For Those That Think Long Is The Answer... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For Those That Think Long Is The Answer...

long was fantastic for a true frosh. The kid is special and will win many games for us.

long was fantastic for a true frosh. The kid is special and will win many games for us.

I mean, I believe that he has the potential to be a fantastic QB / playmaker for us.

But he sure wasn't fantastic tonight.

That acknowledged, anybody pointing to tonight's performance as "evidence" of him not being good enough is barking up the wrong tree.

Doesn't DUAL THREAT imply 2 ways to beat you?
Can AJ beat anyone with his running? And it's not like he has a Dree Brees like arm...
Wow this board is unreal tonight. Long is a small freshman with something you can't teach, he's a leader. That defense was great. Do you want long running all over the field and getting hit. Do you want to see our 4th string qb. Stop being clues. I promise you they told him not to run around unless you have a clear path. Let's get him a few more games and maybe another season in the weight room. Hunt can't throw and and is slow. Wilson would have gotten killed tonight.

baggerbob said:
The offensive line including Hickey was exposed in this game, they haven't done even a decent job in blocking for any kind of plays.

Hickey did his job. Did Beasley get a real sack in the game? I think he caught AJ on a scramble behind the line, but that was it.

RF2044 said:
I mean, I believe that he has the potential to be a fantastic QB / playmaker for us. But he sure wasn't fantastic tonight. That acknowledged, anybody pointing to tonight's performance as "evidence" of him not being good enough is barking up the wrong tree.
If you're not a little concerned that means this game meant nothing at all. I want it to count a little

If you're not a little concerned that means this game meant nothing at all. I want it to count a little

Offense sucked tonight. Hunt would have sucked tonight. Wilson would have sucked tonight. Kimble would have sucked tonight.

I'm not sweating a true frosh having a tough game against a great defense. I don't know that they're the "best" defense of the last three years like the announcers were saying [I think that Alabama might have something to say about that], but they were damn good. I don't make any attributions about Long's long term potential based upon how an early road game against a great defense went.

Our offense has a long way to go. Pun intended.

Long is the answer.

Death valley, Saturday night. Clemson defense...

Long is the answer

I do think that TH would have eluded some of these rushes, but you just never know, so it's stupid to even question it.

this will be determined over the next 3 weeks and after Hunt is healed up. Then we'll see both and that will determine the future.

RF2044 said:
Offense sucked tonight. Hunt would have sucked tonight. Wilson would have sucked tonight. Kimble would have sucked tonight. I'm not sweating a true frosh having a tough game against a great defense. I don't know that they're the "best" defense of the last three years like the announcers were saying , but they were damn good. I don't make any attributions about Long's long term potential based upon how an early road game against a great defense went. Our offense has a long way to go. Pun intended.

I am not overreacting to this, I just think that all the games count. 55 rating is like nunes and hunt. Someday I'll look up stats for our good qbs to see who ever had a game like that

I am not overreacting to this, I just think that all the games count. 55 rating is like nunes and hunt. Someday I'll look up stats for our good qbs to see who ever had a game like that

I guarantee you that McNabb had road outings like that against VT. Check his junior year.

I didn't say that tonight didn't count. I just am not going to give up on the kid because he struggled at Clemson.

Millhouse said:

I'm a little concerned that he's not as fast as I thought.

But that's it. He's way too young. Of course the game counts, but I take little from it. This is exactly what I expected. It wasn't just the QB position who had a bad night.

I'm not saying he's the guy for the next 4 years but nothing tonight told me he isn't (except maybe the foot speed. He needs that element to be successful). Need to see more there though.

I'd like to think we're going to recruit someone better anyway. Always looking for something better.

I thought he had a couple really good throws in the first half. Our entire offense was garbage in the second half. On our one good drive we had a big drop by Broyld and Gully on the drive that resulted in a missed field goal. I was expecting a little better than what I got. But my expectations from Long tonight were very low. That is impossible spot for a true freshman. I still think he is light years ahead of Hunt as a QB.

RF2044 said:
I guarantee you that McNabb had road outings like that against VT. Check his junior year. I didn't say that tonight didn't count. I just am not going to give up on the kid because he struggled at Clemson.
13 for 22 for 198 and a pick. 117 rating. My kingdom for that. That's a normal game now. What a joke that friggin mcnabb only threw 22 times in a game where they were way behind. Thanks for making me think about that

Our stinkers recently are incredibly stinky

Good for the kid. Tough place to play vs that defense. He is the kind of kid who takes it personal and uses it as fire for working hard.

13 for 22 for 198 and a pick. 117 rating. My kingdom for that. That's a normal game now. What a joke that friggin mcnabb only threw 22 times in a game where they were way behind. Thanks for making me think about that

I remember it being a lot worse than that. In all likelihood, probably due to the 55 gallon drum of beer I consumed during that game.

Wow this board is unreal tonight. Long is a small freshman with something you can't teach, he's a leader. That defense was great. Do you want long running all over the field and getting hit. Do you want to see our 4th string qb. Stop being clues. I promise you they told him not to run around unless you have a clear path. Let's get him a few more games and maybe another season in the weight room. Hunt can't throw and and is slow. Wilson would have gotten killed tonight.
Herm Edwards said it - "You play to win the game, you play to WIN the game!" Not you play to protect your qb... Is a few more games going to make AJ grow 4 inches? So he can see over linemen or stop batted passes at the line? A few more games will make him a faster natural runner?

And if I remember correctly he played that game with a separated shoulder.

RF2044 said:
I remember it being a lot worse than that. In all likelihood, probably due to the 55 gallon drum of beer I consumed during that game.
I remember nothing from that game

Herm Edwards said it - "You play to win the game, you play to WIN the game!" Not you play to protect your qb... Is a few more games going to made AJ grow 4 inches? So he can see over linemen or stop batted passes at the line? A few more games will make him a faster natural runner?

A few more games will make him more experienced. It will make the game slow down. It will make him not as rattled when facing relentless pressure, from a team of great athletes like we saw tonight--so that instead of the OC going into an ultra-conservative shell because his frosh QB who was playing like he was rattled and making mistakes, that he might be able to shake off that type of adversity because he's BEEN THERE BEFORE.

Let's not pretend that this isn't a true frosh, in a road game against a great defense. His performance left a LOT to be desired. No question about that. But those ready to bury him seem to be overlooking that him being thrown to the wolves now might pay developmental dividends down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom