Fran Brown | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
You completely missed the point. The difference between the 6th most talented ACC team and the 12th most talented ACC team will be minimal. When the talent is on par, coaching matters. We aren't going to have a talent advantage, so then what?

To think we can have elite talent at SU is laughable. If that is the thought process here, we have idiots running our FB program. We are not ever going to have Clemson or FSU talent.

there was a time, not all that long ago, that Clemson didn’t have Clemson talent either.

you have to start somewhere, and as a person who coaches (again not d1 football) I’d rather find a way to stockpile as much talent as I can, and rely on strong X and O coaches on the roster to help develop those kids.

you are right, we have to have Xs and Os guys here too. If all you can do is recruit, you are no better than an elite Xs and Os coach who cant bring in more than the occasional 3 star athlete.

but if Brown is truly as elite a recruiter as he’s touted, and is capable of being a head man in charge of the show, I’m happy to accept an Xs and Os weakness that needs to be developed over time, and supplemented with a strong staff.

if the alternatives are guys we don’t think can recruit any better than Dino, we won’t be winning much with them anyways, even if their on field coaching talents are a step up from Dino.

You're thinking like it's 2015. Have you seen how many dudes just entered the Portal today? We're in a free agency scenario here - high school recruiting is way way less important than ever.
I think it's extremely important.

Position yourself for the second chance.

He’s been a great recruiter everywhere h

We are comparing a factory to a program that everyone has admitted relies on developing talent. Unfortunately, Fran Brown won’t have the luxury of guys like Hopkins, Higgins, Lawrence, Ettinne, Xavier Thomas, Simmons, that entire DL that is starting in the NFL their 2018 championship year, etc, etc, etc. I just don’t think it’s comparable. I would prefer an X’s and O’s HC who could game plan and win with less like a Marrone type.
If he retains OG, Alford,
We are comparing a factory to a program that everyone has admitted relies on developing talent. Unfortunately, Fran Brown won’t have the luxury of guys like Hopkins, Higgins, Lawrence, Ettinne, Xavier Thomas, Simmons, that entire DL that is starting in the NFL their 2018 championship year, etc, etc, etc. I just don’t think it’s comparable. I would prefer an X’s and O’s HC who could game plan and win with less like a Marrone type.
if he is the guy and retains, OG, Alford, Peña, other WR’s, Villari, Allen, Cinco, LB’s and lines, adds some talent and a stud QB we have a solid base of talent to start with. Is it GA maybe not, but could/ should be top 25

It’s so wild to me that posters on here are seemingly demeaning Fran Brown’s ability to recruit… like that doesn’t matter for Syracuse football. Really? The risk is we don’t know what is X & O’s/running a program abilities are… what if he’s great at it? You add that, WITH his recruiting chops & it’s an exciting risk to get behind. Syracuse needs to do something different than we have for 20+ years… this is something different & out of the box from my perspective.

In all fairness its the same three posters who keep b$tching about it/him. Most are cautiously optimistic or see the rationale behind the potential hire.

It’s so wild to me that posters on here are seemingly demeaning Fran Brown’s ability to recruit… like that doesn’t matter for Syracuse football. Really? The risk is we don’t know what is X & O’s/running a program abilities are… what if he’s great at it? You add that, WITH his recruiting chops & it’s an exciting risk to get behind. Syracuse needs to do something different than we have for 20+ years… this is something different & out of the box from my perspective.

Nobody is demeaning his ability to recruit. Not one person.

There’s a big leap from a great recruiter to HC.

Nobody is demeaning his ability to recruit. Not one person.

There’s a big leap from a great recruiter to HC.
People are suggesting he can’t recruit here because he’s been successful at UGA without doing the research that he was a top recruiter at Temple, Rutgers and Baylor. There have been a number of posts like that.

In all fairness it’s the same three posters who keep b$tching about it/him. Most are cautiously optimistic or see the rationale behind the potential hire.
Yet the majority of you who are all hyped up on the Fran rebound were pouting all day about the potential of landing a proven winner and program builder in chesney

You're really making the argument that programs can't improve through the portal.

That's a take, I guess.

Drastically improve is what I am questioning. Everyone is trying the same thing with the portal. There is no reason for SU to dominate the portal over every other mid level program. Just like there is no reason for SU to dominate HS recruiting over the other mid level programs.

Yes, we can improve our team but it won't be enough to be a Top 5 ACC team the next 2-3 years. We need to coach up middle of the pack ACC talent. If we cannot, the luster will be off our shiny new HC and recruiting will become much harder.

If Brown can make it through the initial storm, then things can take off. But since he is learning on the job, those prospects do not seem very good.

People are suggesting he can’t recruit here because he’s been successful at UGA without doing the research that he was a top recruiter at Temple, Rutgers and Baylor. There have been a number of posts like that.
No. He will be able to recruit here but being a top recruiter shouldn’t qualify you for a head coaching P5 position. Coordinator sure

Out of the three supposed finalist i think we should swing for the fences. Go with Brown. None of the other guys have any skill that is special. Brown does. He is regarded as an elite recruiter and has been every place he has ever been. From NJ to Texas he has recruited well. His base is our base. He will bring a ton of energy and if we can spend the money saved by hiring a young up and coming guy on a great staff watch out.
The other guys are vanilla. We dont need vanilla. We need Dan Friggin M but didnt land him so now its time for a big swing. I like it as the one thing this guy is good at is the one thing we have sucked at.
Go big or go home. No Hill for a climber. Go Orange!

Typically when Cuse hires a new position coach or coordinator I like going to those schools message boards and you get a pretty good feel of how that coach will pan out here. If they are pissed he’s leaving or disappointed, wish he wouldn’t leave…you know you have a good one. If they are okay with him leaving and happy he is leaving you know something is up. For example when Anae and Beck came here Virginia fans knew it was a big loss for them. Both were pretty good for us while they were here (well one season for Anae). When Tony White came here there was some high praise for him on the message boards at his previous school.

For Fran, UGA fans know he’s a good coach and recruiter. Saying he’s a standout on a standout coaching staff. He developed some players that weren’t thought highly of as recruits (which I liked to see), he builds great relationships with players, etc…the Rutgers board even likes the hire and it makes them nervous. A couple posts talking about how they are jealous and it’s an out of the box hire they like. They talk about how he recruited well at Rutgers and Temple both not easy places to recruit. They also know he’s going to kill it in NJ and they are nervous for Rutgers because they know Fran will get the guys from NJ he wants. I can’t understate this enough, Fran Brown, Nunzio and Thomas on a staff together is going to absolutely CRUSH it in NJ. Fran has amazing connections there, I’m sure he’ll bring even more NJ guys on staff. I don’t think people realize just how good the talent is in NJ and how much this is about to unlock and I think you are going to see that pretty immediately. Overall it’s good to see high praise from multiple message boards from multiple schools. It’s how’s Fran was good at his job and well liked. It’s obviously not the end all, be all especially in a situation like this where he has never been a HC before but you get a good pulse on what to expect and how things could shake out. The more research I do on this guy, the more I understand it and would advocate for this hire. This is a high risk/high reward but that reward can be a hell of a reward

It shouldn’t be hard to recruit for any of those schools. $$

And yet it is, because you’re competing against all of those schools

This argument (not made exclusively by you) stinks so much. “I could recruit at Georgia!” No you absolutely could not. You’re not recruiting just for Georgia, you’re recruiting against Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, USC, etc.

Are those caliber players coming here? Of course I’m doubtful of that. However I, a Syracuse fan, am not going to act like he isn’t a good recruiter because he’s at Georgia. How TF do you think he got there?

Look I’m sorry this just isn’t an impressive resume for a power 5 head coaching position. Career DB coach/recruiter. This would be like if we fired Dino and made Nick Monroe our HC

Attachments

• IMG_8505.jpeg
    IMG_8505.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 39
Look I’m sorry this just isn’t an impressive resume for a power 5 head coaching position. Career DB coach/recruiter. This would be like if we fired Dino and made Nick Monroe our HC

Guys, stop comparing Fran Brown with Swag Daddy. Monroe was our best recruiter, but not in the same league as a Fran Brown who is literally the best recruiter in the country.

Yet the majority of you who are all hyped up on the Fran rebound were pouting all day about the potential of landing a proven winner and program builder in chesney

Ya that totally happened, feel free to go ahead and link those posts. Just like the other guy from today who made stuff up you won't be able to.

Secondly I don't see a ton of people HYPED over the hire, not may guys here overjoyed by the potential hire but please feel free to add in more made up stuff.

That’s different than demeaning his ability to recruit. Those posters are questioning his ability to recruit better than we’re used to. Which is a fair question. I think he will, just FYI.

Apparently HCFB agent only represents two positional coaches. Lebby & Brown.

It’s very likely he was going to be a head coach sooner rather than later. Perhaps for those on the inside it’s not a surprise at all. He does have the best upside out of the other 2 underwhelming candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom