FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Brazil is a shell of what they used to be.

Italy, and later on the US, have always been my teams but Brazil was always my favorite team to watch.

Go on youtube and watch some of the games from the 1982 World Cup and look at the intricate one and two-touch passing - as if the ball is on a string and the string is tied to each player's ankle.

Brazil needs to get back to their roots and start playing Brazilian soccer again.

Brazil is a shell of what they used to be.

Italy, and later on the US, have always been my teams but Brazil was always my favorite team to watch.

Go on youtube and watch some of the games from the 1982 World Cup and look at the intricate one and two-touch passing - as if the ball is on a string and the string is tied to each player's ankle.

Brazil needs to get back to their roots and start playing Brazilian soccer again.
Don't need to. Watched Germany do it in the box against Brazil.

Dunga killed Brazilian soccer when he wanted to play defensive style. The talent on this year's squad was never scary like Spain, Germany, Belgium threw out there.

I was told by my BPL buddy that only 2 players in the last 46 years have won the Ballon d'or from FIFA playing in the BPL.
That is crazy why isn't the elite talent playing in the BPL which is flush with money.

I was told by my BPL buddy that only 2 footballers in the last 46 years have won the Ballon d'or from FIFA playing in the BPL.
That is crazy why isn't the elite talent playing in the BPL which is flush with money.

Technically correct since the BPL has only existed since 1990. There have beensix all time from England but England hasnt always been the biggest league either.

I am sure I'm saying what most already have on this thread, but to be honest, I am too lazy to sift right now. Will get to it though. Anyway, passing, playmaking from Kroose and Lahm. Then you have Muller, Klose, Khedira now. Just too much trouble. I wanted to predict Netherlands-Germany final even though it's in South America. I thought it had a chance to happen, still obviously does. But I had Netherlands winning it. Neither them nor Argentina have a fighting chance now. Like I said, too much trouble. So many weapons in midfield and forward in the box. This was a terrible defensive effort by the home side, but give Germany all the credit for that passing, unselfish play.

Technically correct since the BPL has only existed since 1990. There have beensix all time from England but England hasnt always been the biggest league either.
Will this new influx of money the premiere teams are generating now get the Messi, Ribery, Ronaldo talent back in England? I was shocked that the player of the year has been on Barcelona or Real Madrid A LOT.

I am sure I'm saying what most already have on this thread, but to be honest, I am too lazy to sift right now. Will get to it though. Anyway, passing, playmaking from Kroose and Lahm. Then you have Muller, Klose, Khedira now. Just too much trouble. I wanted to predict Netherlands-Germany final even though it's in South America. I thought it had a chance to happen, still obviously does. But I had Netherlands winning it. Neither them nor Argentina have a fighting chance now. Like I said, too much trouble. So many weapons in midfield and forward in the box. This was a terrible defensive effort by the home side, but give Germany all the credit for that passing, unselfish play.
To defend against Germany you have to clog the midfield. Netherlands have a better chance against Germany because they play a 5-3-2 but I think Argentina beats them and Germany beat Argentina.

Also there have been 10 players that have won it twice or more making up 25 of the total awards. In 59 years there have only been 44 different winners.

[quote="Alsacs, post: 1080380, member: 652]Will this new influx of money the premiere teams are generating now get the Messi, Ribery, Ronaldo talent back in England? I was shocked that the player of the year has been on Barcelona or Real Madrid A LOT.[/quote]
Its a lot easier to put up gaudy numbers In a league filled with 75% cupcakes. Ronaldos numbers at united were nowhere close to his numbers at Real, likely because oppsing teams aren't beating the hell out of him all year. Same thing with Shevchenko who won it at milan then was largly ineffective at Chelsea right after.James Rodriguez recently stated he has no interest in coming to the epl for the same reason.

[quote="Alsacs, post: 1080380, member: 652]Will this new influx of money the premiere teams are generating now get the Messi, Ribery, Ronaldo talent back in England? I was shocked that the player of the year has been on Barcelona or Real Madrid A LOT.
Its a lot easier to put up gaudy numbers In a league filled with 75% cupcakes. Ronaldos numbers at united were nowhere close to his numbers at Real, likely because oppsing teams aren't beating the hell out of him all year. Same thing with Shevchenko who won it at milan then was largly ineffective at Chelsea right after.James Rodriguez recently stated he has no interest in coming to the epl for the same reason.[/quote]
Stats should not be the only factor then to determine POY. If somebody scores 30 goals like Suarez who was the best player in the BPL it should matter more than 50 goals against cream puffs.
The bottom of La Liga are truly dregs it seems like 4 or 5 teams completely dominate that league.

[quote="Alsacs, post: 1080380, member: 652]Will this new influx of money the premiere teams are generating now get the Messi, Ribery, Ronaldo talent back in England? I was shocked that the player of the year has been on Barcelona or Real Madrid A LOT.
Its a lot easier to put up gaudy numbers In a league filled with 75% cupcakes. Ronaldos numbers at united were nowhere close to his numbers at Real, likely because oppsing teams aren't beating the hell out of him all year. Same thing with Shevchenko who won it at milan then was largly ineffective at Chelsea right after.James Rodriguez recently stated he has no interest in coming to the epl for the same reason.[/quote]
Don't you dare diss Sheva!

Don't you dare diss Sheva!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Shevchenko

I'm not at all. The man could play and has a stellar career but it becomes clear very quickly that the competition that is the epl is a different breed. Sheva scored 59 champions league goals which is third best ever. At Kyiv he averaged a goal every other game, went to milan where he scored in 2 out of every 3 games, went to chelsea and only scored 9 goals in 48 apperences, then finished out with Kyiv averaging a goal every other goal like he started. I think it tells quite a story that the epl was able to contain him that much.

Teams 1-4 are solid in most leagues but what makes the epl a grind are spots 5-20. United finished 7th last year and Liverpool finished 8th the year prior. What other league could that ever happen in baring being subjected to a fifa punishment or financial troubles?

Germany 1 USA 0

Seems pretty good now.

(though imagine if Germany doesn't close the deal)

What is the transitive property of soccer? Do these games mean the USA is somehow better than Brazil now?

The primary virtue of soccer is normally that all the games are so low-scoring there's no such thing as a blow out. Germany dominated us but it was only 0-1. All we needed was one break and it's a tie. But that didn't hold today. Brazil was never even in it.

What is the transitive property of soccer? Do these games mean the USA is somehow better than Brazil now?

There isn't really a lot as it pertains to our Germany match. Since had them game 3 in our group when they had nothing really to play for aside from not letting us score or beat them.

Soccer is more about how particular teams match up as well as tactics used. Brazil thougt they could run out vs Germany and was proven wrong quickly and repeatedly. US came out under control and holding position well to keep from being on the bad end of a beating. We may not have the pace and flair of the Brazilians but mentally they are soft and the US are very strong.

BlackKnight76 said:
Enjoy. It takes a bit to get FIFA down, but its probably the best sports game out...definitely now that NCAA Football is gone.

I mainly just gotta work on being in position, headers, and I gotta stop shooting so hard lol.

Do the mini drills before games mean anything?

What is the transitive property of soccer?
Studying common opponents helps understand teams but Imperial is right that there is little. I was having fun with the complaint that the USMNT was too defensive. Defending for 90 minutes is not easy. It requires intense discipline, something Brazil lacks.

That said, I'm not ready to hand the trophy to Germany yet. Just because it was 7-1 last night doesn't mean a blowout in the final, especially if they come up against a well-coached Holland team that will not be intimidated. Holland's probable tactics and style would favor a closer match. They are a little inexperienced in the back. Mexico showed that their D can be shaky. But they flat-out have the best counter-attacking player in the tournament in Robben, which is something.

Last edited: