Fort Drum Adopt a Platoon Program | Syracusefan.com

Fort Drum Adopt a Platoon Program

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
We had some posters interested in the Adopt a Plotoon Program. I reached out to a contact at Fort Drum, and he gave me a ton of info, which I'll post below. I'd like to get a good show of hands of who would be interested, to make sure we can cover a full platoon. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll put your name down. I'll check back after the weekend and see what we are working with.

1. If we adopt a platoon (10-40 soldiers) would we collect items and ship to Ft Drum at Watertown or directly to where the unit is deployed? Directly to the platoon using the Army Post Office (APO) ... you pay to NYC and the governments pays the rest ...
2. How long is a platoon’s deployment? A unit’s deployment is usually a year …
3. Do we have to pick up another unit or end at the end of our units return? Only if you so elect ... there is no requirement to do back to back but many sponsors do ...
4. What is my expected degree of involvement? Send a package once a month andaddress your notes to the entire platoon instead of one specific person.
5. How often should we send packages? Your call ... usually once a month works ... some send more often and some less ... it is not how often or even what is in the package ... it is that they see some one cares and appreciates their service and sacrifice ...
6. Who pays to ship the packages? You do …
7. Can we send UPS or FEDEX? No they will not deliver to a Army Post Office Address (APO) …
8. What do I need to know about shipping?
A. Use the following address by filling in the ?
Name (First, Last with No Rank)
? Company ? Battalion ? BCT 10th MTN DIV
FOB ?
APO AE ?????
B. Use only the Army Post Office (APO) address to send mail to your Platoon. Include postage on your letter, it will take about 10 days to get to Iraq and 3 - 4 days to get to some of the more remote sites. It takes the same amount of time to return a letter, so be patient.
C. Use PS Form 2976-A to send parcels. The form is furnished by the Post Office at the time of mailing. Endorse the Form " Gift for Military Personnel " to avoid customs duty/tax. You must also list all items included in the package and value. Send packages up to but not over 70 pounds. Remember packages will take more time to get delivered so watch how you package perishables. Don't send securities, currency, precious metals, firearms, alcoholic beverages, or illegal drugs.
D. Costs about $1 per pound to ship stuff to Afghanistan Flat-rate box costs $14.85 to ship regardless of weight (pack it full of feathers or full of rocks, it’s always $14.85!)

9. How will I know what to send? You will get a personnel matrix from your platoon leader which will have the names, birthdays, marital status, special interests (hobbies/computers/ sports/education/etc.) and favorite TV programs/magazines /books and authors/etc. Once your platoon gets in country, your platoon leader will send you a list of things they need like:
A. Books and magazines (please no inappropriate stuff)
B. Puzzle/ Word search/ Sudoku Books
C. Chap stick and/or lip balm
D. Sunscreen
E. Baby wipes
F. Hand sanitizer
G. Lotion
H. Travel sized toiletries
I. Snack food (Slim Jims, granola bars, Twizzlers, gum, powdered drink mix singles – but no liquids please, etc..)
J. Cards/writing paper/envelopes (not stamped)
K. Pens/ Pencils/ Paper (to give to local children)
L. Playing cards
M. Zip lock bags
N. Plastic containers with lids (to keep the sand out of things)
O. Disposable cameras
10. Is it OK to say no if I can’t afford to send something they ask for? Yes, if it is for a school or clinic let me know and I’ll try to get a Rotary, Lions or some other civic organization to help …
11. How will I know when my platoon returns? Your platoon leader should tell you 45 – 60 days out from the redeployment to stop sending packages. He/she should also tell you their return window. You should get an invitation to the Welcome Home Ceremony. If you don’t within a few weeks of the return window, let me know …
12. How can I find out when my platoon will return so I can attend the welcome home ceremony: Go to the Division web site at www.drum.army.mil, to the Welcome Home Ceremonies page for updates. You can also call the Emergency Operation Center at 772 6234 for the most updated information on the return of your unit.
13. Can I invite my platoon to a pizza party before they leave and once they come back? Yes, coordinate with your platoon leader. Some Soldier may not be able to attend so get a head count. It is OK to take pictures …

The Adopt a 10th Mountain Platoon Program is how one community helps to reduce the adverse impacts of deployments on Soldiers and their families. The community is in upstate New York and surrounds Fort Drum, the home of the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry). The 10th Mt Division like most Army units has not been at home a lot since Desert Storm. The Adopt a 10th Mt. Platoon Program since 1992 has ensured that every platoon that deployed from Fort Drum had a sponsor (business, school, church group, civic organization, etc.).
The platoon was targeted because it is the organizational level where you find the majority of our Soldiers. It is also the “point of the bayonet,” where things get done by the youngest men and women in America’s All Volunteer Army. The thought was that if the community could somehow show their appreciation and pride to these Soldiers, the Soldiers would feel better about what they were doing and be less concerned about being away from their friends and/or family members. A platoon has anywhere from 10 to 40 soldiers. The type (infantry, communications, medical, etc.) and size are considered when matching a sponsor with a platoon.
The program is meant to be low cost so it is affordable at the grass roots level. Some examples of what others have done: some sent news clippings or old magazines once a month, or video tapes of football games or the TV programs the platoon members were interested in, or games, or cookies, or even just an American flag. Several sponsors sent disposable cameras and the platoon leaders returned pictures of the platoon members and their activities. Some sponsors got schools involved and had a class write each platoon member or send each of them a birthday card or valentine. Others held a Christmas party for the family members and sent their platoon a videotape. It can be anything the sponsor wants, but the program works the best when they respond to the needs of their adopted platoon. Remember the majority of these soldiers are young men and women 18 - 24 who are mostly in the Army to learn job skills or to earn money towards a college degree. They should be treated the same as a sponsor would his/her son/daughter away at college or working their first job.

I would be interested in sending some things. I am down here in Tampa and could send package directly to the platoon. One thing I saw that you kind of touched on was inappropriate stuff; that means no Pron. This will only get them in trouble. Sunflower seeds and beef jerky was always my favorite. Let me know when you get addresses and I will send some things out. Thanks.

I'm a little stunned at the lack of interest. So much love given when we go to Fort Drum for preseason practice, and so many people who have proven to be charitable...but such a dismal response to something that combines the two? That really surprises me. In this day and age, a post asking that people consider helping to support the troops only has 3 likes after 74 hours, let alone the lack of response in general.

Not judging anyone, mind you. Just stating my surprise.

I would be interested in sending some things. I am down here in Tampa and could send package directly to the platoon. One thing I saw that you kind of touched on was inappropriate stuff; that means no . This will only get them in trouble. Sunflower seeds and beef jerky was always my favorite. Let me know when you get addresses and I will send some things out. Thanks.

Yea, lol no matter what they say, dont send booze!

I'll see if we can get some more interest, and I'll email Drum back.

I'm a little stunned at the lack of interest. So much love given when we go to Fort Drum for preseason practice, and so many people who have proven to be charitable...but such a dismal response to something that combines the two? That really surprises me. In this day and age, a post asking that people consider helping to support the troops only has 3 likes after 74 hours, let alone the lack of response in general.

Not judging anyone, mind you. Just stating my surprise.

Yea, I kinda saw this as an opportunity to introduce some soldiers to SU athletics. Get them interested in it while they are down range, and maybe put some seats in the stands when they get back. We talk about it all the time, I figured I'd get a little more action.

most items could be bought with a quick trip to a gas station.

Locals could toss in a game program, or newspaper clippings about the team ect

I also recommend we pin this if possible so other posters have a chance to offer interest even while the threads stack up in advance of and during the clemson game.

Im interested.. trying to understand how it works exactly but happy to send some items over.
from the information that the contact at Drum sent me, we would get a list of names, and their down range address.

I (or if anyone else wanted to take the lead on this) would give you a soldiers info, and boom, you could start sending packages. We arent talking about spending alot of money, like I said, most items can be found at most gas stations. and the post office sends these out pretty cheap. I think the FAQ says you only pay shipping to NYC? Once a month would be ideal.

I'm interested. Would we be doing it as a Syracusefan group and then be assigned one soldier each from the platoon?

I'm interested. Would we be doing it as a Syracusefan group and then be assigned one soldier each from the platoon?

Thats the plan, (as long as any of the founders of syracusefan dont mind)

admins - do you think this is pinnable ? I think it is a great effort on CT's part and would be great to give the opportunity to folks to take part if they wish.

Thats the plan, (as long as any of the founders of syracusefan dont mind)

Don't see a reason they would. We're supporting the troops, not a war. I for one think giving back is a good thing.

Don't see a reason they would. We're supporting the troops, not a war. I for one think giving back is a good thing.

I could totally see Edowd starting the "syracusefan.com raid on canada"

For everyone that has "liked" my post, thats cool and all but if you are interested in this, please tell me so, either by PM or here in this thread

sent an email back to him telling him I had enough interest. I think between what we have now, and the stragglers that will want to join over the next few days we should be good for a small platoon. I'll let you guys know when I hear more!

Gotta be a few more people out there interested! lemme know!

Just seeing this tonight for the first time. Count me in.

I can't head this..but I suggest we have a collection of items at the Fine Mess Tailgate...we'll ask for cash donations to pay for the shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom