Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
NJ-Look-at-the-Leaves-Day.jpg

Welcome to Look at the Leaves Day!

As we get deeper into fall, more leaves are changing color and starting to fall off of trees. In many areas the leaves are beautiful this time of year, making it fitting that today is Look at the Leaves Day. Leaves provide energy for trees and plants by converting sunlight into sugars and starches with a process called photosynthesis. During the spring and summer, leaves appear green because of a chemical called chlorophyll that allows them to photosynthesize. As it begins to get cooler and the sun is out less as days shorten, trees start to store up energy for the winter, and the chlorophyll breaks down. Energy begins to be stored inside of trees instead of inside their leaves. Then colors such as orange, yellow, brown, red, and purple appear, some of which the chlorophyll had hid from being seen before. Chemicals create these pigments as well: carotenoids make leaves orange, yellow, and brown and are always present in leaves, and anthocyanins are in some leaves and bring out red and purple hues. Anthocyanins are created when sugars get trapped in leaves after chlorophyll is gone. A seal is created between branches and leaves, which protects the tree during the winter months and causes the leaves to fall to the ground.

SU News

2016-12-27-sucornell2hf0507-1jpg-62187c76b09fe757.jpg

Syracuse basketball has one of the least experienced rosters in ACC (PS)

In college basketball these days, a lot of attention is paid to the one-and-dones, but quite often it's still the veteran player who gets it done.

Having a ballyhooed freshman is nice, but there's still value in the experienced player.

A ranking of ACC teams in terms of experience might be the best way to predict how the league's standings will look like by the end of the season. Or at the very least it can identify a potential darkhorse or expose a team that's overrated.

In terms of experience, Syracuse has very little. Tyus Battle is Syracuse's only returning starter and one of just two players on SU's roster who has even started a game in college.

We surveyed the roster of each team in the ACC and charted the number of returning starts and the number of career starts. (Editor's note: We only counted players' starts at their current schools. Transfers whose careers began at another school were not counted.)

Here is what we found:

louisville-scandal-ebc2c6212a15daeb.jpg

Rick Pitino on college basketball recruiting scandal: 'I'll be vindicated' (PS; Axe)

Suspended University of Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino maintained his innocence and says he will be 'vindicated' in the coming months on details involving an FBI investigation into college basketball corruption.

Pitino is on unpaid leave from the Louisville men's basketball program after the school was thrust into turmoil by a federal criminal case that included allegations of payments to recruit

A top Adidas executive and four assistant coaches are among 10 men charged with using hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to influence star athletes' choice of schools, shoe sponsors and agents.

Some of the most explosive allegations appear to involve Louisville, which already is on NCAA probation over a sex scandal.

"Right now it's in the lawyers' hands," Pitino told the Louisville Courier Journal. "I went to Miami. I'm selling my house (in Louisville). I love David Padgett. I love the boys. I hope they win the national championship. I'm not doing anything but laying low."

David Padgett has been named the acting head coach for the Cardinals in the wake of the scandal.

University of Louisville interim President Greg Postel placed Pitino on unpaid administrative leave, effectively firing him, according to Pitino's lawyer, Steve Pence.

Other

blog-091907nrewhouse5mjgjpg-c73b270c5c1c56a7.jpg

Si Newhouse, magazine visionary, made his mark on journalism, Syracuse University (Editorial) (PS; Editorial Board)

We mourn the passing of Samuel Irving Newhouse Jr., whose contributions to publishing, culture and academia made him one of the most quietly influential figures of the 20th century.

Newhouse's father, S.I. Newhouse, founded Advance Publications, the newspaper group that owns Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard. In 1959, Newhouse expanded into magazine publishing by acquiring Conde Nast, publisher of the fashion magazine Vogue and other titles. "Si" Newhouse, as the son was known, joined Conde Nast in 1961 and became its chairman in 1975.

Under Si Newhouse's leadership, Conde Nast's stable of titles grew to include Vanity Fair, Architectural Digest, Self, GQ, Golf Digest, the New Yorker, Conde Nast Traveler, Gourmet, Details and, as the digital age dawned, WIRED and Epicurious.

Newhouse's modus operandi was to hire the best talent and then let them work. In a rare 1989 interview with the New York Times, he declared, "I am not an editor."

"We try to hire people with intelligence and energy," he told the Times. "Then they start to edit, and the magazine comes out in ways that are a total surprise to everyone." Conde Nast's constellation of star editors - among them Anna Wintour, Tina Brown, Graydon Carter and David Remnick - broke publishing taboos, underwrote groundbreaking journalism and celebrated the famous and infamous.

His release is so low. I think he will be able to make outside shots, but he is going to need room.

That's what I thought too, along with very little elevation on the jumper. Hopefully it's just over analyzing practice..

That's what I thought too, along with very little elevation on the jumper. Hopefully it's just over analyzing practice..
Looks like his release is very deliberate early too. All those things are common for kids just starting play at the college level. Despite the nit-picking, I think his stroke is solid and will get better.

I was more concerned over the little crow hop he takes just before each shot. If he can't clean that up, he is going to be called for a lot of travels early in his career. It is a really bad habit.