Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

One of the problems is that we are not a destination for coaches. We are not in a good bargaining position and we are simply going to have to take a deep breath and accept objectionable terms or pay up enough to make them go away. I don't care about Frost as he wasn't my choice anyway. We are going to have to accept either a lesser candidate or greater money/lesser contract terms.

We might be better off focusing on older coaches that may not have the same issues as Frost types.
Amen. I just posted as much.

OnlyOrange said:
The last article I read said the main issue was length of contract. Frost wanted 2 years and SU wanted 4 or 5 and neither side would budge. If the $1.2-2M offer is accurate that amount of money isn't enough for a P5 program. At least not enough to be competitive. SU needs to add about $2.5M to their budget and look at established head coaches from successful P5 schools. (If only we had the money to even contemplate Richt) The program (SU FBall) isn't going to be successful attracting unproven head coaches that look at SU as nothing more than a stepping stone. That's exactly what Frost did and exactly why he wanted a 2 year deal. He has his sights set on his alma mater, not 900 Irving Avenue.

1.2 was a false number. 1.8-2 for 5 years for a coordinator is about right. People in the know have said we'd go higher for a HC.

We are not getting a proven coach head coach from a P5 school.

I think we're okay with being a stepping stone - but taking the USF deal would be utter foolishness.

OnlyOrange said:
The last article I read said the main issue was length of contract. Frost wanted 2 years and SU wanted 4 or 5 and neither side would budge. If the $1.2-2M offer is accurate that amount of money isn't enough for a P5 program. At least not enough to be competitive. SU needs to add about $2.5M to their budget and look at established head coaches from successful P5 schools. (If only we had the money to even contemplate Richt) The program (SU FBall) isn't going to be successful attracting unproven head coaches that look at SU as nothing more than a stepping stone. That's exactly what Frost did and exactly why he wanted a 2 year deal. He has his sights set on his alma mater, not 900 Irving Avenue.

Read this whole thread for an update to your info.

phil77 said:
I wasn't mad we didn't sign Frost. My concern and I stated a number of times was that Coyle should have known going in that Frost was looking to jump ship as soon as possible to Nebraska and not targeted him to begin with. Should never have interviewed him or offered a contract IMO.

Can't be mad about that. We have no idea how frost portrayed himself in the initial conversations.

Can't be mad about that. We have no idea how frost portrayed himself in the initial conversations.

Precisely, someone played someone here. It may have been Syracuse playing him as well. We just don't know. Sausage making is difficult to witness in public.

I have to assume agents are dropping little nuggets to reporters too for their own agenda. The Syracuse salary details sounds like A1 evidence. Frost is probably hearing from a ton of people why he would not go to Syracuse and wanted UCF. From his vantage point that sounds nonsensical. He is setting out the agenda that we undersold him.

Exactly bees. I just think there are people on this board that have never been involved in a search process or an interview process, on either side. This happens all the time.

Sure I can.

I expect our AD to have a first choice that doesn't have a very well-known ultimate goal and will want to be able to achieve that goal as soon as possible, regardless of what he says.

He clearly told UCF the deal since he has his buyout terms as they are. But he apparently lied to Coyle, a guy he already has a pre-existing relationship with, and was so convincing in his singular instance of denying his want to get to Nebraska that he pulled a fast one on Coyle?

Come on. If that is the case, fire Coyle. Because we need someone that can own a negotiation better than that.

Fact is Frost should never have been #1 on the board.

We erred and are now onto secondary and tertiary options. This is not a good look for our AD.

But still he should have known. He is smarter than that. This board knew he would leave to Nebraska the first chance he got. If you weren't willing to gamble then dont bring Frost to the table to begin with is all I am saying.

Sure I can.

I expect our AD to have a first choice that doesn't have a very well-known ultimate goal and will want to be able to achieve that goal as soon as possible, regardless of what he says.

He clearly told UCF the deal since he has his buyout terms as they are. But he apparently lied to Coyle, a guy he already has a pre-existing relationship with, and was so convincing in his singular instance of denying his want to get to Nebraska that he pulled a fast one on Coyle?

Come on. If that is the case, fire Coyle. Because we need someone that can own a negotiation better than that.

We erred and are now onto secondary and tertiary options. This is not a good look for our AD.

it's not a good look optically (i've thought about it alot) but i think there is a reason for it. I think we got played and sometimes it's the person playing u that should be looked upon as the bad actor. Even ND/USC get their second choices vs the top one. It's much ado about nothing if we get the right guy.

Sure I can.

LOL really man. step off the ledge for just a second.

But still he should have known. He is smarter than that. This board knew he would leave to Nebraska the first chance he got. If you weren't willing to gamble then dont bring Frost to the table to begin with is all I am saying.

He was and tried to combat that by offering a contract that suited such a possibility

u were so fire shafer. now u think you could have supported a guy who was looking to leave that our AD took a "gamble" on. LOL Talk about lollipops and rainbows.

MikeSU02 said:
Sure I can. I expect our AD to have a first choice that doesn't have a very well-known ultimate goal and will want to be able to achieve that goal as soon as possible, regardless of what he says. He clearly told UCF the deal since he has his buyout terms as they are. But he apparently lied to Coyle, a guy he already has a pre-existing relationship with, and was so convincing in his singular instance of denying his want to get to Nebraska that he pulled a fast one on Coyle? Come on. If that is the case, fire Coyle. Because we need someone that can own a negotiation better than that. Fact is Frost should never have been #1 on the board. We erred and are now onto secondary and tertiary options. This is not a good look for our AD.

You don't know how either offer was negotiated.

phil77 said:

There's gamble and there's "he might leave after 1 year"...

He was and tried to combat that by offering a contract that suited such a possibility

But Frost would never agree to that contract in the first place because he would always have one foot out the door. That should have been common knowledge to Coyle and his advisers in my opinion. Once again I am not mad we didn't sign Frost as our head coach I am confused as why he was brought to the table in the first place knowing that he wouldn't be a long term answer.

But Frost would never agree to that contract in the first place because he would always have one foot out the door. That should have been common knowledge to Coyle and his advisers in my opinion. Once again I am not mad we didn't sign Frost as our head coach I am confused as why he was brought to the table in the first place knowing that he wouldn't be a long term answer.

Perhaps Frost's team made Coyle believe they were ok with a buyout structure, but some school was stupid enough to not have the structure.

There's gamble and there's "he might leave after 1 year"...

He might not leave after 1 year. He might leave after 2 years or he might not. There is no way of knowing that. What if Nebraska has a big turn around next year? What if Frost flops as a coach. Its all a gamble IMO.

Perhaps Frost's team made Coyle believe they were ok with a buyout structure, but some school was stupid enough to not have the structure.

That could be I have no way of knowing what exactly happened. IMO should have just left Frost off the search.

He might not leave after 1 year. He might leave after 2 years or he might not. There is no way of knowing that. What if Nebraska has a big turn around next year? What if Frost flops as a coach. Its all a gamble IMO.

Bro you are fighting upstream starting another witch hunt on coyle like you did shafer but its just not right. He did know that and tried to protect against it. it doesnt mean that an OC from one of the highest producing offenses in the country in the last decade was tops on his list which coincidentally bothered all the fire shafer people.

u were so fire shafer. now u think you could have supported a guy who was looking to leave that our AD took a "gamble" on. LOL Talk about lollipops and rainbows.

I will always support what is best for the University that is why I said I am OK that Frost isnt our coach IMO Frost should never have been a candidate if you weren't ready to gamble on him leaving after a year or two.

That could be I have no way of knowing what exactly happened. IMO should have just left Frost off the search.

Because you dont like it? Business takes stones. Big ones. Im not sure I have seen anything here that doesn't happen everyday in this country.

Bro you are fighting upstream starting another witch hunt on coyle like you did shafer but its just not right. He did know that and tried to protect against it. it doesnt mean that an OC from one of the highest producing offenses in the country in the last decade was tops on his list which coincidentally bothered all the fire shafer people.

I am not starting a witch hunt. I am having a level headed conversation. I am not asking Coyle to be fired. I am not even putting down Coyle. I just said Frost shouldn't have been interviewed if you weren't willing to take on the gamble. That is all. I am not yelling at anyone. I am not using bad language. I am not insulting anyone. I am having a normal message board conversation what is wrong with that?

Sure I can.

Fact is...you don't have any of the facts firsthand...fact is...it's your opinion what you spew.

phil77 said:

Too much risk. If a guy stays 3 years and bolts with a 1m buyout, fine. 1, 2 years? No way. That's getting played.