho will deliver a victory parade along the Kings Road once again.

and Cesc.

Other than the WC, what other international tourneys or games are there?

Every continent (confederation to be exact) holds a tournament in the non-WC years. Europe (UEFA) and S. America (CONMEBOL) are every four years in the even number years. N. America (CONCACAF) and (as of 2013) Africa (CAF) is every two years in the odd number years. Other than that, you have the Confederations Cup in the year before the World Cup in host country. The Olympics is age-restricted (23 and under with 3 players over 23 allowed per team.)

Every continent (confederation to be exact) holds a tournament in the non-WC years. Europe (UEFA) and S. America (CONMEBOL) are every four years in the even number years. N. America (CONCACAF) and (as of 2013) Africa (CAF) is every two years in the odd number years. Other than that, you have the Confederations Cup in the year before the World Cup in host country. The Olympics is age-restricted (23 and under with 3 players over 23 allowed per team.)
This is correct except the Copa America is the year after the World Cup.
In 2016 they are hosting an additional Copa America in the USA as part as the 100 year anniversary of the tournament. That 2016 Copa America is a joint affair 10 South America teams, USA,Mexico and the 4 other top finishers in next year's Gold Cup. This tournament in the Americas is to show the Euro Championship it can have competition.

lol I'm going to have to do a little research before I pick an EPL league. I'll prolly just start watching any match I can find, and see which team jumps out at me

Feel free to choose Liverpool if you want to root for Luis Suarez. Also, note that they have the same ownership as the ever so lovable Red Sox.

CuseTroop said:
lol I'm going to have to do a little research before I pick an EPL league. I'll prolly just start watching any match I can find, and see which team jumps out at me

Spurs.

Great play at times, heartache at others, drama, and getting so close.

Sound familiar?

Or find a player or two who you really like watching during this World Cup and check out the club team he plays for.

Feel free to choose Liverpool if you want to root for Luis Suarez. Also, note that they have the same ownership as the ever so lovable Red Sox.

Suarez will be Barca's problem next year. With their transfer ban coming Itll be til death do them part.

Regardless how you feel about the red sox, fsg runs a sustainable and profitable operation especially compared to the last clowns we had. Its fun to watch a team build vs watching oil money buy as well.

This. Though remember money solves all problems in the Premiership. Anything can be fixed over a long enough time horizon.

It can and united make a ton of money however most of It is leveraged to pay existing debt before it comes in. Their books look a bit like the US federal budget of the last two decades.

Chelsea is loaded. Look at a guy like Courtois. We could never let it go to penalties today because he wasn't letting more than three in. If it's a fair fight, then he will beat out Cech. Then you have Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Ramires, Schurrle, Matic and now Costa up front. It's an unbelievable midfield. Chelsea would have won the league last year if they had taken care of business against bad sides. It shouldn't be wide open next season. Mourinho will deliver a victory parade along the Kings Road once again.

On raw ability courtois would win out but cech commending the back line might be missed. Mourinho is tough to figure out. If Chelsea could score last season they walk away with the title. They were deficient yet somehow couldn't make room for de bruyne, or lukaku and their one dangerous player is now on his way out.

The only EPL team I root for is Everton. It's crazy how hard it is to get a Tim Howard GK jersey in the US.

The Copa America is coming to the USA in 2016 that will be fun and rival Euro 2016.
If you say so... but you'll be the only one doing so.

PeteCalvin said:
Wondo, Wondo, Wondo... Oh Lord:bang:Oh Lord Sorry, had to say it. Donovan pounds that home. Otherwise, HOLY CRAP what a set piece they ran for Dempsey. If he one touches it, it's the equalizer. No doubt in my mind.

I love Dempsey. Loved him at Fulham & that he was the best American playing out in the BPL for years.

But that blown first touch on the set piece is a WAY bigger choke job than Wondo. Deuce gets a pass because he's earned it throughout his career, but he was disappointing against Belgium. He knew the ball was coming to him & blew it.

IMO, the US will never run with the big dogs until they have a world class striker. A stone cold clinical finisher who is always a threat. We've never had that. And sorry, Jozy has yet to prove his mettle.

People can bitch about midfielders all they want but gimme a beast #9 on a stingy/counter attacking team like the US was in Brazil and you'll always have a chance.

[quote"NailstheCusefan12, post: 1076536, member: 776"]The only EPL team I root for is Everton. It's crazy how hard it is to get a Tim Howard GK jersey in the US.[/quote]

So youll be cheering for Villa once Guzan takes the reigns I presume?

I love Dempsey. Loved him at Fulham & that he was the best American playing out in the BPL for years.

But that blown first touch on the set piece is a WAY bigger choke job than Wondo. Deuce gets a pass because he's earned it throughout his career, but he was disappointing against Belgium. He knew the ball was coming to him & blew it.

IMO, the US will never run with the big dogs until they have a world class striker. A stone cold clinical finisher who is always a threat. We've never had that. And sorry, Jozy has yet to prove his mettle.

People can bitch about midfielders all they want but gimme a beast #9 on a stingy/counter attacking team like the US was in Brazil and you'll always have a chance.

To be fair none of the world cup favorites have an out and out world class 9 In their starting 11. Brasil is sadly lacking there, none of Argentina's front 3 are out and out 9s, and Germany's true 9 now makes cameo's off the bench. The recent fallen giant that was Spain always lacked a true 9 as well. What you need is speed in attack to run at defenders or run off their back shoulder if they press up the pitch. Even if Jozy hadn't scored if he plays he gives us that. This is also what makes Julian Green so appealing and why Bedoya gets so much run despite an apparent lack of much else to offer.

ImperialOrange said:
To be fair none of the world cup favorites have an out and out world class 9 In their starting 11. Brasil is sadly lacking there, none of Argentina's front 3 are out and out 9s, and Germany's true 9 now makes cameo's off the bench. The recent fallen giant that was Spain always lacked a true 9 as well. What you need is speed in attack to run at defenders or run off their back shoulder if they press up the pitch. Even if Jozy hadn't scored if he plays he gives us that. This is also what makes Julian Green so appealing and why Bedoya gets so much run despite an apparent lack of much else to offer.

Good points. While many elite teams don't have a true striker they have 1-2 world class finishers. So while they may protect a Messi or Ronaldo by putting them outside or start from deeper on the pitch, they still have insane finishing skills that we lack. Rodriguez from Colombia is another one.

That's more of what I meant - I don't care if it's a pure striker, winger or deep lying midfielder; we'll never be a true threat to win a WC until we have one attacking player who possesses top-flight finishing skills.

If you say so... but you'll be the only one doing so.
I never said it would be better than Euro 2016 but the Copa America 2016 will be a great event and with Argentina, Brazil, Columbia, Uruguay, Mexico, United States, Chile and that is a great foundation for a tournament. Euro is a great competition but if the Euro Championships were like the 2004 Euros where Greece won it the Copa America 2016 could be better.

Good points. While many elite teams don't have a true striker they have 1-2 world class finishers. So while they may protect a Messi or Ronaldo by putting them outside or start from deeper on the pitch, they still have insane finishing skills that we lack. Rodriguez from Colombia is another one.

That's more of what I meant - I don't care if it's a pure striker, winger or deep lying midfielder; we'll never be a true threat to win a WC until we have one attacking player who possesses top-flight finishing skills.

I feel like the true in the box #9's are going the way of true Centers in basketball. The game is too fast and most teams require attackers to track back vs sitting high up the pitch looking to poach.

I'm really curious to see how Costa does at Chelsea because of this. Atletico was so solid in defense that they didn't ask much of him in defense. Mourinho requires defensive work from his attackers and in the EPL most attacks are far superior to all but a handful of La Liga leagues so he'll have to work more and potentially pick up possession further from goal as result.

Saw an interview with Tim Howard this morning. What a great ambassador of USA Soccer. It's too bad he's 35 and this is probably his last World Cup.

Andrew Cuomo on CNN said it best, he represents USA.. The look, the tattoos, a strong moral backbone, man of faith who loves his family.

Ann Coulter was right, soccer is ruining our moral integrity with superstars like that :rolleyes:

2 players for the USA who can make a difference are 17 year old Gideon Zelalem from Arsenal and Shawn Parker from FC Augsburg if we can get these guys look out USA. Zelalem should be a lock because he is in the process of finishing his US citizenship and he is a stud. Parker should see what Julian Green did and come onboard the US train. Also Zelalem is a true no.10 which the USA hasn't had so watch Arsenal and watch his development with Arsene Wegner.

2 players for the USA who can make a difference are 17 year old Gideon Zelalem from Arsenal and Shawn Parker from FC Augsburg if we can get these guys look out USA. Zelalem should be a lock because he is in the process of finishing his US citizenship and he is a stud. Parker should see what Julian Green did and come onboard the US train. Also Zelalem is a true no.10 which the USA hasn't had so watch Arsenal and watch his development with Arsene Wegner.
Arsenal is a great place for a young player to develop. Wenger is excellent in that regard.