Fran Brown | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lack talent and depth, but if we get that and can't coach it we'll be in the same place we've been. If we can get an ace recruiter in a HC and he can surround himself with good coordinators and position coaches and he can be ready to replace them on a regular basis when the move on, that would be the ideal. Does Brown bring that? Beats me. Sounds like we could do worse, but if I'm honest, I'm pessimistic we ever find someone that can cover all the bases we need.
I agree with you but we are never going to be able to out coach or scheme the talent/depth differential….we have to start there and build a game ready staff. This guy has stood next to Kirby Smart on the sidelines and team meetings…I’m sure he has a plan. But football is moving to younger, unproven analytics driven player friendly coaches. The days of Bill Belicheck are dead

If we’re going with a lottery ticket I’d much rather have Chesney. I would hate every last thing about this hire.

He hasn't recruited FBS talent let alone P5 talent before. Chesney would be a total flyer in that regard and we can't afford to get this wrong.

Thanks but no thanks.

I meant that he was a good cop as in a player's coach and not a disciplinarian.
There are plenty of HC that are great recruiters that have teams that aren't undisciplined like Babers squads were. I don't think the two are correlated as strongly as you are assuming

I agree with you but we are never going to be able to out coach or scheme the talent/depth differential….we have to start there and build a game ready staff. This guy has stood next to Kirby Smart on the sidelines and team meetings…I’m sure he has a plan. But football is moving to younger, unproven analytics driven player friendly coaches. The days of Bill Belicheck are dead
Chesney?

And I'm sure this will hit some the wrong way, but coaches who look like Fran Brown often get overlooked for opportunities to advance their careers. We don't roll that way and maybe that's an advantage?
I was thinking the same thing when folks started asking why he wasn't given certain opportunities.

He hasn't recruited FBS talent let alone P5 talent before. Chesney would be a total flyer in that regard and we can't afford to get this wrong.

Thanks but no thanks.
So let’s go with Fran Brown who’s never even been a coordinator on his own? If we want to play it safe there’s 2 real options and they’re Al Golden or Jason Candle.

Georgia is 12th in the country in pass yards against/game. But they have the best talent. But who recruits that talent?

How much recruiting are HC’s doing. This would be an absolutely terrible hire that goes against most of what Wildhack said he is looking for at Cuse. Not to mention 12/4 is creeping here ever so quickly. If this is the hire this makes me think we either missed out on our top 4-5 guys or we couldn’t come up with the requirements for one. So many questions. Why wasn’t he named DC at Rutgers? Just because he can recruit doesn’t mean he can manage a team.

Georgia is 12th in the country in pass yards against/game. But they have the best talent. But who recruits that talent?
They were right around there the year before he got there as well. The previous DB coach (also known for recruiting if I remember correctly???) went to be the DB/recruiter at Miami

Last edited:
I am getting the sense that outside of recruiting, there is not a lot known about him. Obviously the search committee knows enough to at least interview him though
How do we know whom SU has or hasn't interviewed?

So we are going to question talent on the defensive side of the ball with the guys they are putting in the NFL specifically on defense in just the last two seasons? Ok ... not the hill I would die on.

I'm running out of popcorn...
South Park Popcorn GIF

Ever heard of PJ Fleck. He jumped from WR coach to HC and has been pretty successful.
Even one of the best coaches of all time, Andy Reid. He was a position coach before being a HC.

Not to a P5 job though

And his offensive chops were really Sean Lewis. I mean good on him for hiring a good OC and being a decent guy.

Have you relocated to one of the northbound exits on 81? Need me to drop off some Taco Bell and bourbon?

How do we know whom SU has or hasn't interviewed?
Sorry, not saying he was interviewed or wasn’t. Was more saying it as if they interview him, then there are likely things that must’ve been appealing/make it look like he is HC material beyond what we can see

I’ll fix my statement

... So many questions. Why wasn’t he named DC at Rutgers? Just because he can recruit doesn’t mean he can manage a team.
And ADJW has hired a search group and has apparently interviewed Brown to answer those many questions. If after the process plays out and JW picks Brown, then that would mean that Brown answered those questions to his satisfaction.

But after the whole Dan Mullen thing, I've decided to just take a wait and see approach on this hire - too many unknowns, lots of fluidity it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom