Fort Drum Adopt a Platoon Program | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fort Drum Adopt a Platoon Program

Tomorrow is the last chance to donate items or $$$ for the SyrFan Adopt A Platoon program. I'll be setting up the donation station around 2 tomorrow. Look for a table draped with a 10th Mountain Division "Climb to Glory' flag--it'll be set up at the back of the tailgate near the tree line. Thanks for your support!

We have a unit everyone! A platoon from the 511th MP company!. More information to follow!

Keep us posted, Troop. Thanks. And a big thanks to Northacuse for his efforts too. And to anyone else I may have missed.

PeteCalvin said:
Keep us posted, Troop. Thanks. And a big thanks to Northacuse for his efforts too. And to anyone else I may have missed.
Will do. I sent the LT back an email asking for some info on our soldiers last week. Still waiting for a response.

Pretty pumped, these soldiers are in for a treat

I got the $$$ and the goods. Just waiting for orders from on high! (Fairbanks, that is.)

Another small update. We have been assigned the 3rd Platoon 511th MP Co. I have their Platoon SGT's name, but still waiting on contact info. I'm assuming our platoon will have 30-40 troops. As soon as I get a roster, I will assign each interested poster.

Once I get a solid roster, I will be asking for posters to re verify that they are interested in participating!

Awesome, man! Hopefully we can get some info soon, I'm sure northacuse would love to have his garage back!

Ha! All supplies in one storage bin and one shelf in basement storage. Money in a drawer. Room for a lot more stuff. CuseTroop doing all the hard work in coordinating with the platoon contact person. I will answer to his beck and call!

UPDATE:

Our platoon is currently enroute to the combat zone. They should be at their final destination in another 30 days. Once they are boots on ground their Platoon Leader will contact me with the Army Post Office Address (APO) and we can begin our support.

Their Company XO had promised me some soldier information, and some other info about the unit, but with everything going on pre deployment, I can understand how it could fall through the cracks.

As soon as I get any new information, I will let you guys know.

UPDATE:

Our platoon is currently enroute to the combat zone. They should be at their final destination in another 30 days. Once they are boots on ground their Platoon Leader will contact me with the Army Post Office Address (APO) and we can begin our support.

Their Company XO had promised me some soldier information, and some other info about the unit, but with everything going on pre deployment, I can understand how it could fall through the cracks.

As soon as I get any new information, I will let you guys know.
If anything falls through with the Ft Drum guys...my son is a Company Commander over in Korea...his unit has lots of young soldiers that can use things.

TexanMark said:
If anything falls through with the Ft Drum guys...my son is a Company Commander over in Korea...his unit has lots of young soldiers that can use things.

I'll for sure let you know... I figured this program would be a little more set up than what it is... Little to no help from drum. I also have the POC for a chaplain over in Afghanistan for another back up plan.

I figure I'll give this MP unit 45 days to get ahold of me, if not, we will assist another unit.

Heyyy everyone.

So the month is up, and I still haven't heard anything from our original unit. This whole process with them has been a little weird. I feel like the adopt a platoon POC should have put us in touch with our deploying unit a little earlier in the game. By time we actually got a unit, and a POC there, they were gearing up to deploy and had other things on their minds. It's understandable, and I am still hoping to hear from them as they get settled in.

So in the mean time. I got in touch with the Chaplain for the 1-32 Infantry. They are part of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team out of Fort Drum. His guys will be deployed until around August.

I've spoken with northacuse and we are going to send what he has collected from the tailgates, and the Chaplain will distribute them out.

CH (CPT) Foerster is also going to get us the names of a few soldiers that don't receive packages from home. We are going to support those soldiers. I know originally we were talking about adopting a whole unit, so this kind of changes things. Once we get the names of the soldiers, I will put a list together. This should require everyone who is interested to send out one box.

I asked the CH for a list of items that the soldiers could use, here is his response:
"Some of the necessities that we need are decent razors and shaving cream, but if you are looking for something special... some PS3 games, Athletic shorts and t-shirts (so guys can where something other than PT shorts to the gym. Most guys are size Medium or Large), also some new movies on DVD to watch in their down time.
One other thing that the guys could use is Itunes gift cards as most have access to Wifi and then would be able to buy some music."

Does anyone know anybody at holyshirt? It would be cool to be able to work a deal and send over some SU gear for them to work out in.. These guys are in uniform 24/7. They dont get to walk around in jeans, or a cool polo shirt. Being able to wear civilians in the gym, getting out of uniform, feels pretty good. Plus, Army PT shorts suck.

I have money in my paypal account that a few posters have donated to. My plan right now is to use that to buy the Itunes gift cards.

I also have some PS3 games that I don't use anymore that I will mail.

I'm pretty excited for this to be falling into place. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Once I get the list of names, I will start seeing who is still interested in helping out, and we will go from there.

Go Cuse!

First two priority mail sent off to Ft. Drum troops in Afghanistan--items that were collected during this past season's tailgates. Thank you to all who donated!

Another call for someone who may have a contact at Holy Shirt: the chaplain that CuseTroop has been in contact with told him the troops really enjoy changing into t-shirts and athletic shorts when they can--and not the government-issue stuff. I'm sure they would go ga-ga over something nice and colorful... you know... like maybe something ORANGE (hint, hint). Seriously, what better way to brighten things up for them as well as to give them the opportunity of displaying what intelligent fans they are than by giving them the opportunity to wear some SU gear. I have cash that was collected during the tailgates for this purpose, but would appreciate any suggestions as to how to get the most bang from your bucks, hopefully to get some SU gear at a discount. Not for us but for those who are covering our collective asses.

PM me or CuseTroop or go ahead and post it here. Thanks.

Alright folks!

I know we are all a little busy with this little basketball tourny thing we have going on, and I'll give this a few days to gain speed.

WE HAVE RECEIVED THE NAMES OF 4 HIGH SPEED WARRIORS WHO COULD USE A LITTLE LOVE FROM THE GOOD FOLKS FROM SYRACUSEFAN.COM!

This is going to be a little different from myself and northacuse sending packages to the Chaplain for him to disperse, this will be one on one with the soldier. What I would like to happen, is to create a schedule and have each poster send a soldier a box, at their scheduled time.

Check out the list on page one of acceptable items, and if you want, think of your own items!

I'm a little busy at work today, and knowing we may have posters who are in buffalo, We might not get a schedule up until Monday.

If you're still interested, lemme know and I'll get you into the spreadsheet. Also, at some point I'll PM everyone who replyed to this thread with interest, so we dont miss anyone.

Its game time, kids. Lets take care of these guys!

You are now, brotha. I'm making the list as people reply to my last post.

Monday I'll PM everyone else that showed interest, but might have missed the last post on this.

HOOAH!

Hey!

After months of trying to get everything together, we finally got the names of 4, possibly 5 soldiers deployed to Afghanistan that we can take care of. These soldiers are all originally stationed at Fort Drum, and will all be returning home sometime around September. You had previously expressed interest in helping out. If you can no longer help out, that is totally fine, but if you can, here is what we are trying to do:

Once we get a solid list of posters who would like to help, we will put out a schedule. The plan is for everyone to send one box, at their specified time. It should work out that each soldier will receive a box from someone, at least once a month. For ideas of what to put in your box, please see page one of the adopt a platoon thread on the football board. Or, feel free to ask myself or northacuse.

We still have some money, and some items that we have gathered from last seasons tailgates, and donations from the board. Northacuse and I are trying to come up with ideas on how to best use everything. Any ideas you may have are more than welcome.

Please give me a heads up if you are interested, and I'll add you to the list!

Have a good weekend, and Go Orange.

-Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom