Fran Brown | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
We hired an ace recruiter #1 in the nation. I can't wait until we have the #1 recruiting class in the nation. I mean he is the best recruiter in the nation it sure doesn't have anything to do with the bag Georgia has and they fact they are winning titles right? Can't wait for these 5 star kids to start raining in. So much fun it is going to be. We are going to be a factory now and recruit just like them we have the #1 recruiter in the nation.

Nor did he at Temple or Rutgers. He's been a big deal in the CFB world for like 5 or 6 years. There's a reason that a program like UGA hired him.
But there is a difference hiring him as a DB coach vs head coach. The natural next step for Brown would be a DC at P4 school or head coach at lower level FBS. This is a bit of a bigger jump. It’s not that it hasn’t been done before, it’s just that it’s a much higher risk hire.

I compare this to the Steelers hiring Mike Tomlin. He was a lifelong DB coach with one year as DC before the Steelers hired him to replace Cowher. Brown’s demeanor kind of reminds me of Tomlin. Maybe it will work out.

Guy, he was literally a known quantity at Temple and Rutgers. There's a reason that UGA hired him from a program like Rutgers. Go to a UGA or Rutgers message board and ask about Fran Brown.

Yes, and that's great, and maybe he can reconnect with a bunch of former players he recruited and bring them in via the portal. Even if he does all that, can he coach, as in run a program, not teach DBs hand skills and how to close on receivers. Not everybody can do that, and we need that as a core competency, in my opinion. Knowing how to run a program is not a "nice to have", it's an essential skill.

Because he's going to be good at the portal?
I guess this is the new "money ball", but I thought coaching ability was more of a factor than some of you do.

In basketball, talent makes a bigger difference because just a couple guys can change a whole team. In football, it takes too many guys, like 50 good ones, to have a decent team. That's expensive.

You need a HC who can recruit and handle the X's and O's, no one knows if Brown can do the latter but clearly he can clearly recruit. The guy hasn't even been hired and small group of people are acting like SU just hired Monroe or something. Why not let it play out and see what happens.

But logically they had to have hired him for a reason. He would have had to have been a good recruiter before being hired.
Yeah I just think recruiting at UGA and Syracuse are two completely different ball games and not even comparable. I am sure he can recruit but money talks at the end of the day and players will go where they can get paid.

But there is a difference hiring him as a DB coach vs head coach. The natural next step for Brown would be a DC at P4 school or head coach at lower level FBS. This is a bit of a bigger jump. It’s not that it hasn’t been done before, it’s just that it’s a much higher risk hire.

I compare this to the Steelers hiring Mike Tomlin. He was a lifelong DB coach with one year as DC before the Steelers hired him to replace Cowher. Brown’s demeanor kind of reminds me of Tomlin. Maybe it will work out.

No disagreement that it's a risk. Certainly high risk/high reward. But going into the change in Portal rules/NIL era etc., I like going to war with an elite recruiter.

It'll be Brown's job to figure out coordinators/schemes etc and hopefully he had good answers to those questions when he talked to Wildhack.

If its an epic failure (which of course it could be), then we'll be back here in 3 years and Wildhack will likely be heading to retirement.

In the meantime, I'm going to have fun with it. I'm just glad we arent' going safe with an absolute bore like Jason Candle.

You need a HC who can recruit and handle the X's and O's, no one knows if Brown can do the latter but clearly he can clearly recruit. The guy hasn't even been hired and small group of people are acting like SU just hired Monroe or something. Why not let it play out and see what happens.

"no one knows if Brown can do the latter" - yes, exactly.

Go look back at the top 10 recruiters since 2015. The top 10 is littered with top 10 teams.

Fran brown has done all his recruiting in very fertile areas. Texas, NJ, Georgia. This doesn’t mean his recruiting is going to transition over to Syracuse.

The DB coach at Georgia before Fran Brown was also a top 10 recruiter before Fran got there, ranked number 2 at rivals in 2022.

From a quick look I did starting in 2015, coaches that ranked in the rivals top 10 recruiters for each year that didn’t have any solo coordinator experience prior to being hired as a head coach at a P5 program is Sam Pittman who is lucky he didn’t get fired this season. Jeff Hafley who has had rumors of being fired. Everyone else had some kind of solo coordinator experience, previous head coaching experience outside the p5, or is still a position coach, coordinator at this time.

EDIT (bad math at bedtime) That’s 90 coaches (some duplicates), and only 2 coaches have been hired with similar experience to Brown. And neither have been successful.

Last edited:
Swag Diddy

Guys, stop comparing Fran Brown with Swag Daddy. Monroe was our best recruiter, but not in the same league as a Fran Brown who is literally the best recruiter in the country.
Not on the same planet. Let alone leagues. Fran Brown is about as elite recruiter as you’ll find.

We hired an ace recruiter #1 in the nation. I can't wait until we have the #1 recruiting class in the nation. I mean he is the best recruiter in the nation it sure doesn't have anything to do with the bag Georgia has and they fact they are winning titles right? Can't wait for these 5 star kids to start raining in. So much fun it is going to be. We are going to be a factory now and recruit just like them we have the #1 recruiter in the nation.
What point were you hoping to make here?

you don't think having one of the best recruiters in the nation might significantly improve our recruiting, even if it doesn't bring us to Georgia levels?

Go look back at the top 10 recruiters since 2010. The top 10 is littered with top 10 teams.

Fran brown has done all his recruiting in very fertile areas. Texas, NJ, Georgia. This doesn’t mean his recruiting is going to transition over to Syracuse.

The DB coach at Georgia before Fran Brown was also a top 10 recruiter before Fran got there, ranked number 2 at rivals in 2022.

From a quick look I did starting in 2015, coaches that ranked in the rivals top 10 recruiters for each year that didn’t have any solo coordinator experience prior to being hired as a head coach at a P5 program is Sam Pittman who is lucky he didn’t get fired this season. Jeff Hafley who has had rumors of being fired. Everyone else had some kind of solo coordinator experience, previous head coaching experience outside the p5, or is still a position coach, coordinator at this time.

That’s 140 coaches (some duplicates), and only 2 coaches have been hired with similar experience to Brown. And neither have been successful.

Nah man it has nothing to do with that. He made Georgia not the other way around.

Been looking at Mr. Brown's life and career a little bit. I'm pretty much sold on him as the choice now. The Mullen thread was fun but the glibness of him and Barrie towards the Syracuse job put me off a lot. Chesney, probably a good coach, not ready for this level of football.

So much of this is going to come down to the coordinators. Get Steve Adazzio and Geoff Collins and we might be in business.

Hey maybe some of those top 10 recruits will flip from Athens to Syracuse and follow their recruiter!!

Been looking at Mr. Brown's life and career a little bit. I'm pretty much sold on him as the choice now. The Mullen thread was fun but the glibness of him and Barrie towards the Syracuse job put me off a lot. Chesney, probably a good coach, not ready for this level of football.
a head coach that has won everywhere he’s been isn’t ready for this level but a career DB coach is??

Good lord man give it up, you don't want Brown we get it, you don't need 456 posts saying the same thing over and over.

Why not? People can say he is the #1 recruiter over and over and over again and that is ok. You calling them out?

I said I don't even mind taking a chance on Brown but his success will all be on which coordinators he brings in. People claiming he will succeed because he is the #1 recruiter in the nation is dumb that will not be how Syracuse wins and it never will be.

We don't know if any of the potential candidates can do it beyond maybe Mullen and even that wasn't a lock.

Generally speaking, guys who have been head coaches before probably are less risky than guys who have not. SU is facing a very uncertain future. We needed a "sure thing" hire if we hope to stay at the Big Boy Table in a few years when the next realignment comes.

If we suddenly are truly "Bottom 10" awful again, and not just underachieving and a little sad, then y'know, we could become the next UConn, and football is over. It's the risk that is currently on the table. Our whole future as a program, because basketball and bright colorful lights alone are not going to save us.

If Wildhack wanted to do something REALLY useful, he would be lobbying that ESPN and the other networks pay the ACC equitably with the other conferences in the first place. That's where all this trouble came from. Most of the viewers are on the East Coast and want an East Coast conference. TV is ruining college sports.

1701149370628.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors