FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

I think we'll run multiple formations again. Doing that last year threw enough curveballs to opposition and IMO aided in us finishing as high up the table as we did. On paper, there was no reason we should be going toe to toe with Chelsea but on the pitch it was something different entirely.

Bony would give us a different dimension IE finishing in the air and he always seems to be in the right spot to poach rebounds.

Out wide we can play Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho (prefer him central), were supposedly finalizing Markovic from Benfica, and would have Assaidi back as an option unless he's sold. I think Lallana and Henderson will be left and right wing respectively with ?-Sturridge-Sterling up top in the 4-3-3. Lallana could fill there but I like him in midfield better since he has boundless energy similar to Henderson and tracks back quite well to help in defense. We need runners in the midfiled because Stevie hasn't got the legs to run for 90 mins any longer. I'm avoiding listing Joe Allen because I prefer him anywhere but in the starting 11.

At the very least we have versitile players so we won't be caught out in any one spot. My dream signing would be Marco Reus but I can't imagine what offer it would take to pry him from his home town club.

Liverpool just agreed to terms with QPR for Loic Remy. I think this supports your multiple formations idea. Remy can play as a central striker (as he did in the premiere league) or out wide (as he did for France). Seems like he would do well out wide in the front of a 4-3-3 or as a central striker alongside Sturridge or Lambert in a 4-4-2 diamond.

I have to say I like the signing.

Seattle Sounders vs Tottenham today at 4. It's raining in Atlanta and I'm bored. Is this worth watching?

Seattle Sounders vs Tottenham today at 4. It's raining in Atlanta and I'm bored. Is this worth watching?

You can enjoy watching the game if you know what it is. Seattle is in mid-season form, and Tottenham is in pre-season mode. They will be giving young guys run to see what they've got, and showcasing guys they want to sell. It won't be played like a competitive game, at least not from The Spurs.

That said, I watched Liverpool do the same thing today, so I can't say there is no entertainment value in it.

That's crazy, according to the announcers, only twice in the Premier League will Tottenham play in front of a crowd as big as Seattle's.

Idk why Lahm retired so young... Does not make much sense to me. Doesn't bother me much either, but seems a little stupid IMO. They could take Euro 2016 and The next world cup in 2018 (i bet it isn't in Russia btw). It seems Germany is just getting started.

Yedlin didn't have a great game especially with that handball which allowed the Spurs to tie the game. The Spurs were without pretty much 2/3s of the first team, but it was entertaining game. The Sounders didn't appear to be playing most of their starters either that goal from 30 yards away was easily the most impressive of the match.
Seattle's crowd was amazing, if a majority of teams had 3/4s of Seattle's energy the MLS could become a top 5 league in the world, but its hard for that to happen.

Yedlin didn't have a great game especially with that handball which allowed the Spurs to tie the game. The Spurs were without pretty much 2/3s of the first team, but it was entertaining game. The Sounders didn't appear to be playing most of their starters either that goal from 30 yards away was easily the most impressive of the match.
Seattle's crowd was amazing, if a majority of teams had 3/4s of Seattle's energy the MLS could become a top 5 league in the world, but its hard for that to happen.
I watched some of the Sporting KC game after and their crowd is pretty good too but I've only really ever seen Portland, Seattle, KC and Galaxy tbh. Starting to watch some MLS now so I'm sure ill see what you're talking about.

Why does everybody call them THE Spurs? It's just Spurs. Much like it's not the Ukraine or the Skydome.
Poppy you generally bring good posts that I don't always agree with but respect your intelligence I hope I get the same from you, but c'mon man. I mean I wasn't calling them the Hotspurs I put a the in front of any team's nickname you can disagree with my opinions and call them out if you want but I mean this critique is ridiculous for somebody who is smart like you. I know we don't agree much on the bball board but I mean dude your better than to pounce on this either you don't like me or it must drive you beyond insane but that would make no sense for such a small thing. If it bothers you put me on block and you won't have to read my stupidity.

Liverpool just agreed to terms with QPR for Loic Remy. I think this supports your multiple formations idea. Remy can play as a central striker (as he did in the premiere league) or out wide (as he did for France). Seems like he would do well out wide in the front of a 4-3-3 or as a central striker alongside Sturridge or Lambert in a 4-4-2 diamond.

I have to say I like the signing.
They're replacing the best player in the prem with a lot of mediocrity. At least when Spurs did it we bought players expected to grow into world class talent/were top class.

Poppy you generally bring good posts that I don't always agree with but respect your intelligence I hope I get the same from you, but c'mon man. I mean I wasn't calling them the Hotspurs I put a the in front of any team's nickname you can disagree with my opinions and call them out if you want but I mean this critique is ridiculous for somebody who is smart like you. I know we don't agree much on the bball board but I mean dude your better than to pounce on this either you don't like me or it must drive you beyond insane but that would make no sense for such a small thing. If it bothers you put me on block and you won't have to read my stupidity.
Their nickname is Spurs. The Spurs play in San Antonio.

It's not just you. General20 did the same thing a few posts above. It seemed a pattern was forming. Nothing personal.

They're replacing the best player in the prem with a lot of mediocrity. At least when Spurs did it we bought players expected to grow into world class talent/were top class.

Who did Spurs buy last summer that were anymore likely to grow into world class players than what Liverpool are buying right now?

Every Tottenham signing last year was crap with the exception of Eriksen. Liverpool's signings will be better across the board.

Oddsmakers like Liverpool more than Tottenham to win the Premiere League.
Chelsea are the favorites followed by Arsenal, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, and Tottenham.
Liverpool though are lot more favored than the 6th choice Spurs.
Liverpool without Suarez are 10-1
Tottenham are 66-1
I guess the bookmakers see a gap between the top 5 and Tottenham.

Every Tottenham signing last year was crap with the exception of Eriksen. Liverpool's signings will be better across the board.

Erikson is a good player and, aside from Chariches, the rest of the guys they signed aren't bad. They just didn't gel for whatever reason. I just don't recall thinking any of them were world class potential either. Admittedly I thought Saldado would be better but he may still become serviceable. Its a big jump from la liga to epl in terms of physicality and lack of space to operate. Many Spanish players struggle.

Curious to see if Liverpool make a marquee signing this summer. Squad depth has improved but the natives would like a big name to latch on to as well.

Seems liverpool are looking to sign three types of players being that we won't offer huge chunks of cash or huge wages like the oil rich clubs. 1) proven pl players from mid level teams 2) upcoming young stars from well regarded foreign clubs and 3) back ups to superstars at big money clubs that want more playing time. All of our signings this summer and last fit at least one of those. What we haven't been able to land is an established player, in their prime, from well regarded foreign clubs. Reus and Cuadrado are the two that fit that tab but neither play at a club that need to sell. Were unlikely to ever poach a star player from an established european power since we can't really offer anything that their current club doesn't.

Curious to see if Liverpool make a marquee signing this summer. Squad depth has improved but the natives would like a big name to latch on to as well.

Seems liverpool are looking to sign three types of players being that we won't offer huge chunks of cash or huge wages like the oil rich clubs. 1) proven pl players from mid level teams 2) upcoming young stars from well regarded foreign clubs and 3) back ups to superstars at big money clubs that want more playing time. All of our signings this summer and last fit at least one of those. What we haven't been able to land is an established player, in their prime, from well regarded foreign clubs. Reus and Cuadrado are the two that fit that tab but neither play at a club that need to sell. Were unlikely to ever poach a star player from an established european power since we can't really offer anything that their current club doesn't.
Benzema would be a name to watch. I think he is moved in the near future I think Liverpool or PSG would be teams interested in him.

Benzema could be a name to watch. I think he is moved in the near future I think Liverpool or PSG would be teams interested in him.

No thank you. For all his ability the production doesnt ever quite match. Remy fits catagory 1 I stated prior but also catagory 3 as it pertains to being behind benzema on the national team and at 1/10th the price of his fellow countryman. The fact that we have a top french defender that just spend months with Remy makes me feel better about that signing as well. Have to figure BR asked Sahko about him first.

Question. Why can't Agudelo get a work permit? How do these things work? Is it discriminatory/arbitrary or is there a valid reason like a felony on his record or contagious disease or something? Just seems weird.

Question. Why can't Agudelo get a work permit? How do these things work? Is it discriminatory/arbitrary or is there a valid reason like a felony on his record or contagious disease or something? Just seems weird.

Where Is he needing it for? British work permits seem to be the hardest to get. Not sure why an athlete with guarenteed income would struggle to get one butman epl moves have been held up or cancelled in the past because of it.

He's not part of the national set up currently so they usually don't let people move that aren't "an exceptional talent". Hence why most players coming over have to be full internationals.

Oddsmakers like Liverpool more than Tottenham to win the Premiere League.
Chelsea are the favorites followed by Arsenal, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, and Tottenham.
Liverpool though are lot more favored than the 6th choice Spurs.
Liverpool without Suarez are 10-1
Tottenham are 66-1
I guess the bookmakers see a gap between the top 5 and Tottenham.
Liverpool fans throw ridiculous amounts of money at the bookies every year, this is why even when they were finishing 7th and 8th they were given great odds to win the title.