Frank Howard...ahhhh, I got nothing. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard...ahhhh, I got nothing.

Alright.

I’ll say it.

I liked the shove. The nc state player was grappling and jawing at frank on the way down. Im glad someones showing a pulse. Our team has two emotions, yay I just hit a three and im tired time to roll over.

Liked it from frank.
I loved it. I would have done the same thing if an opponent went anywhere near my head/neck area. Frank never went after the kid either. He simply held his ground. And then scored on the next play.

It took the nc state players head out of the game, got him a foul and we kept the ball. If Frank playing bad guy cuts the other teams obvious momentum shift then hell im fine with it. Boeheim wasnt barking at him about it, neither were teammates or fans.

dead legs after 4 days off? Cmon. We won the last two. nobody complained about dead legs. we lose a game on a late 3 and suddenly it’s dead legs.
I love how the dead legs theory ignores the furious late comeback to tie the game. I guess their legs didn't go dead until that final NC State three dropped through the net.

I loved it. I would have done the same thing if an opponent went anywhere near my head/neck area. Frank never went after the kid either. He simply held his ground. And then scored on the next play.
Him driving through the middle and effortlessly laying it in next possession was icy. Loved it

lil hyperbole much? They finished with the same numbers. The entire play started on a Battle Turnover.

Not really, IMO. Frank wanted no part of him once Keatts took that Beverly kid off of him. Changed the whole game. Drew two pushoffs and stripped him another time. That might have been Batts, though. Not to mention the last three he burned Frank on. He also got him on a shot fake-made a mid-range jumper on him. He played 10 fewer minutes as well. That kid changed the whole game. Not to mention the blow buys as well setting up other threes in the 2H.

Frank scored on those corner shots where nobody guarded him and the points he accumulated with Beverly on him.

The rest I'm not going to argue about. His attitude seems to be getting worse as the year drags on...

Again, he has to play 40 minutes every game, has to play terrific D, has to score, has to run the offense (with 50% of the rest of team of little use on offense).

Both the physical and mental toll must be enormous.

I love how the dead legs theory ignores the furious late comeback to tie the game. I guess their legs didn't go dead until that final NC State three dropped through the net.

You don't think that playing 40 minutes night in and night out has a cumulative effect not just physically but also mentally...

You don't think that playing 40 minutes night in and night out has a cumulative effect not just physically but also mentally...
Once they are conditioned to do so, and are playing with the expectation that they are not likely to come off the floor, no I don't.

Once they are conditioned to do so, and are playing with the expectation that they are not likely to come off the floor, no I don't.

Nobody is "conditioned" to play 40 mins a game for an entire season. Nobody.

NBA players used to play 40 mpg for 82 games. In Chuck Taylors.

Though you actually only have to go back to the beginning of this decade to find the league leaders averaging over 40 mpg. This obsession with rest is a recent trend.

Last edited:
Is it ideal? No. But it's what JB has determined is the best path to wins with this group. Just because it flies against convention and just because some people don't like it doesn't mean he can't make it work.
Even lebron takes off
Many old-time NBA players rarely came off the court in 48 minute games. Chamberlain played over 1000 games and averaged nearly 46 minutes per game. Most other stars averaged well over 40 mpg. If the internet existed then, I'm sure there would have been people questioning that strategy.

Is it ideal? No. But it's what JB has determined is the best path to wins with this group. Just because it flies against convention and just because some people don't like it doesn't mean he can't make it work.
Many old-time NBA players rarely came off the court in 48 minute games. Chamberlain played over 1000 games and averaged nearly 46 minutes per game. Most other stars averaged well over 40 mpg. If the internet existed then, I'm sure there would have been people questioning that strategy.

Yeah, exactly - what're JB's other options at this point? Play Bayer more?? Please.
Play injured guys more?
Play walk-ons?

Even IF we had 9-10+ guys and they all could play, JB would likely only play 7.5 of them.
Tyus, Frank, and OSB would still get a ton of minutes; but not quite as many as they do now, out of necessity.

Right now - we're usually lucky if we have 6-7 guys dressed, so it's not like he has a whole lot of other options re: playing time.

Agreed. He's been better than most expected and is our second most reliable scorer.

But he's doesn't make anyone better and just is not reliable.

He'd make a great third guard who could play spot minutes at either position.

His discard of the NC State player and subsequent shove is not the kind of behavior that screams "leader".

I just love the bad behavior criticisms...did anyone complain when DC brought attitude to a game? Or when Pearl went after Ewing? But when Frank stands his ground, all of a sudden it's bad behavior not befitting a leader. The kid can't win for losing. SMH.

Exactly. NBA teams aren't managing minutes without reason. Greater minutes played = greater risk and number of injuries.

When your other option is a walk-on, yeah, I'd say playing 40 mins a game is our best option to win at this point.

But to say that it shouldn't impact his performance over the long term, you put some pretty meaty expectations on this kid in terms of both his physical and mental fitness.

Chamberlain was physically dominant relative to his era in a way that Frank could never hope to be. When you are that physically superior, it makes everything easier. Not a good comparison.

Frank is a good player but not a star by an means - makes carrying a team that much harder.

Alright.

I’ll say it.

I liked the shove. The nc state player was grappling and jawing at frank on the way down. Im glad someones showing a pulse. Our team has two emotions, yay I just hit a three and im tired time to roll over.

Liked it from frank.

Kind of funny that no one is actually faulting Frank for the actual screw up that led to that T. He was lazy and didn't get back when Tyus drove. That led to the break and the dunk in his face. Which then turned into everything else...

From the play by play =

13:05 Tyus Battle missed Jumper. 44 - 47
13:05 Braxton Beverly Defensive Rebound. 44 - 47
13:00 Markell Johnson made Dunk. Assisted by Braxton Beverly. 46 - 47
12:57 Foul on Frank Howard. 46 - 47
12:57 Technical Foul on Frank Howard.

i stated in an earlier post that with frank and battle playing full 40's if i was to game plan against the cuse i'd make them both run crazy out top on defense and drive at and draw every foul i could to sit one or both. cuz at that point it's game over. frank and battle combined for just 5 fouls in 80 minutes.
and people still complained about the officials against nc state.

Last edited:
When your other option is a walk-on, yeah, I'd say playing 40 mins a game is our best option to win at this point.

But to say that it shouldn't impact his performance over the long term, you put some pretty meaty expectations on this kid in terms of both his physical and mental fitness.

Chamberlain was physically dominant relative to his era in a way that Frank could never hope to be. When you are that physically superior, it makes everything easier. Not a good comparison.

Frank is a good player but not a star by an means - makes carrying a team that much harder.
I never compared Howard to Chamberlain, and made it clear that Chamberlain wasn't unique in terms of logging big minutes in his day.
Exactly. NBA teams aren't managing minutes without reason. Greater minutes played = greater risk and number of injuries.
Let's not forget that NBA teams play more than twice the number of games during the course of a longer season, and play roughly four times per week as opposed to twice for college teams. They also typically have deeper rosters of players who can hold their own when the outcome of games are still in doubt.

I just love the bad behavior criticisms...did anyone complain when DC brought attitude to a game? Or when Pearl went after Ewing? But when Frank stands his ground, all of a sudden it's bad behavior not befitting a leader. The kid can't win for losing. SMH.

He's not DC. Or Pearl. Not even CLOSE.

If he was an All American, he can do whatever he wants. Get T's, yell, scream, I don't care.

He ain't an All-American.

He's not DC. Or Pearl. Not even CLOSE.

If he was an All American, he can do whatever he wants. Get T's, yell, scream, I don't care.

He ain't an All-American.

May be All-ACC next year.

It’s harder for big men, how many 7’1” and 275 lbs guys do you see running marathons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom