Frank was so bad | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Frank was so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank gets picked on the most, right or wrong, because he's the point guard. And, as a pg, you bear the main responsibility of running the team, i.e., the QB, Floor General, etc. That position is bar none, the most critical position in the game. As the guards go in college hoops, so does the team go.

As others have alluded, the problem is Frank isn't a point guard, and he doesn't & never has possessed the skill set required to play the position, certainly not at this level. This isn't anything new, last year in games we lost, many of the same Frank problematic tendencies, inadequate skill set, etc. were present then, as they remain today. JB saying that Frank can't get by anyone after the FSU game, he could've made that same statement last year, the only difference is that Frank is a senior...and last year there were no other options. And, just as JB also stated after the first BC game, Tyus is simply better with the ball and in making plays than Frank. Really, go back and revisit some of those games last year, especially the teams that placed a lot of emphasis on ball pressure, etc. The season before, we had a 5th year grad transfer over take his minutes because of similarly related matters.

I feel a large part of the onus is on the coaching staff, as their hope/belief of converting him to a point has been detrimental. You may contribute that to lack of player development, the individual's work ethic himself to improve upon, or both. But one thing is apparently clear, if you do not already maintain the skill set required at point (or at least have a strong base) before arriving on campus, especially at this high level D1/P5 ball, well, good luck as you're simply rolling the dice.

Now, Frank does possess a very nice looking J. He gets excellent elevation, nice release and follow through, while keeping his legs straight up and down. He just has never been consistent at making them, especially for a 2 guard, which is what he has always been. Hopefully, in his remaining games, he can get more of them to fall, get hot/streaky, that would be some especially good timing come March. I think that's really the best we can hope for as fans for the remainder of the season.

What does bother me the most about Frank is a couple of things Corduroy mentioned above. His antics after making a three, etc. and being a relatively lazy defender on D. D is mostly effort, grit and mental toughness. And, that instance last night in that critical possession where Barrett hit that 3 with only a second or two on the shot clock was brutal. He never slid over or even make an effort to do it, leaving OB in the dire position of choosing to flank to the corner to cover an open O'Connell or staying put on Barrett. That, along with that costly T/O when he picked up his dribble, then gave an half-assed effort getting back to stop the ensuing layup.
“JB saying that Frank can't get by anyone after the FSU game, he could've made that same statement last year, the only difference is that Frank is a senior...and last year there were no other options.”
Frank could get by people last year.

If he could shoot over people or make a few teardrops it would be different. He does not and is lazy

If he could shoot over people or make a few teardrops it would be different. He does not and is lazy

so you give frank a D last night. curious if you'd be so bold to tag a grade on the other 2 guards performance.

Assume because they would double off of our center. Didn’t we try to do this everytime they ended up with Jones on Brissett following a switch and we couldn’t take advantage. It’s easy to say it in a vacuum, quite another thing to do especially when the opposing team has a defender that doesn’t actually have to guard his man and is always available to double.

Could be, but I think that issue could be mitigated by having Dolezaj in at the 5, rather than PC.

so you give frank a D last night. curious if you'd be so bold to tag a grade on the other 2 guards performance.

A very weak C imo. Of course that stood out more cuz we haven't been consistently seeing that from Tyus all season long.

“JB saying that Frank can't get by anyone after the FSU game, he could've made that same statement last year, the only difference is that Frank is a senior...and last year there were no other options.”
Frank could get by people last year.

With all due respect, I diplomatically disagree. Go back and revisit many of our losses last year and view for yourself. You probably could pull up some threads here from last year in regards to our point guard issues...pretty much the same exact things being said and discussed. Frank could not get by people last year either, and often our offense stalled in the same exact way, a lot of side to side dribbling, the inability to get into the lane, creating, setting up teammates, running solid sets, hoisting up shots late in the shot clock, etc. Our offense was often putrid last year, and largely was responsible for our 14 losses. It was our stellar D that made the difference, especially in our tourney run. There was a lot of "got to make shots/can't win without making shots" references last year as well. It is quite reminiscent of "Groundhog Day" in regards to our offensive woes.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I diplomatically disagree. Go back and revisit many of our losses last year and view for yourself. You probably could pull up some threads here from last year in regards to our point guard issues...pretty much the same exact things being said and discussed. Frank could not get by people last year either, and often our offense stalled in the same exact way, a lot of side to side dribbling, the inability to get into the lane, creating, setting up teammates, running solid sets, hoisting up shots late in the shot clock, etc. Our offense was often putrid last year, and largely was responsible for our 14 losses. It was our stellar D that made the difference, especially in our tourney run. There was a lot of "got to make shots/can't win without making shots" references last year as well. It is quite reminiscent of "Groundhog Day" in regards to our offensive woes.

There is no doubt about that. Right on the $$$.

I am not surprised people come on here to bash Frank but really, doesn’t it get boring. He is a mediocre player on a mediocre team. Some nights he is the best option. Buddy was getting eaten alive on offense and defense last night. Syracuse has two good wins all season. I have no expectation of this team changing its stripes now. They will most likely win one ACC tournament game and maybe one NCAA tournament game. Anything else would be a pleasant surprise. I am comfortable sitting back and watching now knowing they are who they are.

That's fair.

I think the players that take the most heat historically are ones that people expect more from, or think are capable of more......and/or they just want replaced by a player they think could hypothetically give more.

Frank is hitting on all those so the vitriol is high this year. There is a reason certain players don't get this many posts despite struggles - he's the main ballhandler so it's all eyes on him a lot of the time. Plus, he's had a strange journey at Cuse so I think people want that to pay dividends because of some of the history and the faith everyone has shown that it would pay off in the end.

Doesn't make it fair - but it's not unexpected, and will continue. :(

But guys, Frank's injury is why he can't get by anybody guys

Boheim was making excuses for him at the beginning of the season due to a legitimate injury that sidelined him. It seems we're way beyond that now and it's time to maybe accept the fact that he is not going to be the same player this entire season. Hope I'm wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom