Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

Too much risk. If a guy stays 3 years and bolts with a 1m buyout, fine. 1, 2 years? No way. That's getting played.

I agree and all I am saying is don't interview him and don't offer him a contract.

You don't know how either offer was negotiated.

So UCF just gave him the greatest buyout terms ever just because?

I mean, why not? Grab bag negotiations!

Fact is...you don't have any of the facts firsthand...fact is...it's your opinion what you spew.

Amazingly, you are using italics and ellipses incorrectly, well done.

He might not leave after 1 year. He might leave after 2 years or he might not. There is no way of knowing that. What if Nebraska has a big turn around next year? What if Frost flops as a coach. Its all a gamble IMO.
Nebraska will give Riley 3 years IMHO...The 3rd year analysis was eye opening to me.

MikeSU02 said:
Sure I can. I expect our AD to have a first choice that doesn't have a very well-known ultimate goal and will want to be able to achieve that goal as soon as possible, regardless of what he says. He clearly told UCF the deal since he has his buyout terms as they are. But he apparently lied to Coyle, a guy he already has a pre-existing relationship with, and was so convincing in his singular instance of denying his want to get to Nebraska that he pulled a fast one on Coyle? Come on. If that is the case, fire Coyle. Because we need someone that can own a negotiation better than that. Fact is Frost should never have been #1 on the board. We erred and are now onto secondary and tertiary options. This is not a good look for our AD.

Yea, that ultimate goal could have been somewhere down the road. Maybe 4-5. But 1-2? Did he own up to that now that recently it's becoming clearer that Nebraska might be open then? Coyle is a smart man. Syverud is a smart man. They had someone targeted and they went after him. You're just looking for something to pick at. But unless you have been in all the convos, you have no basis for anything in that post. And what harm was there if it was a slim chance of getting him on our terms? None what so ever except some internet rants.

Nebraska will give Riley 3 years IMHO...The 3rd year analysis was eye opening to me.

I agree that Riley will get three years. Frost is a hot commodity, but he isn't a slam dunk by any means.

Have to give Riley that much time (imo).

phil77 said:
I agree and all I am saying is don't interview him and don't offer him a contract.

You play the game to try to win. You negotiate. We wanted him but not under those circumstances. Who knows where that line is?

MikeSU02 said:
So UCF just gave him the greatest buyout terms ever just because? I mean, why not? Grab bag negotiations!

I'm sure they made an offer similar to us, Frost came back with this crap buyout, and they bit. We didn't.

Yea, that ultimate goal could have been somewhere down the road. Maybe 4-5. But 1-2? Did he own up to that now that recently it's becoming clearer that Nebraska might be open then? Coyle is a smart man. Syverud is a smart man. They had someone targeted and they went after him. You're just looking for something to pick at. But unless you have been in all the convos, you have no basis for anything in that post. And what harm was there if it was a slim chance of getting him on our terms? None what so ever except some internet rants.

Scott Frost is a smart man. Scott Frost's agent is a smart man. See how this works? They all should be smart men (or women) in that room. That's the lowest baseline to work from.

I absolutely have basis for the UCF negotiations unless UCF had an absolute imbecile manage the negotiations. I can assume, safely, that Scott Frost made his expectations know as to where he wants to end up since he has the buyout terms he has.

TexanMark said:

I don't know. Knives are out already after 1 year. Fans hated that hire and wanted Frost to begin with.

I'm sure they made an offer similar to us, Frost came back with this crap buyout, and they bit. We didn't.

I absolutely agree with this statement. I think you are 100% right.

MikeSU02 said:
Scott Frost is a smart man. Scott Frost's agent is a smart man. See how this works? They all should be smart men (or women) in that room. That's the lowest baseline to work from. I absolutely have basis for the UCF negotiations unless UCF had an absolute imbecile manage the negotiations. I can assume, safely, that Scott Frost made his expectations know as to where he wants to end up since he has the buyout terms he has.

Yeah. We hoped to get a good coach for 3-4 years. UCF got a mercenary for 1-3 OR a sucky coach.

phil77 said:

How are you going to find out these things about him if he isn't interviewed or there are no contract negotiations.

Yeah. We hoped to get a good coach for 3-4 years. UCF got a mercenary for 1-3 OR a sucky coach.

Yes they did. Being 0-12 in a non-P5 makes you take certain risks.

Let me just say this too.

I'm not great with contracts and buyouts and all that. But I do know people. Contracts, wedding licenses, etc. are similar in that they are a fallback to the original "deal" which is mutual trust.

"I'll work my arse off for you"
"We'll pay you what you're worth and support you and hold you accountable"

A guy who has one foot out the door contractually probably isn't going to go all out. Why support a guy like that fully?

This will end messy for UCF.

phil77 said:
But still he should have known. He is smarter than that. This board knew he would leave to Nebraska the first chance he got. If you weren't willing to gamble then dont bring Frost to the table to begin with is all I am saying.

I'll trust we knew what we were doing.

MikeSU02 said:
Yes they did. Being 0-12 in a non-P5 makes you take certain risks.

Good for them. Good luck.

But Frost would never agree to that contract in the first place because he would always have one foot out the door. That should have been common knowledge to Coyle and his advisers in my opinion. Once again I am not mad we didn't sign Frost as our head coach I am confused as why he was brought to the table in the first place knowing that he wouldn't be a long term answer.

I bet he would have agreed to our contract if UCF didn't come in desperate and give him a totally one sided offer.

We can only control what we offer, we can't control another AD's stupidity.

I work in real estate development and coaches are like real estate. One buyer, one seller and you will probably have a rational process that will most likely favor the buyer. Add two or more buyers and it becomes an irrational, crazy process to see who will flinch first. You can look at it as we lost the deal but we also didn't compromise our standards and we are still in the game with a bunch of other coaches.

phil77 said:
I will always support what is best for the University that is why I said I am OK that Frost isnt our coach IMO Frost should never have been a candidate if you weren't ready to gamble on him leaving after a year or two.

But he should have been a candidate if we were willing to gamble we could get acceptable contract terms. We did gamble but lost nothing.

But he should have been a candidate if we were willing to gamble we could get acceptable contract terms. We did gamble but lost nothing.

Lost a little in terms of public perception but overall I agree nothing really lost.

MikeSU02 said:
Scott Frost is a smart man. Scott Frost's agent is a smart man. See how this works? They all should be smart men (or women) in that room. That's the lowest baseline to work from. I absolutely have basis for the UCF negotiations unless UCF had an absolute imbecile manage the negotiations. I can assume, safely, that Scott Frost made his expectations know as to where he wants to end up since he has the buyout terms he has.

I'm sure his side is smart. But our guys weren't going to be used so we said no thanks. No loss. UCF was willing to take a bad deal. We weren't.

But still he should have known. He is smarter than that. This board knew he would leave to Nebraska the first chance he got. If you weren't willing to gamble then dont bring Frost to the table to begin with is all I am saying.

This board knew that he'd insist on having the ability to opt out in 1-2 years? Come on man.

And if the board did know that, then no one on this board should have been happy about pursuing him to begin with.

Wrong, Wake Forest is the Kansas of the ACC.

From a football perspective, sure. Wake basketball is nowhere near Kansas. I was insinuating that Kansas like Syracuse is a basketball first school that has a great basketball program and lack of support for football.

Hopefully beginning with this impending football coaching hire Syracuse starts showing a true financial commitment to the football program.