Fran Brown | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like a disaster in waiting. Three years ago this guy was carrying on a recruiting beef publicly on Twitter. I'm going to assume it didn't come up in the interview.

with us?

His fellow Baylor/Temple coach Glenn Thomas would be a good choice for OC I think.

is Fran Brown married or do we have another Pasqualoni bachelor...I like my HC's unmarried and without a life.

Cue up the couch at Manley if he's not!

Paul was married with kids. Lived on Scott Ave.

Why would we care about that at all? The head coach of Syracuse football needs to be working on all things related to Syracuse football. You can't serve two masters.
Since you asked, as I said in my OP, 'win an NC and bring that luster with him to SU'.

Or, let him coach in the Gasparilla Bowl and struggle with Bumbles recruits against some dumb school, and lose some of that luster before he's even had a chance to start.

As long as Smart allows him to start hiring and recruiting for SU right away... If that can be worked out, it's a positive situation.

No idea if this is common practice not.

not patronizing at all. if the majority of high school football players were indian i'd want to hire someone from India to be the head coach. The essence of life is in relationships and it totally makes sense. You need to make connections with coaches, recruits, staff, community and fans to make this work.

I hope Wildhack considered how he interacts with everyone holistically and thought about it. Knowing JW he 100% did.
That's weird cause I would just want the best guy

No inside info at all, but I can’t imagine he turned us down. I know he’s turned down smaller schools, but this is a P5 opportunity that would’ve given him a ridiculous raise from what he’s making at HC right now.

yeah exactly. There are only so many P5 jobs that open up every year and A LOT of candidates. When you're picked for one of these jobs at 4mil per year you don't turn it down. You may never be offered another one again.

First timer. Over 30 years basketball and football season ticket holder. Many family members SU graduates including my 90 year old father. I bleed Orange and love to follow this site as it’s informative and entertaining.
norm GIF

Yep I don’t say this in any patronizing way, with a lot of recruits being African American kids from a tough background, you can’t fake authenticity when it comes to living that and relating to that. Brown will be able to go into these kids homes and the kid, his parents, grandparents will all connect with him in a way that a lot of coaches can’t.
I agree with this sentiment in theory, but in reality, Benjamin$$$ speak much larger to recruits and their parents

There's going to be pros and cons to any coaching hire, but I think some on here are vastly underrating Brown's recruiting ability.

If people thought Nunz was the key to Jersey, you haven't see anything until you've seen Brown in action. He was the best recruiter in the nation while at Georgia. He was the best recruiter for Rutgers while he was there. He was the best recruiter for Temple while he was there. He was the best recruiter at Baylor when he was there.

At every program at every level, he is the best recruiter on the staff, period. He relates to kids exceptionally well. He's also likely to bring in assistants who recruit in his style. Just a massive and desperately needed upgrade on the recruiting trail and an injection of talent into the program.

Like others have pointed out, other great recruiters (Linguist, Hafley, heck, even Prime) have floundered in HC positions. And Brown is lacking any serious coordinator experience which is certainly cause for concern. I feel like NIL waters down recruiting ability somewhat while recruiting through the portal may negate that a bit. It's a new age of CFB and those two areas continue to evolve.

It's a swing for the fences hire, but even hitting a double here would be worth it.

Last edited:
Rumors…

HC Fran Brown
OC Jeff Nixon
DC Will Muschamp

What have you heard?
I’d be shocked if Muschamp left Georgia. He’s got a pretty good gig - His son is a walk-on QB at Georgia, he’s helping coordinate a defense with a young up and coming coach, Glenn Schumann, and his college teammate, at his alma mater. Plus, money is no concern after head jobs at Florida and South Carolina.

That's weird cause I would just want the best guy
If the race of the coach recruiting them matters to the recruits, then race should be part of the criteria for "best" coach.

Recruiting is more important than just about anything else in major college sports.

or he's incredibly loyal to his staff and said all or none and they said no thank you.

i've been told he's a unique type of guy with this stuff. i wouldn't be surprised by anything. Or he wasn't offered the job...
and he knows BC will be calling in 11 months...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom