Fran Brown | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, stop comparing Fran Brown with Swag Daddy. Monroe was our best recruiter, but not in the same league as a Fran Brown who is literally the best recruiter in the country.

To be fair to Swag Daddy he didn't have the big bags at Syracuse that Georgia has.

Ya that totally happened, feel free to go ahead and link those posts. Just like the other guy from today who made stuff up you won't be able to.

Secondly I don't see a ton of people HYPED over the hire, not may guys here overjoyed by the potential hire but please feel free to add in more made up stuff.
Go read the Mullen thread and Twitter today and report back to me. It was a colossal meltdown

I agree that Fran is an excellent recruiter-I've just seen it too many times where guys with these profiles (Stan Drayton is one, but there are many others) don't pan out. The coordinator hires will be huge. Either way, I'll be shocked if he lasts here more than 3 years. I am not optimistic he will do well, it's a big jump, but think if he does do well, he'll be out of here quickly, anyway (with his best players and recruits following him out the door). I want a guy who can identify and develop talent and have a disciplined, exciting team on Saturdays. Think there were many guys out there in that category. A guy like Willie Fritz could have been our Lance Leipold. I have praised Sean Lewis above, as someone who checks every box. Even a guy like Tony White would be a good compromise between Chesney and Brown, as you know we'll have a good Defense with him and is also a very good recruiter (though not as elite as Brown). I will be happy to be wrong.

Last edited:
Go read the Mullen thread and Twitter today and report back to me. It was a colossal meltdown

I've been reading it all day and that's not what you said in your post at all. Go back and read what you posted and where I said what you posted.

Guy, he was literally a known quantity at Temple and Rutgers. There's a reason that UGA hired him from a program like Rutgers. Go to a UGA or Rutgers message board and ask about Fran Brown.

He wasn't the #1 recruiter in the nation at Temple and Rutgers. He was good recruiter just like Monroe at those spots. When he went to Georgia and then the NIL happened he was now considered the #1 recruiter in the nation. He wont have that at Syracuse so it is back to the Temple and Rutgers.

Guys, stop comparing Fran Brown with Swag Daddy. Monroe was our best recruiter, but not in the same league as a Fran Brown who is literally the best recruiter in the country.
Tough to not be a great recruiter when you are coaching at Georgia... This is an incredibly bizarre hire if this is who Wildhack decides to go with. But I will ride with Brown and be optimistic that he proves us all wrong.

Ya know what Mullen feels like? Tom Crean going to Georgia. As much as we’d all want him to replicate his highs at Cuse, he’s really just older, a ton richer and potentially not as motivated to grind (the latter was already his rep!).

So remove him and every option has a big downside. You have to pick something to prioritize so you go with the one you think can bring the most talent. As others say, high reward… but not really a much bigger risk than the others. I’m excited for Fran. Safer choices have much lower ceilings.

He wasn't the #1 recruiter in the nation at Temple and Rutgers. He was good recruiter just like Monroe at those spots. When he went to Georgia and then the NIL happened he was now considered the #1 recruiter in the nation. He wont have that at Syracuse so it is back to the Temple and Rutgers.

I'm not going to argue with you. From your posting it's doubtful you knew Fran Brown's name until today. There is a world of difference between Fran Brown and Nick Monroe. A world.

Tough to not be a great recruiter when you are coaching at Georgia... This is an incredibly bizarre hire if this is who Wildhack decides to go with. But I will ride with Brown and be optimistic that he proves us all wrong.
But what about when he did it at temple or Rutgers or in Waco? Odd that people aren’t connecting with that angle

But logically they had to have hired him for a reason. He would have had to have been a good recruiter before being hired.

This exactly. I tend to fall on the side that "Swag Daddy" was . . . mediocre at best. Fran Brown is clearly a better recruiter, but he's not going to win Recruiter of the Year at Syracuse.

I am not overly excited about this hire but yes recruiting to UGA is easy but getting the job there under Kirby is absolutely not. There is a reason they went with him from Rutgers of all places.

Vanderbilt is awful and Locksley is going to his 3rd straight bowl after winning 2 in a row

What point are you even making here

The first - Chesney = Vanderbilt - means I think of that as a lack of ambition, often shown by academically oriented schools who don't compete at the top level of their prestige conferences. Like Duke or Northwestern in football for so many years, or Vanderbilt, the "Harvard of the South".

Mike Locksley was a coach that has not had a lot of success over his career. You point out that he has brought Maryland to 3 bowls, well, still his career record as a head coach is 30-59. He has won about a THIRD of all his games.

Neither would be a considered a "sure thing" if we ever hope to be Syracuse of the '80s and '90s again.

Mullen was as close to a sure thing hire as we could have hoped for. The only thing I can figure is the total amount of spend is beyond our means, or some of the key boosters had other favorites.

If it's not Chesney, well, he's supposed to be young, charismatic and relatable. Surely, we would have provided him a big raise and greater facilities than he's ever had access to. But something didn't fit there.

So, Sean Lewis, an actual former SU coordinator and his own head coach in the MAC, is not a candidate. OK. Neither is Tony White, apparently, OK. Maybe they think the challenge here is too hard, even if it provided them with a bigger level opportunity than either has had before. They have both coached here.

Candle, the MAC head coach, is apparently 2nd choice to a DB coach from NJ who has had a cup off coffee at the National Champions. That's like, Saban's staff at Alabama; it seems like everyone has been on it at one time or another.

If you look at it in that light, that's just not a good look, if that's the best we can do,

I'm not going to argue with you. From your posting it's doubtful you knew Fran Brown's name until today. There is a world of difference between Fran Brown and Nick Monroe. A world.

I didn't know who Fran Brown name was today? LOL As if a Syracuse fan wouldn't know the coaches at Rutgers? You have it all figured it... Good job.

This exactly. I tend to fall on the side that "Swag Daddy" was . . . mediocre at best. Fran Brown is clearly a better recruiter, but he's not going to win Recruiter of the Year at Syracuse.
I'm only saying this because we all need to understand what this is and adjust our expectations accordingly. No 5* recruits are ever going to come here again. MAYBE one or two 4* recruits will come a year. That's our effective ceiling, and Fran Brown isn't going to change that.

Oh I agree Brown is a better recruiter than Monroe. I was more comparing the situation. Of course, a good recruiter is going to be great at Georgia. Look at the list of Bees posted and look at the teams of the recruiters. Strange all the best recruiters are from the teams with the biggest bags? I am sure not a coincidence at all.

In all fairness its the same three posters who keep b$tching about it/him. Most are cautiously optimistic or see the rationale behind the potential hire.

Because he's going to be good at the portal?
I guess this is the new "money ball", but I thought coaching ability was more of a factor than some of you do.

In basketball, talent makes a bigger difference because just a couple guys can change a whole team. In football, it takes too many guys, like 50 good ones, to have a decent team. That's expensive.

For all the lazy “anyone can recruit at Georgia” you’re still going up against the Bama, Ohio State, LSUs, etc.

Who knows if it’ll work but it’s refreshing to see us take a risk and swing for the fences. For where we stand as a program it’s our best bet at making a leap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom