Class of 2015 - For Those Who Value Star Ratings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 For Those Who Value Star Ratings

Wait...so does this mean that a bunch of our recruits got better over night all at the same time?

More or less. Maybe Scout just had a massive backlog of recruits to evaluate. The timing of it doesn't exactly leave you with a warm and fuzzy that it's all that meaningful because the senior seasons haven't started and there hasn't been much in the way of camps recently, but it does look good on paper.

Reactions: 007
Wait...so does this mean that a bunch of our recruits got better over night all at the same time?

I would be careful GO... It struck me funny that Wolfgang is playing mere miles from me at IC... Why would he go to IC... Why did FHCDM have so many connections to SUNY Cortland; the college I went to... Color me a bit worried as you should now be...

I really kind of accidentally wandered into the wrong building after the mind blowing blur of a victory in 2011. I was just looking for a lavatory and noticed this pulsating glow coming from a room on the other side of this cracked door and instead found a laboratory. I was amazed and shocked what I saw... D coach SS all dressed mad scientist like giving Bromley and Macky Mac this bubbling concoction. .

big.jpg

At the time I thought they were going to be good but not what they turned to be... "To small, barely recruited"...
I thought nothing went on at Holden but who would ever expect anything in the middle of a major university campus. There he was with with all the mad scientist laughing. So I quietly slipped out unnoticed and went on my way back to Manley trying to scream "Let's GO ORANGE" with my already blown out voice. That night I didn't care if I ever had a voice again. I thought I was unnoticed unseen.

Holden.jpg

Now this!!! I probably shouldn't be posting all this... I probably should have just erased that night or cottoned it up to an amazing dream after an amazing night but... it is time to put two and two together. "Empty" building in the middle of campus with Gothic architecture... our AD is one "DOCTOR" Gross... Staff pushing to get recruits on campus for "visits" and kids "loving the visit" and committing after their visit... NOW THIS... THIS "BUMP"... If you want proof just take a look at the Shy thread... Look at how super human mega awesome he looks after his visit... AFTER THE VISIT!!!!!... I should have known that a "too small center" could not have done what he did for four years without some "help".........

Now for the Chemtrails...

Last edited:
I really kind of accidentally wandered into the wrong building after the mind blowing blur of a victory in 2011. I was just looking for a lavatory and noticed this pulsating glow coming from a room on the other side of this cracked door and instead found a laboratory. I was amazed and shocked what I saw... D coach SS all dressed mad scientist like giving Bromley and Macky Mac this bubbling concoction. .

big.jpg

At the time I thought they were going to be good but not what they turned to be... "To small, barely recruited"...
I thought nothing went on at Holden but who would ever expect anything in the middle of a major university campus. There he was with with all the mad scientist laughing. So I quietly slipped out unnoticed and went on my way back to Manley trying to scream "Let's GO ORANGE" with my already blown out voice. That night I didn't care if I ever had a voice again.

Holden.jpg

Now this!!! I probably shouldn't be posting all this... I probably should have just erased that night or cottoned it up to an amazing dream after an amazing night but... it is time to put two and two together. "Empty" building in the middle of campus with Gothic architecture... our AD is one "DOCTOR" Gross... Staff pushing to get recruits on campus for "visits" and kids "loving the visit" and committing after their visit... NOW THIS... THIS "BUMP"... If you want proof just take a look at the Shy thread... Look at how super human mega awesome he looks after his visit... AFTER THE VISIT!!!!!... I should have known that a "too small center" could not have done what he did for four years without some "help"......

This post brought a tear to my eye. Just a magnificent piece of literature. I would say it should be nominated for post of the year, but it already won.

This post brought a tear to my eye. Just a magnificent piece of literature. I would say it should be nominated for post of the year, but it already won.
Agreed, the effort alone was magnificent. Bravo, BRAVO!

Standing O.png

If they bumped up ten players before the high school season even started there might a good chance that a few could be bumped up to a 4 star now that they are on the radar screen after the season.

And for some reason I liked Guidice's film a lot...he plays mean and nasty.
From what I have read on the Scowt boards it is not that easy to change stars once they are in. I guess that a few of our guys really should be rated higher but once they got offers and were not widely known they were just "put" into the system. So in all reality we could have a few 4 or 5 star players. I could be wrong but that is what I took from the conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be careful GO... It struck me funny that Wolfgang is playing mere miles from me at IC... Why would he go to IC... Why did FHCDM have so many connections to SUNY Cortland; the college I went to... Color me a bit worried as you should now be...

big.jpg

I thought nothing went on at Holden but who would ever expect anything in the middle of a major university campus. There he was with with all the mad scientist laughing. So I quietly slipped out unnoticed and went on my way back to Manley trying to scream "Let's GO ORANGE" with my already blown out voice. That night I didn't care if I ever had a voice again. I thought I was unnoticed unseen.

Holden.jpg

Now this!!! I probably shouldn't be posting all this... I probably should have just erased that night or cottoned it up to an amazing dream after an amazing night but... it is time to put two and two together. "Empty" building in the middle of campus with Gothic architecture... our AD is one "DOCTOR" Gross... Staff pushing to get recruits on campus for "visits" and kids "loving the visit" and committing after their visit... NOW THIS... THIS "BUMP"... If you want proof just take a look at the Shy thread... Look at how super human mega awesome he looks after his visit... AFTER THE VISIT!!!!!... I should have known that a "too small center" could not have done what he did for four years without some "help"......

Very nicely done. I can only imagine what your classes were like. Those kids were very fortunate.

Pretty sure Skout had a scheduled ratings adjustment. They usually have 4 or 5 of those a year, so it's not really a big surprise there were adjustments.

I figured we would get 5 or 6 kids earning another star. Wasnt expecting 10. We doubled the amount of 3 stars in one rating adjustment.

As some one explained to me the kids that got changed in this round were kids the sites had no knowledge of. The were given generic star rankings when they got their offers based on geographical location. So shy is from mass was given an automatic 2 stars. Then the media and others got after them to sit down and do a true evaluation and that's where the new rankings came from. So as I have said before the stars system is useless.

So... this is awesome. I've always felt that our bread and butter would be classes made primary with 3 star talent, with a couple of 4 stars, and a few select 2 stars that we really like.

And that's what this class is likely shaping up to be.

They dropped almost all of the player rankings for those that were 3 stars before the update though.

Apparently Rivals is doing an update as well, Tyrone Perkins just got upgraded to 3 stars there.

anomander said:
Pretty sure Skout had a scheduled ratings adjustment. They usually have 4 or 5 of those a year, so it's not really a big surprise there were adjustments.

Yes they did, but I didn't want to bother with it.

Great article on this subject. Not sure if it's a site I pay for or not so I won't quote. But Brian from scowt explains the jump. ... And he talks about shy so I thought it was a great article lol.

Great article on this subject. Not sure if it's a site I pay for or not so I won't quote. But Brian from scowt explains the jump. ... And he talks about shy so I thought it was a great article lol.

If Brian didn't admit that Skout systematically bumps players based on how many subscribers they have for that school's forums, then he's lying. It's well documented that many players get a star bump when they've flipped from supposedly lower echelon schools like SU to bigger name, higher subscribing school fan bases. We've also seen it in reverse. After all, their main business is selling subscriptions - SU forum has very few subscribers compared to many other schools. They need to keep their paying base happy.

So... this is awesome. I've always felt that our bread and butter would be classes made primary with 3 star talent, with a couple of 4 stars, and a few select 2 stars that we really like.

And that's what this class is likely shaping up to be.

Agree 100%.

texascpa said:
If Brian didn't admit that Skout systematically bumps players based on how many subscribers they have for that school's forums, then he's lying. It's well documented that many players get a star bump when they've flipped from supposedly lower echelon schools like SU to bigger name, higher subscribing school fan bases. We've also seen it in reverse. After all, their main business is selling subscriptions - SU forum has very few subscribers compared to many other schools. They need to keep their paying base happy.

Won't say never, but in general that's not true. How would you explain the schools who have few or none subscribers or aren't part of the site at all but their recruits get bumps up or down? There are many schools like that on one site or another. In the ACC, VT is an easy example. Plus why did SU get so many bumped?

No but he does say they don't even look at kids in their initial rating... Unknowns 2 stars automaticly. That has been my big complaint all along just label the kid as unchecked until you do rate them. I think just putting a blanket 2 stars hurts kids recruiting in some cases and is a little disappointing to the player.

This theory falls on its face based upon the recent adjustment as we received the biggest overall bump in team rating of any DI school in the rankings. How does one explain the perceived bias in that?

I don't deny its a business and don't deny that there is anecdotal evidence of the same but the urban myth that SU gets purposefully or intentionally screwed in the rankings just doesn't bear out based upon my observations over the last 4 years or so I have actively followed recruiting.

No but he does say they don't even look at kids in their initial rating... Unknowns 2 stars automaticly. That has been my big complaint all along just label the kid as unchecked until you do rate them. I think just putting a blanket 2 stars hurts kids recruiting in some cases and is a little disappointing to the player.

It took a while to get scout to admit that's what they do; for the longest time we were told that stars weren't assigned unless a recruit was evaluated - which wasn't true. I agree, the meaningless 2 star ranking thing really has to be scrapped. Keep them at NR until they are evaluated.