FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

I wanted to predict Netherlands-Germany final even though it's in South America. I thought it had a chance to happen, still obviously does. But I had Netherlands winning it. Neither them nor Argentina have a fighting chance now. Like I said, too much trouble. So many weapons in midfield and forward in the box. This was a terrible defensive effort by the home side
I give the Netherlands a decent chance against Germany (if they can beat Argentina, which is no sure thing - de Jong really needs to play so he can watch Messi and I'm guessing/hoping we see three center backs again). It's impossible to overstate how bad Brazil was defensively and how undisciplined they are in all facets. It will be a long, long time before we see a team play like that in a high level game again.

It would be mildly amusing to see an all-European final too in South America. Europe is always home of the best soccer for me.

Last edited:
What is the transitive property of soccer? Do these games mean the USA is somehow better than Brazil now?

The primary virtue of soccer is normally that all the games are so low-scoring there's no such thing as a blow out. Germany dominated us but it was only 0-1. All we needed was one break and it's a tie. But that didn't hold today. Brazil was never even in it.
USA 2 Ghana 1
Ghana 2 Germany 2
Germany 1 USA 0

Germany 7 Brazil 1

Therefor the USA beat Ghana whom was equal to Germany who beat Brazil. = USA > Brazil. I kid.

Don't need to. Watched Germany do it in the box against Brazil.

No way. The team that came closest to replicating it was Spain during their heyday but Spain did it much more mechanically than Brazil.

Old Brazil was basically 10 fantasistas...

Here's one from 4 years ago.
image.jpg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Shevchenko

I'm not at all. The man could play and has a stellar career but it becomes clear very quickly that the competition that is the epl is a different breed. Sheva scored 59 champions league goals which is third best ever. At Kyiv he averaged a goal every other game, went to milan where he scored in 2 out of every 3 games, went to chelsea and only scored 9 goals in 48 apperences, then finished out with Kyiv averaging a goal every other goal like he started. I think it tells quite a story that the epl was able to contain him that much.

Teams 1-4 are solid in most leagues but what makes the epl a grind are spots 5-20. United finished 7th last year and Liverpool finished 8th the year prior. What other league could that ever happen in baring being subjected to a fifa punishment or financial troubles?
I understand. :). He is a saint where I am from lol.

There has been numerous cases of players, not performing as high when they move to England. Which is why I think a lot of really good talent shy away from the league now and plays in Spain or Italy.

USA 2 Ghana 1
Ghana 2 Germany 2
Germany 1 USA 0

Germany 7 Brazil 1

Therefor the USA beat Ghana whom was equal to Germany who beat Brazil. = USA > Brazil. I kid.
Yesterday...

Tuvalu >> Brazil

Ok ok,

Who you guys got?

Arg 1 - Ned 1 (Higuain) (Robben)

Argentina wins in Penalties

I tend to favour Argentina, even without Di Maria because De Jong will be so focused on stopping Messi that this should allow Higuain to have some more room, he also looked better in the last game.

Who you guys got?
I'm sticking with my original pick of NL over D.

I made those picks when Nigel was still playing. Although he practiced yesterday, there's no way that he's 100%. Argentina's had some struggles and B, D & NL have all shown that some days the ball simply doesn't want to go in. Maybe Argentina will have such a day today.

I'm sticking with my original pick of NL over D.

I made those picks when Nigel was still playing. Although he practiced yesterday, there's no way that he's 100%. Argentina's had some struggles and B, D & NL have all shown that some days the ball simply doesn't want to go in. Maybe Argentina will have such a day today.
If de Jong plays and if Argentina replaces Di Maria with a more defensive-minded player (when they should bring on another attacker), then I like Holland in a tight match (or at least closer than 7-1). I've got my wallet where my keyboard is on this one so I'm all in on Holland.

At one point, the Brazil fans started cheering for Germany. They did the "ole" after every pass -- just brutal.

That was one of the most unprofessional displays I've ever seen in high level sports.

Let's see how they're treated/react when they have to play in the 3rd Place/Consolation Game on Saturday.

If you want the best WC final matchup you want Holland to win if you want Germany to win then you want Argentina to win today.
Argentina can replace Di Maria if Sergio Aguero is fit. Argentina has not played 1 second behind this WC if Holland scores first then the Orange will win.

FIFA is getting rid of the August fixture on the International calendar. Does anyone know when the next International fixture is on the calendar and speculate who the USMNT might face? I heard we will play Iran before the Gold Cup next year.

Nigel de Jong is confirmed in the starting lineup. Hopefully he'll be at least 90% and can go 90 minutes.

While there will be many Argentine fans in the stadium, the majority will be Brazilian and should be rooting against their Spanish speaking rivals.

Did I mention the Dutch victory in today's Tour stage?

FIFA is getting rid of the August fixture on the International calendar.
The Dutch team opens with a friendly in Italy with their new coach, Guus Hiddink, on September 4th... less than a week before their Euro-2016 qualifier at the Czech Republic.

Also look for the top European countries to form a "Nations League". This is to arrange higher quality friendlies. It's not just about better preparation for the big tournaments, it's also about $$$ as TV rights for these games are expected to generate extra revenue for the associations involved.

FIFA is getting rid of the August fixture on the International calendar. Does anyone know when the next International fixture is on the calendar and speculate who the USMNT might face? I heard we will play Iran before the Gold Cup next year.

We play in Czech Republic in Sept.