FSU Game Thread... | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Game Thread...

People don't appreciate how deep of a hole we were in after three years of Shafer. From a talent perspective, football IQ perspective, conditioning perspective, culture perspective. The mere fact that we have been competitive in EVERY SINGLE GAME this season, despite playing a ridiculously hard schedule, is borderline miraculous. The small minded are quick to look past the big picture structural improvements and want to armchair quarterback nuances in the individual games. Doing so misses the forest for the trees. The program has made MASSIVE gains in under two full seasons, with every reason to expect the trajectory to continue to go up. This is cause for optimism, not this whiny woe is me crap.

Thank you for talking some damn sense.

I agree. And you can’t disagree with we left another 3 on the field from the 10...
Our kickers got wasted by FSU in this game. Not only did we miss two FG's in a 3 point game (including a potential tying score), the FSU punter totally worked us on field position. He absolutely crushed it every single time while we kicked 30 yarders-- I have no idea why the game stats show a 42 yard average. Terrible performance by SU kickers, maybe the worst of the year (and I'm not blaming it on the coaches). Never going to turn the corner getting outplayed like that on special teams.

Last edited:
The immediate hot take from some blaming Shafer when we lose a close game is pretty interesting after that one.

Didn't say I don't think we can beat them, but both games are going to essentially be pick-em games. And given our road woes, I gives us a 1% chance of beating Louisville.

Louisville is almost as bad as FSU. They are 1 super human away from being a winless team. Syracuse matches up much better vs Louisville.

Ifs and buts, if we hadn't lost to Mtsu, we had a winnable game today, and couldn't get it done.

What the hell dude? Your failure to truly grasp what Dino was faced with coming into this gig and the SIGNIFICANT improvement that we have shown in our PROGRAM (not just team) astounds me. Whatever man. Do your thing.

Our kickers got wasted by FSU in this game. Not only did we miss two FG's in a 3 point game (including a potential tying score), the FSU punter totally worked us on field position. He absolutely crushed it every single time while we kicked 30 yarders. Terrible performance by SU kickers, maybe the worst of the year. Never going to turn the corner getting outplayed like that on special teams.

I agree Reed. We needed one of three at least. Two of three to win.

Gotta consider custis 4th down td then. Cant complain when were aggressive and add points to the scoreboard when we dont score but then not delete points when we go for it on fourth and do score.

True, but you have to play "situational" ball. That fumbled punt right before the half was a gift. You have to come away there with a minimum of 3 points and take that mo into the locker room. That was such a mental deflation, it appeared to have bled into the second half for us as up until that very late 4Q TD, we only had 3 points after intermission.

The giant sucking sound you hear is our chances of a bowl game going down the toilet

FSU was never one of the games we were thinking about winning to get to a bowl game. WF and BC were.

I figure I've watched more than 3,000 games in my life. Given the situation at the end of the half, with several yards to go and especially coming off a TO, has any coach Not kicked the FG.

True, but you have to play "situational" ball. That fumbled punt right before the half was a gift. You have to come away there with a minimum of 3 points and take that mo into the locker room. That was such a mental deflation, it appeared to have bled into the second half for us as up until that very late 4Q TD, we only had 3 points after intermission.

Our offense didn't score much in the 2nd half because of momentum? Do you actually believe this?

I figure I've watched more than 3,000 games in my life. Given the situation at the end of the half, with several yards to go and especially coming off a TO, has any coach Not kicked the FG.
Seriously, you take 3 shoots at the end zone, maybe run it on 2nd to see if u can sneak 1 by, then you take the 3 Free and run laughing to the locker room

Are you guys watching these games or just looking at the result? So if Murphy makes the fg and win win in ot. HEY, WE ARRIVED. What B.S.. The plan is right on schedule. Like every other college team, we are tougher at home than we are on the road. Big surprise. LSU, Miami, and FSU, games were right there. At this point, that is all you can ask for. The team is a pleasure to watch again. 4 wins year one. 6 wins year 2. 8 wins year 3.

Exactly. The path back from irrelevancy is not a nice, clean straight one unfortunately. There's ups and downs but make no mistake, we are trending in the right direction. Even on a down year this is still FSU playing at Doak. They are going to be loaded with elite athletes, no matter what their record is. Obviously, I"m disappointed that we lost but tbh, I didn't think we were going to win it anyways.

This is what this "terrible" FSU team that is "worse than Wake and BC" is made out of:
FSU Recruiting Class Ranks
2013 #16, 7 4stars
2014 #3, 12 4 stars
2015 #11 11 4stars
2016 #7, 11 4stars

We’re consistently competitive for the first time since 2012.

It’s a process. You don’t usually go from sucking to good while skipping all the steps in the middle. We’re in the middle. We don’t suck anymore, but we’re not good yet either.

I agree with this and I’ve said it before, even this week. I’m not thinking well right now

Seriously, you take 3 shoots at the end zone, maybe run it on 2nd to see if u can sneak 1 by, then you take the 3 Free and run laughing to the locker room
Exactly

People don't appreciate how deep of a hole we were in after three years of Shafer. From a talent perspective, football IQ perspective, conditioning perspective, culture perspective. The mere fact that we have been competitive in EVERY SINGLE GAME this season, despite playing a ridiculously hard schedule, is borderline miraculous. The small minded are quick to look past the big picture structural improvements and want to armchair quarterback nuances in the individual games. Doing so misses the forest for the trees. The program has made MASSIVE gains in under two full seasons, with every reason to expect the trajectory to continue to go up. This is cause for optimism, not this whiny woe is me crap.
Good points, which no one disagrees with, BUT...if you get into the bar underage, I'd expect one to start drinking and not just try to look cool in the corner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom