FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Erikson is a good player and, aside from Chariches, the rest of the guys they signed aren't bad. They just didn't gel for whatever reason. I just don't recall thinking any of them were world class potential either. Admittedly I thought Saldado would be better but he may still become serviceable. Its a big jump from la liga to epl in terms of physicality and lack of space to operate. Many Spanish players struggle.
-Chiriches was one of our better defenders if he wasn't hurt last season. A bit like David Luiz in that he loses concentration sometimes but very comfortable on the ball.
-Eriksen will be world class, put up similar numbers to Ozil last season under two bad managers.
-Soldado, jury's out, but at the time he was the 3rd leading scorer in Spain over the last 3 years behind Messi and Ronaldo.
-Chadli will play a role, wasn't utilized properly by AVB/Sherwood.
-Capoue/Lamela were both hurt most of the season. Lamela was the next big thing at Roma.
-Paulinho was voted 3rd best player in the tournament at the Confederations Cup the summer before last.

These were all big name players outside of Chadli and Chiriches. Unfortunately AVB decided he didn't know how he wanted the team to play football and the season was a disaster.

Liverpool fans throw ridiculous amounts of money at the bookies every year, this is why even when they were finishing 7th and 8th they were given great odds to win the title.

Id disagree. Most liverpool fans are eternally hopeful but haven't recently had any realistic expectation to win the league. Being that we've lost gnasher and his 30 goals I'm a bit surprised the odds are so low. I like our squad but, just like last season, when you look at the rosters for city and chelsea smart money should all be going there.

-Chiriches was one of our better defenders if he wasn't hurt last season. A bit like David Luiz in that he loses concentration sometimes but very comfortable on the ball.
-Eriksen will be world class, put up similar numbers to Ozil last season under two bad managers.
-Soldado, jury's out, but at the time he was the 3rd leading scorer in Spain over the last 3 years behind Messi and Ronaldo.
-Chadli will play a role, wasn't utilized properly by AVB/Sherwood.
-Capoue/Lamela were both hurt most of the season. Lamela was the next big thing at Roma.
-Paulinho was voted 3rd best player in the tournament at the Confederations Cup the summer before last.

These were all big name players outside of Chadli and Chiriches. Unfortunately AVB decided he didn't know how he wanted the team to play football and the season was a disaster.

To be fair only soldado, lamela, and paulinho were bigger money signings anyway. Spurs arent anymore likely to drop huge money than Liverpool are. By comparison, look at how much city and chelsea have spent on their reserve strikers.

You probably look at Liverpools new signings similar to how I looked at spurs signings last year. Nice, interesting signings but none that you'll lose sleep over wishing you had signed them instead. Their first season with the club likely won't change that either.

After that its a numbers game. I rated eriksen but at the same time couldn't figure out where or how often wed have been able to play him. He and Coutinho are quite similar imo.

Last edited:
To be fair only soldado, lamela, and paulinho were bigger money signings anyway. Spurs arent anymore likely to drop huge money than Liverpool are. By comparison, look at how much city and chelsea have spent on their reserve strikers.

You probably look at Liverpools new signings similar to how I looked at spurs signings last year. Nice, interesting signings but none that you'll lose sleep over wishing you had signed them instead. Their first season with the club likely won't change that either.

After that its a numbers game. I rated eriksen but at the same time couldn't figure out where or how often wed have been able to play him. He and Coutinho are quite similar imo.
IMO, I take Eriksen all day over Phillipe. Even if they do play similar.

Every time I watched Tottenham play, I came away with impressed with Erikson.

West Brom signed Brown Ideye (Dynamo Kiev) at a record fee of 9 mill...

As some may know I am a huge DK fan and my club got a steal here. WBA payed way to much for a bit of a floater tbh. His effort is also questionable.

IMO, I take Eriksen all day over Phillipe. Even if they do play similar.

Every time I watched Tottenham play, I came away with impressed with Erikson.

Fair enough. Watching them play last year I feel like Eriksen excels down the left where Coutinho struggles. Centrally though, Coutinho shines and Eriksen isn't quite the same as he is on the left. Eriksen is more clinical while shooting for sure but surprisingly Coutinho has learned to track back and tackle quite well. Seeing them both in the prem for a year they could potentially play in the same side but during last summers transfer window I thought CE would need to opporate centrally as well. Also, if Liverpool had went for CE we would end up with a spritely lineup of Eriksen, Coutinho, Sterling, and occassionally Joe Allen. Any team with size in the midfield would steamroll them.

Curious to see if Liverpool make a marquee signing this summer. Squad depth has improved but the natives would like a big name to latch on to as well.

Seems liverpool are looking to sign three types of players being that we won't offer huge chunks of cash or huge wages like the oil rich clubs. 1) proven pl players from mid level teams 2) upcoming young stars from well regarded foreign clubs and 3) back ups to superstars at big money clubs that want more playing time. All of our signings this summer and last fit at least one of those. What we haven't been able to land is an established player, in their prime, from well regarded foreign clubs. Reus and Cuadrado are the two that fit that tab but neither play at a club that need to sell. Were unlikely to ever poach a star player from an established european power since we can't really offer anything that their current club doesn't.

People talk about Liverpool adding depth like its insignificant, but a lack of quality depth has been a problem area for Liverpool for years.

Liverpool needed 6 or 7 quality squad players, and they are in the process of adding just that. Its going to pay off with points that in previous years Liverpool lost out on.

That said, the smart money is on Chelsea to win the league, and its going to be an absolute dog fight between Man City, Arsenal, Man United, and Liverpool to finish in the top 4. One very worthy team is going to lose out. As of right now my guess is Man United misses out even though a lot can still change between now and the season.

Fair enough. Watching them play last year I feel like Eriksen excels down the left where Coutinho struggles. Centrally though, Coutinho shines and Eriksen isn't quite the same as he is on the left. Eriksen is more clinical while shooting for sure but surprisingly Coutinho has learned to track back and tackle quite well. Seeing them both in the prem for a year they could potentially play in the same side but during last summers transfer window I thought CE would need to opporate centrally as well. Also, if Liverpool had went for CE we would end up with a spritely lineup of Eriksen, Coutinho, Sterling, and occassionally Joe Allen. Any team with size in the midfield would steamroll them.
The only reason that Eriksen didn't play through the middle last year is that once we stopped using Soldado we didn't have a striker that would make runs for through balls, so it was more effective for Eriksen to drift outside and put in crosses. Eriksen can pick a pass with both feet and is deadly from a dead ball situation. Coutinho is a good player but I think he's more suited to Spain or Italy in the way he plays.

People talk about Liverpool adding depth like its insignificant, but a lack of quality depth has been a problem area for Liverpool for years.

Liverpool needed 6 or 7 quality squad players, and they are in the process of adding just that. Its going to pay off with points that in previous years Liverpool lost out on.

That said, the smart money is on Chelsea to win the league, and its going to be an absolute dog fight between Man City, Arsenal, Man United, and Liverpool to finish in the top 4. One very worthy team is going to lose out. As of right now my guess is Man United misses out even though a lot can still change between now and the season.

Prediction: I think Chelsea's starting 11 looks like this:

4/1/1/3/1

Courtois

Azpilicueta Terry Cahill Luis

Matic

Fabregas

Schurrle Hazard Willian

Costa

Oscar doesn't get the start. Hazard gets first shot at the No. 10. Ivanovic doesn't start but he'll play a lot because he is so versatile and JT is an injury risk. Betrand gets loaned or sold (He has Liverpool player written all over him). Torres stays. Van Ginklel pushes Obi for back-up holding mid. Ramires and Salah are next options off the midfield bench after Oscar. Marin gets shipped out. Cech plays good soldier, then leaves next year.

The big question though: What happens to Lukaku. Does he stay, get loaned or shipped out? If Drogba indeed comes back as a player/coach, I'm assuming he'll be the third option up front. Lukaku is good enough to start. Something has to give and it looks like Torres is staying. There are no rumors about Fernando leaving.

The big question though: What happens to Lukaku. Does he stay, get loaned or shipped out? If Drogba indeed comes back as a player/coach, I'm assuming he'll be the third option up front. Lukaku is good enough to start. Something has to give and it looks like Torres is staying. There are no rumors about Fernando leaving.

Lukaku won't be playing at Chelsea as long as the special one is there.

As for Torres, even if teams are interested, he won't be willing to take a pay cut to go. He's 10th highest player in the world as of last season so unless Chelsea are willing to pay at least half of his wages he's not going anywhere.

BtElgcxCMAAbvQC.jpg

Divock Origi from Belgium 19 year kid looks like he is going to Liverpool.

Yet be seen. That has been reported for a month + and even if he's signed he will be loaned back to Lille this season.

The only reason that Eriksen didn't play through the middle last year is that once we stopped using Soldado we didn't have a striker that would make runs for through balls, so it was more effective for Eriksen to drift outside and put in crosses. Eriksen can pick a pass with both feet and is deadly from a dead ball situation. Coutinho is a good player but I think he's more suited to Spain or Italy in the way he plays.

I would've agreed prior to last season re: Coutinho but he showed a lot more to his game last year and appears to be continuing his imporvement. Curious where he'll be in another year or 2.

James to Real has pissed me off for some reason...like more than the normal "watch us whip our money out" transfers.

I think the sneaky good buy for the PL will be Siem De Jong from Ajax to Newcastle. When they sold Cabaye last year their offense lost rhythm and really sucked the last few months.

A MF with some combo of Tiote, Sissoko, Anita, etc with De Jong in the 10 role I think will be good.

Newcastle even got Jack Colback, a youth product of bitter rival Sunderland. I thought Colback was one of the few good players for the Black Cats last year. I'm really surprised they let him go.

Roma vs Liverpool tomorrow night at Fenway on NBCSN. Should be interesting to see.
Julian Green got a nice endorsement from Pep but he won't get any PT with. Munich now he should go on loan and get PT and develop. I am sure if he stays with Bayern Munich next year he will get some minutes behind Robben, Mueller, Ribery, and all those Germans. I just would love Green to become the American superstar but he won't without playing time.

Look at Angel Di. Maria at Real Madrid now with James going there. He will be a bench player for Real Madrid.

There should be a global law that if you are not of Brazilian/Portuguese descent or a global rock star you must be referred to by your full given name. Pepe? Fine. Bono? Ok. Madonna? Sure. James? Not on my watch.

There should be a global law that if you are not of Brazilian/Portuguese descent or a global rock star you must be referred to by your full given name. Pepe? Fine. Bono? Ok. Madonna? Sure. James? Not on my watch.
My phone erased Rodriguez. I will make sure every post I ever make passes the Poppyhart standard I mean sorry my phone only typed James.

When it's pronounced Ha-mess I'll allow it.

Roma vs Liverpool tomorrow night at Fenway on NBCSN. Should be interesting to see.
Julian Green got a nice endorsement from Pep but he won't get any PT with. Munich now he should go on loan and get PT and develop. I am sure if he stays with Bayern Munich next year he will get some minutes behind Robben, Mueller, Ribery, and all those Germans. I just would love Green to become the American superstar but he won't without playing time.

Look at Angel Di. Maria at Real Madrid now with James going there. He will be a bench player for Real Madrid.
Di Maria was possibly their best player in the second half of last season and was the best player for Argentina at the World Cup. Can't see him moving to the bench.

My phone erased Rodriguez. I will make sure every post I ever make passes the Poppyhart standard I mean sorry my phone only typed James.

Geez, you have a ridiculously sensitive persona. Are you not aware that the entire Colombian team is/was going by their first names? It's not always a knock on you.