Fran Brown | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assistant HC to Rhule is pretty good experience. Being on staff at Georgia while winning 2 nattys is pretty good too. It's enough, IMO
he was part of two NC’s but was not the HC nor AHC, nor DC or OC, he was DB coach

The biggest thing we lack is talent and depth. Fran would address a lot of those issues quickly. Would he be a great in game coach? Who knows? But what are we comparing him to? Kirby? Or Babers?
We lack talent and depth, but if we get that and can't coach it we'll be in the same place we've been. If we can get an ace recruiter in a HC and he can surround himself with good coordinators and position coaches and he can be ready to replace them on a regular basis when the move on, that would be the ideal. Does Brown bring that? Beats me. Sounds like we could do worse, but if I'm honest, I'm pessimistic we ever find someone that can cover all the bases we need.

So Chesney. Brown, Coen and Candle I am pretty sure were all names initially put out there early process along with Golden, White and Lewis. If you use a firm, I gotta believe they are tee'ing up some new names to be vetted. I am sure some will decline. Gotta believe there is a chance another name or two is also in the mix here that is not public. It will be interesting to see if a new name bubbles up.

Never been a HC, it would be a total crap shoot. Could work out great but certainly not a proven HC. Totally different role and responsibility than being a DB coach and recruiter. JW is on the clock, he has had it easy between JB and Babers, both of these coaching decisions will define his career and legacy, IMO.

Also a recruiter is the good cop. When you are HC you can no longer be the good cop. I think that was one of Dino's issues.

"I def know what's going to happen 100% and also I don't really know these candidates all that well" is not a good look. Can we say there's more risk with Chesney or Brown and leave it at that?

So Chesney. Brown, Coen and Candle I am pretty sure were all names initially put out there early process along with Golden, White and Lewis. If you use a firm, I gotta believe they are tee'ing up some new names to be vetted. I am sure some will decline. Gotta believe there is a chance another name or two is also in the mix here that is not public. It will be interesting to see if a new name bubbles up.
Unless he made it clear from the jump he was not interested, I don't know why Diaz name has never been mentioned.

True I just don’t get the DB coach to head coach jump.

It's definitely a major jump and a major gamble. But the thought process maybe if this dude is a home run your probably set up for the next 5-10 years because your gonna get paid in a biyout when PSU or someone eventually comes calling and offers the world. Still a major gamble no doubt.

Unless he made it clear from the jump he was not interested, I don't know why Diaz name has never been mentioned.

Manny Diaz? Assuming you mean him, he's not far enough removed from his issues at Miami. Although at this point its starting to look like Miami itself is the problem.

Never been a HC, it would be a total crap shoot. Could work out great but certainly not a proven HC. Totally different role and responsibility than being a DB coach and recruiter. JW is on the clock, he has had it easy between JB and Babers, both of these coaching decisions will define his career and legacy, IMO.
Eh, lots of guys aren't HC before becoming HC. There's risk in hiring them yes, but retreads have risk too. I don't think JW in unaware of these things or the importance of this particular hire. You get to his spot and you make the best choice you can.

Have no clue if this is legit….

Stop giving this clown clicks.

True I just don’t get the DB coach to head coach jump.

Ever heard of PJ Fleck. He jumped from WR coach to HC and has been pretty successful.
Even one of the best coaches of all time, Andy Reid. He was a position coach before being a HC.

I am getting the sense that outside of recruiting, there is not a lot known about him. If he does get an interview, the search committee knows/sees things that make him HC material

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors