Forced to listen on the radio | Syracusefan.com

Forced to listen on the radio

just a random question.. how many other radio sources for games do you listen to to compare how good he is? While i know he does have his moments he is actually pretty good.. if you have xm pick any random day and listen to 4-5 other games and then rate him.. I would say about 50-60% of the radio teams are barely HS level. Most of the SEC ones are 100% homer stations. He roots for the team as well clearly but also is pretty objective.

Was on the road. Matt park got down and distance wrong a half a dozen times. And when we were up 11 he was talking like the upset was in the bag. He’s terrible I’m sorry. We should be able to do better
He's fine, but there's a reason he's been here for 20 years.

Was on the road. Matt park got down and distance wrong a half a dozen times. And when we were up 11 he was talking like the upset was in the bag. He’s terrible I’m sorry. We should be able to do better

He’s the worst radio play by play guy ever. When I’m forced to hit the radio I listen to the opposing feed on Sirius

I had to listen to much of the 1st half. They were rough mistakes. Our first series he said it was 2nd and 6 when it was really 3rd down. I know you could say "well, as a listening fan can't you count the downs", but not always easy when driving.

When we had the turnover on downs, he said the play was 3rd down and Clemson had 4th down coming up.

I love Adam Terry's passion for the team, but he's often cheering or jeering over Matt, then they either celebrate or commisserate together, and they forgot to actually describe what happened.

I'm not saying I'd do any better. I'd be awful at the job, because I'd be a fan watching.

I love Adam Terry's passion for the team, but he's often cheering or jeering over Matt, then they either celebrate or commisserate together, and they forgot to actually describe what happened.
This is why I don't understand why people loved Doug Logan so much. All he did was scream, at the expense of sharing what was happening.

He’s the worst radio play by play guy ever. When I’m forced to hit the radio I listen to the opposing feed on Sirius
You could try WAER's broadcast. Ostensibly you'd be listening to the future Sean McDonough/Mike Tirico/Marv Albert.

I can no longer get Matt Park's broadcast on internet radio (eg, TuneIn App), apparently it is blacked out. But I can get WAER on TuneIn - they have a 1 to 2 hour postgame show after each game.

This is why I don't understand why people loved Doug Logan so much. All he did was scream, at the expense of sharing what was happening.

Logan got excited but he gave a clear picture of the game. Matt will jump out of his seat over a run that'll end up being a 1 yard gain. It's annoying. That's one of many issues with him.

just a random question.. how many other radio sources for games do you listen to to compare how good he is? While i know he does have his moments he is actually pretty good.. if you have xm pick any random day and listen to 4-5 other games and then rate him.. I would say about 50-60% of the radio teams are barely HS level. Most of the SEC ones are 100% homer stations. He roots for the team as well clearly but also is pretty objective.
I'm out and about a lot on Saturdays (years and years of being a taxi service for youth sports) so I listen to a broad range of radio PxP guys. He's not "pretty good". He's replacement level.

His biggest flaw is not giving the down and distance nearly enough. Forget about the accuracy of it, he just doesn't do it for stretches at a time, which is mind blowing.

Logan got excited but he gave a clear picture of the game. Matt will jump out of his seat over a run that'll end up being a 1 yard gain. It's annoying. That's one of many issues with him.
I very much disagree, but a matter of tastes, I suppose.

Also, he teaches the one sports announcing class offered in Newhouse, so Drew Carter and Noah Eagle would probably agree he's doing something right.

Also, he teaches the one sports announcing class offered in Newhouse, so Drew Carter and Noah Eagle would probably agree he's doing something right.

To me, he seems like a nice guy, dedicated guy, hard working guy.

I listen to our games as intently as I watch them (when forced to listen), and I just find myself not knowing what's going on, or screaming tell me what just happened!

I'm out and about a lot on Saturdays (years and years of being a taxi service for youth sports) so I listen to a broad range of radio PxP guys. He's not "pretty good". He's replacement level.

His biggest flaw is not giving the down and distance nearly enough. Forget about the accuracy of it, he just doesn't do it for stretches at a time, which is mind blowing.
Agree. For a long time, when the SU football team was on TV, I would eschew listening to the TV broadcasters and listen to the SU radio feed instead.

That ended when Matt took over. He is a really good guy and I think is okay doing basketball. Football is not his thing.

I think the first thing Newhouse teaches students learning how to do play by play is to give the down and distance every play. Not doing that most of the time is not acceptable.

Then there are the problems being able to articulate what he is seeing as it happens.

I think he would be a great pre and post game host and perhaps someday something along these lines will happen. Anyone know who makes the call on who does our radio broadcasts? Is it the IMG Sports Network? Is it the SUAD? Someone else?

I think the first thing Newhouse teaches students learning how to do play by play is to give the down and distance every play. Not doing that most of the time is not acceptable.
Again, Matt Park teaches the Sports Announcing class in Newhouse, so...

Matt Park was an excellent color commentator when he worked alongside Mark Johnson.

He is simply an awful play-by-play announcer.

To me, he seems like a nice guy, dedicated guy, hard working guy.

I listen to our games as intently as I watch them (when forced to listen), and I just find myself not knowing what's going on, or screaming tell me what just happened!
I don't know how many times I was yelling in the car "Matt, what is the down and distance?!" The most egregious one was on the 4th down stop that he thought it was 3rd down. I also had no idea what was going on on Clemson's last drive at the end of the half.

I’ve never listened to a Matt Park radio broadcast. I’ve often heard about the down and distance thing. I want to give it a shot to hear the suckitude.

I found Logan so frustrating that I sent him a letter instructing him on how to do it (I certainly couldn't do better, but I knew what he wasn't doing that I needed him to do).

Every pass play was "The throw... CAUGHT!" followed by 10 seconds of silence. Short? Long? Touchdown? Tackled immediately? Never knew.

We were coming home from out west and listened to Matt the last time SU played Penn S. It was frustrating as heck because I never knew down and distance...very frustrating. Then on Sirus...ironically...the Clemson game was on after vs I don't remember. That play by play was excellent and I tu4rned to my wife and said I really wished this guy did the SU game.

Again, Matt Park teaches the Sports Announcing class in Newhouse, so...
Someone else must be augmenting the Newhouse students training then because if you listen to a WAER football broadcast, you will hear a completely different broadcast than the one Matt does.

Down and distance is provided almost constantly, they provide info like who has the ball, what the score is, etc. The same applies to all the Newhouse grads that do games on TV and radio all over the country.

Someone else must be augmenting the Newhouse students training then because if you listen to a WAER football broadcast, you will hear a completely different broadcast than the one Matt does.

Down and distance is provided almost constantly, they provide info like who has the ball, what the score is, etc. The same applies to all the Newhouse grads that do games on TV and radio all over the country.
I'm sure things have changed since a decade ago, but I was Matt's TA for the lone sportscasting class offered.

Not mentioning having a cold one or two. But hey, it worked out OK for Harry Carey!

simpsons-reverse-loop.gif

I've been listening to the WAER football and basketball broadcasts for years. I usually have the TV on mute.

I like how they'll tell you things like who on defense (SU) makes a tackle...the down and distance. The quality of the play-by-play can vary depending on who is doing it. They rotate the play-by-play and commentators. Some are better than others...most are more informative than Parks.

Been a while since I've thought we've had a decent PBP announcer on commercial radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom