FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Geez, you have a ridiculously sensitive persona. Are you not aware that the entire Colombian team is/was going by their first names? It's not always a knock on you.
Well it seems your pretty passive aggressive towards my posts which gets annoying. I don't care if people disagree with me but you seem to try tweak me a lot and I reach my boiling point.

Di Maria was possibly their best player in the second half of last season and was the best player for Argentina at the World Cup. Can't see him moving to the bench.
I agree but who is he going to start over Benzima? Ronaldo? Bale? James Rodriguez? Madrid can't play those 5 together or they better have 4 shutdown defenders which they don't.
Di Maria or Benzima have to sit IMO or one be moved/sold.

I agree but who is he going to start over Benzima? Ronaldo? Bale? James Rodriguez? Madrid can't play those 5 together or they better have 4 shutdown defenders which they don't.
Benzema is massively overrated but I think there will have to be significant squad rotation. James is going to have to wait his turn, he's not going to be automatically starting for them.

If I was a Sporting Director I'd be looking to snag Isco on a nice deal. He's barely going to see the field now.

If I was a Sporting Director I'd be looking to snag Isco on a nice deal. He's barely going to see the field now.

We've been tracking him for a couple transfer windows. Curious If we make a move with our new found money. Still need a couple defenders but overall squad depth is >>>>> last year.

Since this seems to have morphed into the "Everything soccer" thread, I just want to point out that Man U vs. the LA Galaxy at the Rose Bowl airs at 11 p.m. ET on Wednesday (July 23) on FoxSports1 and FXDeportes. FoxSports1 is channel 400 on Time Warner in CNY.

Calls are going out to move the 2018 World Cup.

A German/Dutch hosting with the final in the ArenA would be fitting... perhaps have the opening game in the Ukraine.

Netherlands have traditionally worn Orange. I don't know where any of these colors come from, but I know its not from the countries respective flags.
The Dutch national color is orange. It's actually the royal family's color. Think "Willem van Oranje" ("William of Orange") who obtained the title "Prins van Oranje" ("Prince of Orange") in 1544 when his cousin died. His cousin had somehow obtained the principality of Orange (in Provence, France) through inheritance. Since April 30, 2013, title is held by the heir to the Dutch throne, Princess Amalia.

On certain occasions the Dutch flag is adorned with an orange pennant.
2008-04-30_oude_st_mauritius_silvolde_met_vlag.JPG

Last edited:
The Dutch national color is orange. It's actually the royal family's color. Think "Willem van Oranje" ("William of Orange") who obtained the title "Prins van Oranje" ("Prince of Orange") in 1544 when his cousin died. His cousin had somehow obtained the principality of Orange (in Provence, France) through inheritance. Since April 30, 2013, title is held by the heir to the Dutch throne, Princess Amalia.

On certain occasions the Dutch flag is adorned with an orange pennant.
2008-04-30_oude_st_mauritius_silvolde_met_vlag.JPG
Albany, the first permanent Dutch settlement in New Netherlands, was originally named Fort Orange.

Calls are going out to move the 2018 World Cup.

A German/Dutch hosting with the final in the ArenA would be fitting... perhaps have the opening game in the Ukraine.
Yes. Ukraine vs Russia (pending Russia making it as they suck)

I watched parts of 4 matches yesterday.
Toronto v. Tottenham
Roma v. Liverpool
Sporting KC v. Man City
LA Galaxy v. Man. United

2 of the 3 MLS squads were competitive but it just how much further the league needs to grow. I liked hearing a bunch of Man City youth squad will be available for NYCFC and that they are going to use the MLS squad as a feeder/farm team. It would be wise for some MLS teams to look to partner with EPL teams as feeder teams to grow the league up. Playing a different calendar than Europe would allow some MLS teams to give playing time.
Some EPL-MLS possible deals
NYCFC-Man. City
Red Bulls-Man United
Chicago- Chelsea
New England-Liverpool
Toronto-Tottenham
Montreal- Arsenal
Dirtiest MLS squad-Newcastle

Toronto v. Tottenham
Roma v. Liverpool
Sporting KC v. Man City
LA Galaxy v. Man. United

2 of the 3 MLS squads were competitive but it just how much further the league needs to grow. I liked hearing a bunch of Man City youth squad will be available for NYCFC and that they are going to use the MLS squad as a feeder/farm team. It would be wise for some MLS teams to look to partner with EPL teams as feeder teams to grow the league up. Playing a different calendar than Europe would allow some MLS teams to give playing time.
NYCFC-Man. City
Red Bulls-Man United
Chicago- Chelsea
New England-Liverpool
Toronto-Tottenham
Montreal- Arsenal
Toronto was not really competitive, the second half squad for Spurs was really weak.

Toronto was not really competitive, the second half squad for Spurs was really weak.
I flipped around I know Tottenham was up 2-0 before Toronto scored 2 to toe and I saw the go ahead world class goal to put Spurs up 3-2. Neither squad played their A squad. I know Bradley started on the bench.
Was this Spurs squad better than squad that played in Seattle?

Toronto v. Tottenham
Roma v. Liverpool
Sporting KC v. Man City
LA Galaxy v. Man. United

NYCFC-Man. City
Red Bulls-Man United
Chicago- Chelsea
New England-Liverpool
Toronto-Tottenham
Montreal- Arsenal

That would be amazing. The best thing that could ever happen to the MLS would be to become the minor leagues for the EPL. I'd much rather watch young kids who are not good enough but will get good enough, than old men who used to be good enough. I might actually start watching games.

I flipped around I know Tottenham was up 2-0 before Toronto scored 2 to toe and I saw the go ahead world class goal to put Spurs up 3-2. Neither squad played their A squad. I know Bradley started on the bench.
Was this Spurs squad better than squad that played in Seattle?
The squad in the first half was close to what the first team will end up being sans the World Cup players. Made 10 subs at half time and only a few guys that will play for us this year were in there, and no DM which is important in the way we'll play this season.

That would be amazing. The best thing that could ever happen to the MLS would be to become the minor leagues for the EPL. I'd much rather watch young kids who are not good enough but will get good enough, than old men who used to be good enough. I might actually start watching games.

That's a terrible idea. That would reduce the need for MLS teams to develop academy players into pros and in turn would severely hurt US Soccer.

The MLS becoming the "minor league" for the EPL would be a catastrophe.

That's a terrible idea. That would reduce the need for MLS teams to develop academy players into pros and in turn would severely hurt US Soccer.

The MLS becoming the "minor league" for the EPL would be a catastrophe.
Not to mention most of the players coming over would be U21 guys that the EPL giants would want to get major minutes. Good way to destroy the locker room

The "minor leagues" is only a good idea if winning doesn't matter. Nobody knows, or cares, about who wins the Triple-A playoffs in baseball or the NBDL championship. The MLS, however, has too much invested to do anything but put out the best product possible.

The tie-ins with the EPL and other foreign leagues are really about marketing, not player development. There are 300 million potential kit buyers in this country, and the Glazers and Henrys of the world know that.

Couldn't you just put a cap on the number of EPL U21s who would play on a team? That way, it's not totally an minor league operation and you still have room for talent from other sources, namely homegrown US guys and South American players (I'm assuming they make up a large portion of rosters already). A tie-in ultimately raises the quality of play and brings in more cash, which is great, but I agree with Poppy that the league and its title has to be about more than player development.

The "minor leagues" is only a good idea if winning doesn't matter. Nobody knows, or cares, about who wins the Triple-A playoffs in baseball or the NBDL championship. The MLS, however, has too much invested to do anything but put out the best product possible.

The tie-ins with the EPL and other foreign leagues are really about marketing, not player development. There are 300 million potential kit buyers in this country, and the Glazers and Henrys of the world know that.

You don't sell kits by sending 20-year-old Player X from Arsenal on loan to the Philadelphia Union. US fans want the best and that's not it.

The development and improvement of MLS and US Soccer is 100% tied to improved youth player development. We'll see how this works when NYCFC take MC players on loan. No need for them to develop American players. It's an interesting concept but it's not good for the league.

I've notionally been a Red Bulls fan for a while since they are the NY team, but NYCFC leaves me feeling all confused inside. They have Lampard, but they are called City and wear tarheel blue. But Lampard!

I have to give them credit though, 5 boroughs, 1 City is one hell of a great slogan.