FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Feel free to choose Liverpool if you want to root for Luis Suarez. Also, note that they have the same ownership as the ever so lovable Red Sox.

Well, Just scratched Liverpool off my list. lol

I never said it would be better than Euro 2016 but the Copa America 2016 will be a great event
It could become a good event if it became a recurring event and included proper/fair qualification.

I'm not thrilled with the expanded field for Euro 2016 either. What would be a tournament of (hopefully the top) 1/3 of the member nations, will now include almost 45% of the members countries... all because Wales & Scotland complained about their diminishing chances of qualifying in an expanding association.

Had to watch on DVR late at night. Amazingly missed all the results. My only thought, and this isn't a second guessing type deal..I felt this way all along. Wondo should not have been on the team. He's not high level international player. Any other forward in our rotation that was not there. Johnson, Gomez, etc finishes that. JMO.

Still as others said still a good World Cup. Getting out of that group was a great achivement, but we're not at the top level yet until we get better skilled mids

Wondo over Donovan was pure spite from Klinsmann. He didn't want Donovan on the team. Wondo is your classic AAAA baseball player he is better than AAA but not good enough for the show. They play different positions but Donovan would have helped more than Wondo. I am okay Klinsmann didn't pick Donovan either.
If that shot had gone in from Wondo it would have wrongful been waived off.

If that shot had gone in from Wondo it would have wrongful been waived off.
I doubt it. Although that was the initial impression, the announcer corrected himself and indicated that the flag went up to point to a goal kick.

It could become a good event if it became a recurring event and included proper/fair qualification.

I'm not thrilled with the expanded field for Euro 2016 either. What would be a tournament of (hopefully the top) 1/3 of the member nations, will now include almost 45% of the members countries... all because Wales & Scotland complained about their diminishing chances of qualifying in an expanding association.
If the USA and Mexico ever wanted to join COMNEBOL tomorrow that federation would add us in a minute. Smartly the USA and Mexico realize how much easier it is to qualify out of CONCACAF but if we wanted to up our competition that would be a way. Mexico and the USA have been offered guest spots in the Copa America for years since they only have 10 teams but when the USA accepted in 2007 they sent a C team and pissed off the COMNEBOL people Mexico always sent good teams but because it was right after the Gold Cup it didn't work. 2016 is going to work because everyone will send A teams and their is good quality. The 10 SA countries, USA, Mexico and 4 more CONCACAF teams is very fair.

Well, Just scratched Liverpool off my list. lol

We can have some fun scrathing teams of your list. Let me know if any of these register for you to hate them for the other major players in EPL.

Arsenal owner - Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke - Owns the Denver Nuggets, St Louis Rams, Colorado Avs, is named after St Louis Cards players and is a UMizzouri alum.

Chelsea owner - Roman Arkadyevich Abramovich - Russian oil billionaire

Manchester City - Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan - deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, middle eastern oil billionaire

Manchester United - Malcolm Irving Glazer(RIP) - now owned by his family who also own the Tampa Bay Bucs

I think Arsenal and Syracuse (hoops) are similar. Always one of the top teams. Sputters out late in the season. Veteran coach who the media loves to poke and prod.

We can have some fun scrathing teams of your list. Let me know if any of these register for you to hate them for the other major players in EPL.

Arsenal owner - Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke - Owns the Denver Nuggets, St Louis Rams, Colorado Avs, is named after St Louis Cards players and is a UMizzouri alum.

Chelsea owner - Roman Arkadyevich Abramovich - Russian oil billionaire

Manchester City - Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan - deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, middle eastern oil billionaire

Manchester United - Malcolm Irving Glazer(RIP) - now owned by his family who also own the Tampa Bay Bucs

Arsenal- Always wanted to have a buddy named Stan. "Yo, Whatup Stannnnnnnnnn" always seemed like it would be cool to say lol

Chelsea- Dated a chick in highschool named Chelsea. She was the "new girl", rocking rear end. Batshit crazy. Faked a pregnancy when I tried to break up with her. Bought her 2 months until I figured out she wasent getting bigger. Legit tried to eat more to gain weight. Got I wasted a solid 3 months of hooking up on her. They are out.

Manchester City- Not enough to go on to hate or like. I will learn more about this team before I make a decision

Manchester United- Not enough to go on to hate or like. I will learn more about this team before I make a decision

is there a rivalry between the two manchesters?

I think Arsenal and Syracuse (hoops) are similar. Always one of the top teams. Sputters out late in the season. Veteran coach who the media loves to poke and prod.

I can see that. The rebuilding on Liverpool and the rebuilding of Syracuse football have been coinciding nicely for me as a fan of both. Both have great history and passionate fan bases. Both have been competing against and will continue to compete with bigger money factories thus will have to be built differently but with a good chance of sustainability once they return. Difference is Syracuse football takes about 2x as long.

Arsenal- Always wanted to have a buddy named Stan. "Yo, Whatup Stannnnnnnnnn" always seemed like it would be cool to say lol

Chelsea- Dated a chick in highschool named Chelsea. She was the "new girl", rocking rear end. Batshit crazy. Faked a pregnancy when I tried to break up with her. Bought her 2 months until I figured out she wasent getting bigger. Legit tried to eat more to gain weight. Got I wasted a solid 3 months of hooking up on her. They are out.

Manchester City- Not enough to go on to hate or like. I will learn more about this team before I make a decision

Manchester United- Not enough to go on to hate or like. I will learn more about this team before I make a decision

Read the Bill Simmons artilce Jekelish posted that is well done.

Big time. The same reason Syracuse doesn't have natural rival is the same reason rivalries are ingrained in the EPL. Manchester have 2 teams, Liverpool have 2 teams, London have 4-6 teams in a given year, and Newcastle v Sunderland are both in the North East. Matches between local rivals are referred to as Derbies.

http://www.footballderbies.com/index.php?country=1

This site rates them based on ferocity and gives a bit of histories on club accomplishments

http://soccerlens.com/football-derbies/19322/

This kind of gives a broader scope of what derbies are and what drives them.

http://soccerlens.com/football-derbies-europe/17835/

Here are the European specific derbies.

Last edited:
Read the Bill Simmons artilce Jekelish posted that is well done.

Funny thing about that article because it was written 6+ years ago and some of those generalizations are no longer correct. Some teams have new owners and some teams listed aren't currently relevant... ahem Fulham

Let me try this another way. EPL teams with their college basketball equivalent

Liverpool - Syracuse
Everton - Georgetown
Man United - UConn
Man City - Kentucky
Chelsea - UNC
Arsenal - Arizona
Tottenham - Villanova
Stoke - Pitt

My favorite derbies in UK:

1. North London Derby: Arsenal v Spurs
2. Tyne-Wear Derby: Sunderland v Newcastle
3. Merseyside Derby: Liverpool v Everton
4: Manchester Derby: United vs City

Let me try this another way. EPL teams with their college basketball equivalent

Liverpool - Syracuse
Everton - Georgetown
Man United - UConn
Man City - Kentucky
Chelsea - UNC
Arsenal - Arizona
Tottenham - Villanova
Stoke - Pitt

I'd say Man U is more like UCLA. Man City I'll go with Florida, mostly because their history is patchy but in recent seasons they've become a dominant, title winning side.

Stoke is spot on!!!

If you want to get on the ground floor, look at Newcastle. Tremendous tradition. Superb stadium that could built up even further. Great fan support.

Has a slightly crazy owner. Perfect candidate to be scoped up by an American hedge fund/Russian oligarch/Middle Eastern family business.

Town is not great but it does have an English beer named after it (which can be good or bad depending on how you like your beer).

If you want to get on the ground floor, look at Newcastle. Tremendous tradition. Superb stadium that could built up even further. Great fan support.

Has a slightly crazy owner. Perfect candidate to be scoped up by an American hedge fund/Russian oligarch/Middle Eastern family business.

Town is not great but it does have an English beer named after it (which can be good or bad depending on how you like your beer).
But Alan Pardew...

Their owner is bat crazy and as long as he's in charge they won't be more than mid table. Their fans are legit though and the tyne-wear derby is amazing.