For Those That Think Long Is The Answer... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

For Those That Think Long Is The Answer...

He might be running more if they had another QB backing him up. They can't afford a big hit on him.
Yeah, there have been a handful of times when he's taken off and looked really, really fast.

When that's happened it felt like it was on accident though.

A few more games will make him more experienced. It will make the game slow down. It will make him not as rattled when facing relentless pressure, from a team of great athletes like we saw tonight.

Let's not pretend that this isn't a true frosh, in a road game against a great defense. His performance left a LOT to be desired. No question about that. But those ready to bury him seem to be overlooking that him being thrown to the wolves now might pay developmental dividends down the road.
AJ is our best hope NOW... I want him to succeed, but if we want a team that can one day go into Death Valley and TAKE a victory FROM them, we need more... We can't even accept a win on a silver platter right now...

AJ is our best hope NOW... I want him to succeed, but if we want a team that can one day go into Death Valley and TAKE a victory FROM them, we need more... We can't even accept a win on a silver platter right now...

Maybe. Or maybe Long is good enough to get us to the next level. I don't think you can draw any definitive conclusion from a game like today's.

How many times is he going to play in front of an obnoxiously drunk 81000 fans on the road in his career? How many times is he going to face a defense that good in his career?

He's looked good in the previous two games. Better than good. Tonight he struggled against a great D. If he bounced back next week against NC State, and plays well down the stretch, then tonight will be a learning experience to grow on.

I wasn't ready to anoint Long a star after WF like 1/2 the fans were nor am I ready to bury him after this game like 1/2 the board is.

I was going to post something similar to this. Way too early for anything right now for better or worse. All I know is our entire offense needs a LOT of work.

Seems AJ knows he didn't have a good game. I like this attitude. Can only make him stronger.

Stephen Bailey @Stephen_Bailey1 · 44m44 minutes ago
AJ Long said he couldn't look defensive teammates in the eyes late in the game and in the locker room afterward. Accepted a lot of blame.
A very mature thing to do for a 19 year old. Everyone should feel shame during a performance like that, but the D did what it could. Couldn't be prouder of holding a top-25 team at their house to a score with only a 10-point difference.

I knew earlier in the week when Long was talking about Venables schemes and how inscrutable they are , that the coaching staff had already screwed up his head, They did that to Hunt too , that is sapping the flow on offense.

This thread is insane. True frosh who looks pretty impressive against FSU and then again against a good Wake D. A phenomenal Clemson D shuts him down in Death Valley and he has been exposed. Right.

Long is the answer.

Death valley, Saturday night. Clemson defense...

Long is the answer
Long fumbled the ball three times, and threw a bad interception, so for me not the answer right now. He hopefully will improve a lot in the next year or so. He is probably what we have while Hunt is injured.

AJ has potential and last night he looked like a young and inexperienced QB playing against a good team in a loud raucous environment. He made a lot of really bad decisions. He scrambled side to side thinking he could outrun guys and couldn't, he held the ball too long on occasion and made way too many bad reads. I think its too early in his career to anoint him the QB of the future or as a backup. Whats important is seeing how he can bounce back from a really bad game.

I thought he had a couple really good throws in the first half. Our entire offense was garbage in the second half. On our one good drive we had a big drop by Broyld and Gully on the drive that resulted in a missed field goal. I was expecting a little better than what I got. But my expectations from Long tonight were very low. That is impossible spot for a true freshman. I still think he is light years ahead of Hunt as a QB.

Thanks for reminding me that Broyld alligator armed another pass last night. I'm glad he's back but enough is enough with his drops. Bench him and give the snaps to somene with better hands, or should we be ok with one ''big' drop a game from him. I haven't seen a trade off yet.

Herm Edwards said it - "You play to win the game, you play to WIN the game!" Not you play to protect your qb... Is a few more games going to make AJ grow 4 inches? So he can see over linemen or stop batted passes at the line? A few more games will make him a faster natural runner?
Yeah that's exactly what we needed to do. We should run aj all over the field and let him get crushed. That really makes sense. herm Edwards had nfl talent and backups. We don't have either. You protect your assets and aj is one of our assets.

Last edited:
PhatOrange said:
Thanks for reminding me that Broyld alligator armed another pass last night. I'm glad he's back but enough is enough with his drops. Bench him and give the snaps to somene with better hands, or should we be ok with one ''big' drop a game from him. I haven't seen a trade off yet.

He was literally the only guy open and making plays. The only one.

When you face a great defense or a great pitcher you do get exposed. The kid fought and the whole offense got beat by a helluva defense. SU will not lose another game this year.

Yeah that's exactly what we needed to do. We should run aj all over the field and let him get crushed. That really makes sense. herm Edwards was had nfl talent and backups. We don't have either. You protect your assets and aj is one of our assets.

Right.We have 4 much more winnable games left.We lose Long and it's season's over.

True but he had one of his famous alligator arm plays as well. I swear I saw his arms retract back into his body on that play.

Game could have been a lot different with Hunt in there last night. Two distinct advantages from Long...1) Hunt gets more rushing yards 2) Hunt doesn't throw that huge int...he not only throws the ball over the defender, he safely throws the ball 5 feet over West's outstretched arms and out of bounds!

Game could have been a lot different with Hunt in there last night. Two distinct advantages from Long...1) Hunt gets more rushing yards 2) Hunt doesn't throw that huge int...he not only throws the ball over the defender, he safely throws the ball 5 feet over West's outstretched arms and out of bounds!

Have to agree that this seemed like a Hunt-type game.

That said, I'll roll into most Saturdays with Long.

Hunt gets more rushing yards cause the coaches allowed him run whenever. That was part of the problem. He couldn't read the defense so instead of letting things develop he would take off running. When he did try to let plays develop he would throw the ball 5' over our receivers or 5' behind them. Not saying aj is Drew Brees but he's the best qb we have and we need to protect him and allow him to develop.

TheCusian said:

He avoids contact like the plague.

No wonder why he refuses to switch to D.

If people are really that sure that he's not the answer already, then I think your opinion should be that the coaches should go too. If we're already so sure that it's this big of a recruiting miss at the most important position on the football field, then throw the baby out with the bath water.

Put me in the level headed camp that says he needs more time. It's unfortunate that Wilson was hurt, would have been a great audition for both of them even though it complicates things for a Lester at a time when he needs that the least.

After last night the team should realize how nice it is to be at home. Win the next 2 and no one remembers the Clemson game result being exactly as we expected.

I wouldn't say Long was exposed, but the game did vindicate the "Don't put Long in Canton yet" camp. He might end up being good, but he hasn't proven that yet and i don't think he has earned the starting job to this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom