FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

There was no talk of him moving to Spurs, just an article written by "Metro Sport Reporter". Paper talk in England is all BS unless you know the best sources for each team. Not directed at you, directed at the rags.
If you google Julian Green Tottenham Hotspur their are tons of speculation articles from early June. I agree with you they turned out to be wrong, but its not just one Metro Sport Reporter rag. Its too bad Green won't be in EPL on loan as he would be seen a lot by Americans on NBCSN.

I've been staying up til midnight the last 3 days playing FIFA 14 haha. I love it!

Doing both modes, create a star mode, where I started at NY Redbull, and got sent on loan to yeovil town
And manager mode, where I manage the Redbull, and got a gig coaching the India National team lol

If you google Julian Green Tottenham Hotspur their are tons of speculation articles from early June. I agree with you they turned out to be wrong, but its not just one Metro Sport Reporter rag. Its too bad Green won't be in EPL on loan as he would be seen a lot by Americans on NBCSN.
Because they all ran with that one article. That's how the english media works, and the american media is none the wiser and picked up on it. He can be seen by a lot of Americans on FoxSports as they signed a Bundesliga deal. I also don't think he'd get playing time for Spurs.

I don't see how your post negates the concept that English players cost more than "foreign" players because of the homegrown requirement. Look at what people payed for Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson

That's what the preliminary/qualifying rounds are - a tournament played in the homelands of the participants on a home-and-home basis,.

Euro 2020 is different. The actual tournament is being played throughout the continent.

bnoro said:
Because they all ran with that one article. That's how the english media works, and the american media is none the wiser and picked up on it. He can be seen by a lot of Americans on FoxSports as they signed a Bundesliga deal. I also don't think he'd get playing time for Spurs.

The EPL rumor mill, is annoying.

I pretty much take nothing serious until it actually happens.

Its similar to our recruiting sites here. You figure out really quickly who you should pay attention to vs whom just opines without and real knowledge.
I wouldn't even compare it to that. At least in those scenarios there are quotes and actual interests from schools. Over there it's like playing ad libs until you get one right, besides the few writers that have a source or when a player says something he shouldn't.

As mountaincuse says, I don't pay attention to rumors until it's on the team's official site, and only sometimes if the BBC or Sky reports it close to completion.

Anyone familiar with Shawn Parker? Apparently he's another German-American -- a forward playing for FC Augsburg -- who may enter our player pool. Hadn't heard of him until I saw a comment about him on ESPNFC.com.

I think I need to start following the Bundesliga.

Anyone familiar with Shawn Parker? Apparently he's another German-American -- a forward playing for FC Augsburg -- who may enter our player pool. Hadn't heard of him until I saw a comment about him on ESPNFC.com.

Worth it. The constant narrative that it's a one team league is overblown to an extent. Bayern's dominant year that just wrapped up coincided with nearly ever Dortmund player getting injured and teams like Hamburg nearly being relegated. It was a down year as a whole, but I expect the league to bounce back. Dortmund has obviously been incredible the last 5 years, and Schalke and Leverkusen are always competitive. The difference between it and some other leagues is that lower sides teams tend to attack more. Instead of slugging out a 0-0 draw, you see teams go for wins, especially at home. Also, there is such a wealth of German talent that you can see a lot of great individual play from lower sides. I can't wait for the new broadcast deal to kick in with Fox so I can stop stealing streams of GolTV. (Who am I kidding? I don't pay for cable anyway so I'll be stealing streams regardless.)

Parker is a longer shot than Julian Green was. Parker has drawn more interest from Germany than Green did. If we can get Parker then Klinsmann deserves an extra bonus. If he enters the USA talent pool then we are getting a world class player who is only 21 right now.

He came through the academy at Mainz (so did Andre Schürrle) and he's known to have a bad temper and sometimes poor training habits. That's why he's with Augsburg now.

I don't see him ever making the German National Team honestly. He has an extremely talented younger brother at Mainz right now, Devante Parker.

Yanks Abroad is a good site for info on American players. "Big Soccer" is a good msg board to start.

I've been following the US player pool/youth teams pretty intensely since the 2010 WC. More and more players are getting contracts with Euro teams when they turn 18. Junior Flores at Dortmund and Rubio Rubin (i think he can make the 2018 team) at Utrecht to name two.

I still think for the long-term success of US Soccer, young players need to come through MLS before they make the dream Euro jump. What we lag WAY behind in is quality youth coaching, professional development structure (slowly improving) and mentality. Many soccer players see a college scholarship as the end game. It's no surprise to me that so many first-generation Americans are the ones finding success now.

I still think for the long-term success of US Soccer, young players need to come through MLS before they make the dream Euro jump. What we lag WAY behind in is quality youth coaching, professional development structure (slowly improving) and mentality. Many soccer players see a college scholarship as the end game. It's no surprise to me that so many first-generation Americans are the ones finding success now.

Biggest problem with U.S. youth system is that it's more about "winning" than it is about skills development. Kind of like AAU basketball. Plus there are too many coaches out there who are players' parents that lack the skills to really coach at a high level.

Its flawed for sure, but 15th for the USA is about right, and Germany should be first.

I think this is one of the best ratings I have seen, generally teams are at least in the ballpark of where they should be.

The biggest flaws I see are:

Portugal at 11. How are they always ranked so high? They are terrible and have been terrible for a while now.

Costa Rica at 16. Winning the group of death over the likes of Uruguay (while they still had Suarez), England, AND Italy, then advancing to the round of 8 in the World Cup should be worth more than a 16th ranking.

England at 20. They have their problems (namely Roy Hodgson), but they are probably one of the five or six most talented teams in the world, and should be ranked higher than 20.

Also Greece at 13 seems like a stretch.

England at 20. They have their problems (namely Roy Hodgson), but they are probably one of the five or six most talented teams in the world, and should be ranked higher than 20.

I just think England and specifically the FA have a loser mentality. It doesn't really matter who the coach is. Every time the team gets knocked out it's always a different excuse. The club teams have poor player development and the talent is overrated because they play in the PL.

Weird soccer question does anyone know how FIFA decides which teams get to wear their preferred jersey during the WC?
I know in league play it's always who is at home gets to wear their preferred shirt. However, both Argentina and Germany prefer wearing white jerseys and Germany got to wear white and Argentina had to wear blue instead of their famous white/light blue tops.
USA wore their red tops against Ghana who wore white. I just wonder how this is decided by FIFA. Netherlands had to wear blue against Spain and Brazil instead of their preferred Orange.

Weird soccer question does anyone know how FIFA decides which teams get to wear their preferred jersey during the WC?
I know in league play it's always who is at home gets to wear their preferred shirt. However, both Argentina and Germany prefer wearing white jerseys and Germany got to wear white and Argentina had to wear blue instead of their famous white/light blue tops.
USA wore their red tops against Ghana who wore white. I just wonder how this is decided by FIFA. Netherlands had to wear blue against Spain and Brazil instead of their preferred Orange.
Not sure, but I thought it was based on FIFA ranking at the time of play.

It's Thomas Müller's world and we're all just living in it.
image.jpg

I've been staying up til midnight the last 3 days playing FIFA 14 haha. I love it!

Doing both modes, create a star mode, where I started at NY Redbull, and got sent on loan to yeovil town
And manager mode, where I manage the Redbull, and got a gig coaching the India National team lol
I don't know it they still make Championship Manager but that was a great soccer strategy game. It was a superb way to learn tactics and formations. Using the breakout 2001 edition, I spent hundreds of hours turning Cheltenham Town into a Champions League-winning 3o-year dynasty. I also managed Sweden to the WC. I wish I could put this on my real life CV. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom