FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

I think this is one of the best ratings I have seen, generally teams are at least in the ballpark of where they should be.

The biggest flaws I see are:

Portugal at 11. How are they always ranked so high? They are terrible and have been terrible for a while now.

Costa Rica at 16. Winning the group of death over the likes of Uruguay (while they still had Suarez), England, AND Italy, then advancing to the round of 8 in the World Cup should be worth more than a 16th ranking.

England at 20. They have their problems (namely Roy Hodgson), but they are probably one of the five or six most talented teams in the world, and should be ranked higher than 20.

Also Greece at 13 seems like a stretch.
Costa Rica could be viewed as a one off. Greece's defensive style is horrible to watch but can be effective. Agreed re England. They should breeze through qualifying for the Euros. Agreed re Portugal too. They will be good when Mourinho gets there but I figure we don't see him at Portugal until WC 2022.

I don't know it they still make Championship Manager but that was a great soccer strategy game. It was a superb way to learn tactics and formations. Using the breakout 2001 edition, I spent hundreds of hours turning Cheltenham Town into a Champions League-winning 3o-year dynasty. I also managed Sweden to the WC. I wish I could put this on my real life CV. :)

Still very popular http://www.footballmanager.com/lang/en_GB

It's Thomas Müller's world and we're all just living in it.
View attachment 18244
71420140417124.jpg

Bastian disagrees

We have a lot of Germany fans can anybody answer this why are their alternate kits Green? Its weird Germany colors of black,gold,red would wear green.
images

We have a lot of Germany fans can anybody answer this why are their alternate kits Green? Its weird Germany colors of black,gold,red would wear green.
images

I don't know why Germany's alternates are Green, but I do know that teams don't necessarily wear the colors that are on their flag. Germany has traditionally always worn Black and White. Italy has traditionally worn blue. Netherlands have traditionally worn Orange. I don't know where any of these colors come from, but I know its not from the countries respective flags.

images

Alternate kits are always random colors whether it be club or country. They change them all the time but home and away kits will in someway include the country flag or club colors. Third kits don't seem to follow any specific guidelines.

Germany will always have a white jersey as one of their 3 same as Liverpool always having a red jersey in one of their 3. The next German 3rd kit may well not be green.

I got answer in a PM thanks for the respond. Apparently, after WWII no European countries would play Germany in Germany until Ireland agreed to play them.

As a thank you to Ireland the Germans made an alternate kit green because it was Ireland's color. In the 1978 Final against Argentina the Germans wore green uniforms.

Wow, I feel like he couldve played another cup
Seems like a win-win for Germany. He plays so many club games every year with Bayern that he could take the next three years off from the DFB while they groom a replacement for him and still step in in 4 years and play in the next WC. He's the type of player that you can always add back in later if he gets the itch again. Will be interesting to see who plays out wide in his spot now, though. Schmelzer, as much as I despise him, could get the nod. They could also go to three in the back with Boateng-Hummels-Howedes and play all their absurdly talented midfielders at once.

http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/1953908/headline

Yedlin is getting interest from AS Roma, Inter Milan, Genoa, Liverpool, Lyon and Bayern Munich. Dude get out of MLS ASAP. All of those teams play in the CL cmon DeAndre.
ESPNFC is an awful source for transfer news. And it would be a mistake for him at 20 to leave a place where he can develop and play every day.

Besler has legitimate offers and isn't leaving, that's who should be going to Europe, not Yedlin yet.

ESPNFC is an awful source for transfer news. And it would be a mistake for him at 20 to leave a place where he can develop and play every day.

Besler has legitimate offers and isn't leaving, that's who should be going to Europe, not Yedlin yet.
ESPNFC doesn't break much news but it isn't that bad IMO.
Besler should go but is from the KC area so I don't know why he won't go unless he is getting many offers he likes and can play.
Yemlin as we have discussed shouldn't be in a hurry maybe finish this season in MLS but Klinsmann clearly wants players in Europe if possible and Yemlin should choose any of the teams I listed who give him a fair shot to play and earn his spot as they are all CL squads and would have a lot of PT available.

ESPNFC doesn't break much news but it isn't that bad IMO.
Besler should go but is from the KC area so I don't know why he won't go unless he is getting many offers he likes and can play.
Yemlin as we have discussed shouldn't be in a hurry maybe finish this season in MLS but Klinsmann clearly wants players in Europe if possible and Yemlin should choose any of the teams I listed who give him a fair shot to play and earn his spot as they are all CL squads and would have a lot of PT available.
*Yedlin

And just because they are CL squads doesn't mean there will be playing time available.

*Yedlin

And just because they are CL squads doesn't mean there will be playing time available.

Actually only 3 of them are CL teams this year, and he's not gonna get any run with Bayern.

If he goes to early and struggles or doesn't play regularly, he risks stunting his career, much like Altidore did with his move to Hull.

Actually only 3 of them are CL teams this year, and he's not gonna get any run with Bayern.

If he goes to early and struggles or doesn't play regularly, he risks stunting his career, much like Altidore did with his move to Hull.
Agreed. Bayern bought Bernat and already have Alaba and Lahm. No way he's breaking into that backline as high as my hopes are for Yedlin.

Seems like a win-win for Germany. He plays so many club games every year with Bayern that he could take the next three years off from the DFB while they groom a replacement for him and still step in in 4 years and play in the next WC. He's the type of player that you can always add back in later if he gets the itch again. Will be interesting to see who plays out wide in his spot now, though. Schmelzer, as much as I despise him, could get the nod. They could also go to three in the back with Boateng-Hummels-Howedes and play all their absurdly talented midfielders at once.

World Cup isn't the only trophy out there to be had. The Euros are in two years, and Lahm will still be the best back in Germany in two years time. They are still going to be the favorites even without Lahm, but that's a blow and hurts their team.

World Cup isn't the only trophy out there to be had. The Euros are in two years, and Lahm will still be the best back in Germany in two years time. They are still going to be the favorites even without Lahm, but that's a blow and hurts their team.
Agreed. But if he's retiring now I doubt he'd want to come back for the Euros in two years. He's talked about how taxing it was to finally win a World Cup, so I doubt he cares about a Euro 2016 title.

Can't sleep so I just rewatched all the goals the US scored in the WC. Never been a huge Bedoya fan but checkout his reaction when Green scores against Belgium. He looks dejected on the bench in the midst of pandemonium.