For Those That Think Long Is The Answer... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

For Those That Think Long Is The Answer...

Maybe. Or maybe Long is good enough to get us to the next level. I don't think you can draw any definitive conclusion from a game like today's.

How many times is he going to play in front of an obnoxiously drunk 81000 fans on the road in his career? How many times is he going to face a defense that good in his career?

He's looked good in the previous two games. Better than good. Tonight he struggled against a great D. If he bounced back next week against NC State, and plays well down the stretch, then tonight will be a learning experience to grow on.
You mean the drunk, obnoxious fans made him throw those passes behind his receivers? In all fairness, if his targets couldn't get separation, it made it very tough for him. He has physical limitations, his height and foot speed, that will make it difficult for him to be a top tier qb. Hoping that Alin Edouard gets here next year.

Chip said:
If people are really that sure that he's not the answer already, then I think your opinion should be that the coaches should go too. If we're already so sure that it's this big of a recruiting miss at the most important position on the football field, then throw the baby out with the bath water. Put me in the level headed camp that says he needs more time. It's unfortunate that Wilson was hurt, would have been a great audition for both of them even though it complicates things for a Lester at a time when he needs that the least. After last night the team should realize how nice it is to be at home. Win the next 2 and no one remembers the Clemson game result being exactly as we expected.
I don't want to get misconstrued . I'm not going out on any limb. He needs more time. But a game like that does make me slightly less hopeful

i'll cut a.j. long some slack becuz he's raw but too often he was trying to force balls into blanket coverage. and that's a recipe for disaster.
factor in also his tosses often weren't clearing the d-line. several batted down passes. one intercepted (great one handed play) but a couple others that could also been scooped up. and frankly he takes a lot of sacks. i'm not writing him off by any means but a healthy hunt seems to be a better option.

Last edited:
Long may improve in time. The problem is .. we don't have time. The days of "developing" guys while they learn on the fly for 2-3 years are over. This league is packed with top-25 teams and national TV exposure. And right now, our goal is not getting embarrassed.

We need more creative coaching to mask our personnel weaknesses while the staff (or a new staff) brings in players that can compete at this level. Yes our D played its heart out. And the O-Line and special teams played surprisingly well. But we fielded a slow, predictable, non-functional offense, featuring an undersized QB that had half a dozen passes knocked down .. trying to throw to receivers who struggled to get open. You have to play well in all 3 phases to win in this league. We're 3-5 with a bunch of pretty tough games left on the schedule -- including Duke that has no FB tradition whatsoever and is 6-1. If we loose to them, I'm not sure I can keep the faith (maybe a paper bag is the answer). Either way, from my seat, something fairly serious has to change or we're going to have 10k for Dome games pretty soon.

Last edited:
Better running backs, and the bigger receivers, like Custis, Enoicy, plus some of the young linemen growing up, with better blocking will make AJ a better QB. On the starting offense the only player who will get a look in the draft right now is Hickey. That shows the lack of talent, the younger players might get there in a couple years, but right now they are no where near NFL talents.

Long' s size shows why the staff wanted to redshirt him

Undersized, weak-armed, and slower than one might imagine him to be. He looks awfully Troy Nunes-ish right now. Size is size but can he remedy the speed and strength issues over the offseason? Easier said than done. Nunes improved physically but it took years. It's definitely not the time to pull the plug on A.J. but we need to prepare ourselves for the possibility that he's not the long-term answer.

He's played against FSU, @WF and Clemson at night.

We competed in all three of those games and won the one we were favored in.

This kid is a true frosh that is working with a guy that just got anointed OC and is running someone else's play book.

Give him the rest of the year. If we compete and beat the NC States of the world, the job is his.

People clamping for great QB play against this Clemson defense, at night, with our injury situation are crazy.

AJ made some bad plays - but all are correctable.

He also took every shot to the body they could throw at him and didn't miss a play.

We need to work things out with his size and where we put him to step into his throws, but that is fixable.

Anyone hoping for us to land the next McNabb or thinking that Hunt would have done anything better need to find a lantern with a genie.

Season re-starts today. The rest of the games we should be in them to win.

AJ is our guy right now. We should all hope he is our guy for the future. We do not want to be re-booting again with Hunt or hoping another TBD recruit is coming here that is the second coming. Ain't happening.

Undersized, weak-armed, and slower than one might imagine him to be. He looks awfully Troy Nunes-ish right now. Size is size but can he remedy the speed and strength issues over the offseason? Easier said than done. Nunes improved physically but it took years. It's definitely not the time to pull the plug on A.J. but we need to prepare ourselves for the possibility that he's not the long-term answer.
if he gets here eduard looks like the long term solution

He's played against FSU, @WF and Clemson at night.

We competed in all three of those games and won the one we were favored in.

This kid is a true frosh that is working with a guy that just got anointed OC and is running someone else's play book.

Give him the rest of the year. If we compete and beat the NC States of the world, the job is his.

People clamping for great QB play against this Clemson defense, at night, with our injury situation are crazy.

AJ made some bad plays - but all are correctable.

He also took every shot to the body they could throw at him and didn't miss a play.

We need to work things out with his size and where we put him to step into his throws, but that is fixable.

Anyone hoping for us to land the next McNabb or thinking that Hunt would have done anything better need to find a lantern with a genie.

Season re-starts today. The rest of the games we should be in them to win.

AJ is our guy right now. We should all hope he is our guy for the future. We do not want to be re-booting again with Hunt or hoping another TBD recruit is coming here that is the second coming. Ain't happening.
hunts running ability would of helped but staff shackling long isn't helping

It's kinda early to write off Long, but again I'm not sure he is skilled enough to lead us to where we need to be. I am wondering about a few of the plays called and I really don't understand why Gulley was in there so much yesterday. Ameen Moore should be playing a lot more I know that much. Running side to side did nothing yesturday. Also I didn't see one bubble screen at all yesturday which bothers me. It would of been a good day to do that to get long in rhythm.

Hunt is slow, period.

And he throws a junk ball.

He has good vision and is willing to take on contact for an extra yard at the end of runs.

But against an elite D, his lack of burst and top end speed would have rendered his running useless.

Big IF... I'll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime, let all this throwing AJ under the bus cease. Thank you.

Hunt's experience would have helped last night but his running ability wouldn't have added one more yard.

You mean the drunk, obnoxious fans made him throw those passes behind his receivers? In all fairness, if his targets couldn't get separation, it made it very tough for him. He has physical limitations, his height and foot speed, that will make it difficult for him to be a top tier qb. Hoping that Alin Edouard gets here next year.

Is this a joke? You don't think a crowd can have an impact on a QBs ability to focus, call out signals, make audibles, etc.

Long is a TRUE FROSH. Last night, he ran into a buzz saw and got rattled. A more experienced QB might not have been as affected by the crowd, but this is a true frosh playing in only his third game.

Edouard--hope he does arrive. It sounds like he doesn't throw the ball well. We'll see if he is the real deal when / if he makes it here.

Probably because gulley is our best, most consistent back. I was glad we went with primarily 2 backs. Let them get a rhythm.

Orangefan1 said:
I am wondering about a few of the plays called and I really don't understand why Gulley was in there so much yesterday. Ameen Moore should be playing a lot more I know that much.

Big IF... I'll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime, let all this throwing AJ under the bus cease. Thank you.

everything I've read is its still looks good for him to join in January

He might be but come on, no one knows anything about Edouard's ability when facing D1 competition. We should not be expecting him to be that guy quite yet, but we can all hope he is, if he shows up, time will tell.

AJ didn't have his best game and we still had a chance to win that game in Death Valley, I think he's fine and gives us a chance to win every game. He learns fast and has the ability to be a playmaker lethal combination, bright future ahead for this program.

He might be but come on, no one knows anything about Edouard's ability when facing D1 competition. We should not be expecting him to be that guy quite yet, but we can all hope he is, if he shows up, time will tell.

Exactly. It's easy to take the guy with no collegiate snaps over the guy that clearly has work to do to get us over the top.

Alin might be a quick fix... but I doubt it. I trust Lester and Shafer to get that position right.

Long may improve in time. The problem is .. we don't have time. The days of "developing" guys while they learn on the fly for 2-3 years are over. This league is packed with top-25 teams and national TV exposure. And right now, our goal is not getting embarrassed.

We need more creative coaching to mask our personnel weaknesses while the staff (or a new staff) brings in players that can compete at this level. Yes our D played its heart out. And the O-Line and special teams played surprisingly well. But we fielded a slow, predictable, non-functional offense, featuring an undersized QB that had half a dozen passes knocked down .. trying to throw to receivers who struggled to get open. You have to play well in all 3 phases to win in this league. We're 3-5 with a bunch of pretty tough games left on the schedule -- including Duke that has no FB tradition whatsoever and is 6-1. If we loose to them, I'm not sure I can keep the faith (maybe a paper bag is the answer). Either way, from my seat, something fairly serious has to change or we're going to have 10k for Dome games pretty soon.

This league is packed with 2 perennial top-25 teams. If you want to throw in Louisville you can - but It's not that hard of a league, outside of FSU.

I don't think the goal was to go into Death Valley (or Classless Valley) and not get embarrassed. They played to win. Just couldn't overcome that top 10 D.

I trust Lester and Shafer to get that position right.
why?

i am agnostic on lester. he didn't do much as a QB coach with hunt. maybe that's not his fault.

the only thing i can say for shafer is that he pulled the plug on mcdonald. shrug

This league is packed with 2 perennial top-25 teams. If you want to throw in Louisville you can - but It's not that hard of a league, outside of FSU.

I don't think the goal was to go into Death Valley (or Classless Valley) and not get embarrassed. They played to win. Just couldn't overcome that top 10 D.
Well that's part true, part false. I agree with you about Clemson -- but only because they didn't have their starting QB. If they have him, it wouldn't have been as close despite our hard-working defense.

As far as the ACC, obviously it is a quality league, much more competitive than the BE as our record indicates. Sorry but it's not just FSU and Clemson, as lopsided scores might remind you (G-Tech pasted us). Again this year, a middle of the pack (now B1G) Maryland team pasted us. If we played Miami they would paste us. Even Duke is 6-1 -- I'm going to pray that we don't loose to them -- wow talk about a low point. I mean, the evidence is abundant -- all we're doing here, for the most part, is hopding we don't get embarrassed. We were not in the game against, Md, Louisville or FSU. We were in the game for a period against Clemson b/c of lights out defense .. but looking back, we never had a chance with our offense. We scored one touchdown against Wake Forrest. None against Clemson. None against Louisville.

I wear Orange glasses, too, but ... our offense is borderline unwatchable. We can't score against any decent team, let alone good ACC teams. What's the plan here? Wait 2 years for Long to "develop" and fill out? How many years is it going to take to bring in some receivers that can actually get open against the upper half of the conference? I'm getting nervous.

why?

i am agnostic on lester. he didn't do much as a QB coach with hunt. maybe that's not his fault.

the only thing i can say for shafer is that he pulled the plug on mcdonald. shrug

This past game's performance not-withstanding, I think Lester has done a nice job with the guys he has. AJ's confidence is in part due to Lester's ability to get him prepped. Hunt is lacking in accuracy, which Lester tried to correct - but Hunt's throwing motion has regressed as the season has gone on (I put that on Hunt). AJ knows where to go with the ball and get's it there as well as you can expect a freshman to. That "reading the defense" and being aware of where to go with the ball is coaching.

As far as Shafer - yep - pulling the plug was all balls and not easy. He knows how good the position needs to be and took steps to rectify it. I think you can trust that he'll do everything he can to get it right. I don't know if it will be enough - but I don't think he'll leave any stones unturned.

Well that's part true, part false. I agree with you about Clemson -- but only because they didn't have their starting QB. If they have him, it wouldn't have been as close despite our hard-working defense.

As far as the ACC, obviously it is a quality league, much more competitive than the BE as our record indicates. Sorry but it's not just FSU and Clemson, as lopsided scores might remind you (G-Tech pasted us). Again this year, a middle of the pack (now B1G) Maryland team pasted us. If we played Miami they would paste us. Even Duke is 6-1 -- I'm going to pray that we don't loose to them -- wow talk about a low point. I mean, the evidence is abundant -- all we're doing here, for the most part, is hopding we don't get embarrassed. We were not in the game against, Md, Louisville or FSU. We were in the game for a period against Clemson b/c of lights out defense .. but looking back, we never had a chance with our offense. We scored one touchdown against Wake Forrest. None against Clemson. None against Louisville.

I wear Orange glasses, too, but ... our offense is borderline unwatchable. We can't score against any decent team, let alone good ACC teams. What's the plan here? Wait 2 years for Long to "develop" and fill out? How many years is it going to take to bring in some receivers that can actually get open against the upper half of the conference? I'm getting nervous.

Yeah - clearly overly nervous.

I'm not saying we're better than those teams - clearly our offense has been tough to watch. But we're right there in the middle of the pack. I'm very encouraged by the way the freshman have played this season. If we put another class together that produces like this one - and can find a QB (Maybe Long or Alin or ?) - we're not that far away.

Duke is a great example. They are not every good this year and are leading their division. Miami is probably better than us - but pasted? C'mon.
We were very much in the Louisville, Maryland, and Clemson games. If our O scored one extra TD in any of those games in the 3rd quarter and it's a toss up as to who wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom