FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

I'd say Man U is more like UCLA. Man City I'll go with Florida, mostly because their history is patchy but in recent seasons they've become a dominant, title winning side.

Stoke is spot on!!!

Man U would be UCLA if they were in London. I went with UConn because of the success, the relatively smaller area, and the fact that they are sons of *****s.

Man City is Kentucky w/ Cal in charge. Were mid table until a HUGE influx of cash, and now both just outspend everyone else on player wages.

Their owner is bat crazy and as long as he's in charge they won't be more than mid table. Their fans are legit though and the tyne-wear derby is amazing.
It only works if he sells the team. Assuming that the top-tier clubs are already bought, who would you buy if you were looking for the right combo of return on investment and great football? Newcastle jumps out to me right away.

It only works if he sells the team. Assuming that the top-tier clubs are already bought, who would you buy if you were looking for the right combo of return on investment and great football? Newcastle jumps out to me right away.

Aston Villa whom are for sale at the moment. GREAT fan base that Lerner has done nothing for in terms of product on the pitch but big stadium and could be the big midlands club.

bnoro said:
Arsenal

COYS

If I had the wings of a sparrow
If I had the arse of a crow
I'd fly over arsenal tomorrow
And ship on the bastages below

Funny thing about that article because it was written 6+ years ago and some of those generalizations are no longer correct. Some teams have new owners and some teams listed aren't currently relevant... ahem Fulham
Yeah it was written after the 2006 WC it's not completely updated but was good at weeding out the contenders. Their are only like 6 or 7 legit teams to pick from IMO.

WCFullchart.jpg

You mean Stoke is a team that likes to clutch, grab, set moving screens, and fizzle out in the post-season?

They pride themselves on tremendous defense, a tough home atmosphere, and tons of physicality.

To be fair, Mark Hughes is trying to alter their style a little bit. Stoke also has our boy Geoff Cameron.

They pride themselves on tremendous defense, a tough home atmosphere, and tons of physicality.

To be fair, Mark Hughes is trying to alter their style a little bit. Stoke also has our boy Geoff Cameron.

Stoke is a team full of walking Red Cards with Huth and Shawcross but yes Hughes did try and improve their style of play.

Holy crap my soccer source is telling me that Julian Green is likely going to get loaned to the Tottenham Hotspur because of Klinsmann's history and Bayern Munich smartly wants Green to get exposure on USA TV so if he went back to Bayern Munich they would have a USA star to sell jerseys here. Green to Spurs would be great.

Euro 2016.

Can't wait.

Other than Costa Rica who are about to get smacked I could care less about the rest of the world cup

Euro expansion his ruined that tournament. 16 teams was perfect now going to 24 is going to ruin that tournament. UEFA has 53 members I believe now with 24 that tournament is not the same.
Copa America 2016 will be awesome.

Do their fans steal cheers and names from other teams' fans? And does their coach hang out on the pitch during games? ;)

Geoff Cameron = Zavackas?

Euro expansion his ruined that tournament. 16 teams was perfect now going to 24 is going to ruin that tournament. UEFA has 53 members I believe now with 24 that tournament is not the same.
Copa America 2016 will be awesome.
Disagree.

They need to add more European spots to the World Cup IMO, Sweden Denmark, and Ukraine top at least 20 teams in the tournament.

Copa America will never ever match euro.

I like the new format.

Copa America 2016 quarters:

Brazil: Costa Rica
Chile: Mexico
USA: Colombia
Argentina: Uruguay

Sounds good to me. And it's going to be in the US? Sign me up.

C
Disagree.

They need to add more European spots to the World Cup IMO, Sweden Denmark, and Ukraine top at least 20 teams in the tournament.

Copa America will never ever match euro.

I like the new format.
13/32 slots is enough for UEFA. Only 6 of those 13 reached the knockout round. This is the World Cup not Europe's Cup. CONCACAF showed it deserves its 3.5 slots with 3 of 4 teams in the Final 16. Asia got 4 bids and 0 reached the knockout round and Africa got 5 bids and 2 reached the knockout round. South America got 6 bids and 5 reached the knockout round. Sweden and Ukraine both had chances to qualify and lost playoffs no more bids for Europe.

Expanding Euro 2016 from 16 teams to 24 teams dilutes that tournament. The fact 2/3s of the teams will reach the knockout round is a joke.

Ok, enough of the EPL league crap. Time to reverse-hijack this thread. Who is everyone pulling for now that our boys are out if it?

The English in me says "definitely not France", so no brainer there. Beyond that, I am torn.

The Dutch in me says to go with Robben and Robin, which isn't so bad because I like their style but LOATHE admitted divin (Robben).

The German in me says Germany, and that wouldn't be so bad. They are strong and score a lot, but can be boring too. And Muller is a cocky SOB.

The Irish in me already celebrated when Italy went home.

I'm not Belgian, but I do love waffles, and since I am also 1/4 Canadian, have a sweet tooth for maple. Also, I respect the heck out of that team for how they played against us (no cheap shite), and there is much to be said for seeing the ones that beat you win the whole thing. But that Screech Sweathog guy...ugh.

I've never been partial to Brazil, and since they have the home field advantage, I gotta pass on them.

I'm a religious mutt as well, and the Catholic side of me says "Pope Francis is from Argentina", but Jesus isn't walking out on that field, unfortunately. Just Messi, Di Maria and 9 other guys. They need the Hand of God to get all the way through. Although, I did once know a DeMaria, so they could be a possibility.

Columbia is an interesting possibility. Very talented, fun to watch, but my ex-brother in law was part Columbian and a weasel. Sorry Carlos Valderamma, gonna have to pass.

That leaves Costa Rica...the Cinderella Story. CONCACAF's lone warrior. I love Campbell. Dude has game. They are as far as they have ever gone and deserve respect for what they have achieved. That said, chances are slim they go any farther, so not much fun picking a one-and-done.

So, the big decision. Who should I throw lots in with? Do I go with heritage? Do I go with style of play? Do I go with a cool player?

Sigh...ok here we go.

Costa Rica...sorry, but my Dutch mates make mince meat out of you. I'm going with Robin VP...for now.

Colombia...I am a fan for one game. Take out Brazil and I might send a card to my ex-brother in law.

Germany. Yep. It's gotta be Germany...at least until they force France's unconditional surrender by halftime.

At the risk of getting a nasty phone call from Pope Francis, I can't cheer for his native land. The ghosts of Maradona linger. I like Messi, and my daughter LOVES him, but I'll risk the cold shoulder for a week.

I'm pulling for a Netherlands - Belgium final. I want to see new blood on the throne of World Futbol. I like both teams and can support either one openly and honestly as they hoist the trophy. Belgium earned a ton of respect from me last night. They have some straight up ballers. That would be a dynamite offensive match-up. As for my top choice...it's going to come down to the Sweathog, unfortunately. Can I cheer for him? Gosh. That hair. That bloody mop! The whining. Nope. New Netherland all the way!!! But watch out for the Waffles.

The Final is going to be Argentina vs. Brazil so I would go for Brazil over Messi.

I would like Belgium or Netherlands they are both classy teams and have never won it.

C

13/32 slots is enough for UEFA. Only 6 of those 13 reached the knockout round. This is the World Cup not Europe's Cup. CONCACAF showed it deserves its 3.5 slots with 3 of 4 teams in the Final 16. Asia got 4 bids and 0 reached the knockout round and Africa got 5 bids and 2 reached the knockout round. South America got 6 bids and 5 reached the knockout round. Sweden and Ukraine both had chances to qualify and lost playoffs no more bids for Europe.

Expanding Euro 2016 from 16 teams to 24 teams dilutes that tournament. The fact 2/3s of the teams will reach the knockout round is a joke.
I get it but Sweden and Ukraine can make half the teams in it look silly

In my humble opinion.

Iran rly Iran should be in this? Africa should lose a spot as well. They have yet to make a semi. And likely never will.

Last edited:
The Final is going to be Argentina vs. Brazil so I would go for Brazil over Messi.

I would like Belgium or Netherlands they are both classy teams and have never won it.
Argentina Brazil would be a sick final.