Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
b2ab7bf7538aaae662e9f99df95a93e8.jpg

Welcome to Four Prunes Day!

Today is Four Prunes Day. It may sound like a funny name for a food celebration. But four prunes are the minimum of what people who want more “digestive regularity” should take per day (up to a maximum of 9 prunes a day). We love prunes and prune juice. But many Americans steer clear of them, perhaps because of their association with regularity, which goes back to before great-grandmother’s day. A campaign several years back tried to change the name of prunes to “dried plums” (which is what prunes are) to make them more appealing. But as anyone who has ever made a pork or chicken roast with stuffed prunes knows, the dried fruits are delicious on their own. One of our favorite hors d’oeuvre is prunes stuffed with chicken liver mousse (you can marinate the prunes in Cognac overnight before stuffing).

SU News

usa-today-9162086.0.jpg

Andrew White in game shape thanks to The Sweet Science (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Grad transfer Andrew White knew he was going to need to step up his stamina and physicality in the upcoming season. So the new Syracuse Orange decided to spend the summer in the gym, but not just any gym. Per Mike Waters, White spent his summer in the boxing gym.

"I knew the players at the schools I was looking at were all working out at their schools,'' White said. "I knew when I got to school there would be a transition in terms of the strength and conditioning program. I wanted to be in good shape, but I wanted to be fresh so instead of lifting weights, I used boxing for all my strength and conditioning.''

Specifically, White spent his days at a boxing gym in the Blandford Community Center where he'd do 90-minute drills. Doesn't sound like White got in the ring too often, but he would instead work the speed bag, heavy bag, and any other bag someone needed to be punched.

Other

14901260-mmmain.jpg

Record-warm temperature possible this week in Central New York (PS; Coin)

A warm weather record could fall Tuesday in Central New York.

The highest temperature recorded on Oct. 18 is 83 degrees, in 1947. The forecast for Tuesday is a high of 83.

The warm temperatures will be the result of a "stout southwest wind, and a good amount of sunshine," the National Weather Service said.

Those warm winds will be about 10 mph, with gusts up to 25 mph.

This could be the last gasp of sunny, summer-like weather this year. Temperatures are expected to drop this week, with highs by the end of the week in the 50s. Expect some rain, too, especially Thursday and Friday.

Last edited:

12. Duke at Syracuse, Feb. 22: Coach K vs. Jim Boeheim at The Carrier Dome. We may not get many more of these matchups, and the Orange -- on their home floor -- will have a chance to knock off the Blue Devils. It will be interesting to see if Cuse 7-foot-2 big man Paschal Chukwu can neutralize the Duke front line.

13. UConn at Syracuse, Dec. 5 (in N.Y.): The two former Big East powers will renew acquaintances at Madison Square Garden, and both have a chance to be really good this season in their new leagues. I love UConn’s point-guard duo of Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert.