Fran Brown | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some old washed up actor

Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

Stop it. Just stop it.

The dude has been with Kirby at Georgia.

We don't have anybody that has had that kind of proximity to what the pinnacle of success is in college football today.

He knows what running a P5 program looks like.

If he'd already shown he can do it, he wouldn't be a candidate for us.
This. Yes, he hasn't been there long but being around a championship program is a big plus.

I was bummed after the Mullen news but the more I read about Brown, the more I like.

I’d rather Brown than a retread in Golden. This is a high risk, high reward move. I kind of put Chesney in the same bucket. And I’m OK with either.

I don't like some of the veteran retread names that have popped up either and wanted to get an OC / DC / assistant with ties to elite schools as well.

That said, how is Fran Brown anywhere near as proven as a guy like Will Stein who has Oregon lighting it up every week and he also had UTSA as one of the top offenses as well. Brown is a freaking DBs coach compared to Will Stein who has been actually running offenses. The parallels of Brown to Mo Linguist are too similar.. Linguist was a DBs coach who was considered a top recruiter too and he sucks as a head coach. Whatever I guess.

In February of this year. Matt Rhule spoke to a Georgia reporter about Brown.
‘As I get older, guys who coached for me now go on, like Fran (Brown) was a graduate assistant then a position coach and now he’s really one of the top assistants in the country and should be a head coach and will be a head coach,” .

I disagree. I think Xs/O's first. Look at all those SEC schools that get great recruiting classes and dont win anything. Find a coach who wins, the kids will follow. That is the sustainable approach.

We haven't had a dependable offensive line since Marrone. We need a guy who can teach people who to block and tackle. We do also need recruiting, but we need fundamentals.

This. Yes, he hasn't been there long but being around a championship program is a big plus.
Like, think back to what Villari said about team culture and discipline, and the difference he saw at Michigan.

Brown has learned some critical lessons along Georgia's path to championships about culture and discipline, I suspect.

It's nothing at all against Beck. But with Fran's lack of experience, we need as much experience as possible with the X's and O's. I don't know if Beck is that guy.

Also, why would Dino be holding him back on play calling? That's a weird narrative I've seen that doesn't make a ton of sense for a guy like Dino that was trying to save his job.
I'm not saying he did or didn't hold him back, just that if he did, he probably thought he was helping.

You still skipped the most important part of what I posted.
None of your nonsense was important. This hire will suck, I really don't see it going well. And the idea we reboot a few years down the road is terrible, when a coach guts the team. Love or hate Dino, were better today than we were in 2015.

He’s spent the last two seasons with Kirby watching how Georgia runs things.

He’s been an Assistant Head Coach at Baylor and recruited really well.

He recruited really well to Temple and Rutgers of all places.

This is a far more Ballsy hiring than I ever thought they’d make. Is it a result of missed other targets? I don’t know.

What I do know is Brown significantly upgrades our ability in the portal due to all these kids who are entering that he’s built relationships with over the last 2-3 years.

He needs a quality OC and DC and needs to stay out of their way. Act as a CEO.

This could absolutely be a home run.

Of course the earth could blow up tomorrow.

We don’t know but I love the gamble.
What good players did he recruit to Temple, RU and Baylor? Are any in the NFL? The records of those teams in his brief stints as DC or Co-DC are mediocre.

With a reputation as a top-notch recruiter, Swinney was chosen over Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning (former head coach of Wyoming), and associate head coach Brad Scott (former head coach of South Carolina).[31]

Despite his recruiting reputation, Swinney was an unpopular hire among some Clemson fans. Some fans and pundits noted that he had never been more than a position coach.
We are comparing a factory to a program that everyone has admitted relies on developing talent. Unfortunately, Fran Brown won’t have the luxury of guys like Hopkins, Higgins, Lawrence, Ettinne, Xavier Thomas, Simmons, that entire DL that is starting in the NFL their 2018 championship year, etc, etc, etc. I just don’t think it’s comparable. I would prefer an X’s and O’s HC who could game plan and win with less like a Marrone type.

None of your nonsense was important. This hire will suck, I really don't see it going well. And the idea we reboot a few years down the road is terrible, when a coach guts the team. Love or hate Dino, were better today than we were in 2015.
You still skipped the most important part of my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom