FSU Game Thread... | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Game Thread...

We outplayed FSU but didn't outscore them. I Feel bad for Cole...those misses could have won it for us, plus the kick we could have made to end the first half. If we'd done just those things right, we'd have won by 6. It just proves you need a complete game in all facets to win. We played well enough on offense & defense to win, but it wasn't enough to outscore them. Being at home against wake should help get us to 5 wins, then it's 2 to get 1. Dungey was incredible but needs a lot of therapy and quickly...

I figure I've watched more than 3,000 games in my life. Given the situation at the end of the half, with several yards to go and especially coming off a TO, has any coach Not kicked the FG.

I actually liked the decision to go for it - but would have been happy taking the points. I was 50/50. I was more upset that it wasn’t consistent with the earlier decision to go for a longer field goal down 14.

Makes no sense to me kicking the field goal down 14 and trying the 48 yarder vs going for it on fourth and short. I was screaming at that one. If you’re going to pass on the short field goal down 7, it makes far less sense to kick a longer one down 14. I think Dino probably thought our defense wasn’t going to step up in second half given the three 50 yard td scores.

Think he got caught up in emotions.

I also really didn’t like the play call. When the idiot color guy is predicting a dungey option, then so is FSu . Could have faked a run bootleg with pass options etc. we need to be a little less predictable on offense.

We outplayed FSU but didn't outscore them. I Feel bad for Cole...those misses could have won it for us, plus the kick we could have made to end the first half. If we'd done just those things right, we'd have won by 6. It just proves you need a complete game in all facets to win. We played well enough on offense & defense to win, but it wasn't enough to outscore them. Being at home against wake should help get us to 5 wins, then it's 2 to get 1. Dungey was incredible but needs a lot of therapy and quickly...

An outstanding post. As was pointed out earlier, we got beat on special teams. That’s the reason we lost. They made their field goals. We didn’t. They punted brilliantly. We didn’t. We’ll need to get better. They were 6 points better then us on special teams. If we’re even we win...

JC, too many panty waists. For those going full , go read leftyg's post until you understand...
Sure as hell preferring to use statistics and playing to maximize our chance of winning vs meathead ball. Doesn’t everyone remember every goddamn punt with matrons on 4th and 1 at the opponents 40?!?! There’s a reason these systems work with less talent. Meathead football won’t work at Syracuse unless all you want are 5/6 win seasons. Full faith in dino. He will get better and so will the team.

This is the post of the thread, and the only thing you need to read in the reactionary cesspool this board is about to become. This is spot on and needs to be understood and taken to heart by all Syracuse fans.

But we want everything and we want it right away! A lot of folks just completely out of touch with reality. We're not getting smashed by 50 by LSU, Clemson and FSU this year and are competitive to the end of every game and its not good enough. Can't imagine/remember what these people were saying last year and the decade before that.

People don't appreciate how deep of a hole we were in after three years of Shafer. From a talent perspective, football IQ perspective, conditioning perspective, culture perspective. The mere fact that we have been competitive in EVERY SINGLE GAME this season, despite playing a ridiculously hard schedule, is borderline miraculous. The small minded are quick to look past the big picture structural improvements and want to armchair quarterback nuances in the individual games. Doing so misses the forest for the trees. The program has made MASSIVE gains in under two full seasons, with every reason to expect the trajectory to continue to go up. This is cause for optimism, not this whiny woe is me crap.

Best post ever

Yes we lost by a FG but I would much rather watch heart attack cuse than getting blown out cuse.
Exactly. People forget the g Rob years where we went down to fsu and were down 30 in a quarter.

An outstanding post. As was pointed out earlier, we got beat on special teams. That’s the reason we lost. They made their field goals. We didn’t. They punted brilliantly. We didn’t. We’ll need to get better. They were 6 points better then us on special teams. If we’re even we win...

Probably knocks that one through if its for the win and not the tie too. Different level of stress and nerves involved at that point. Whole game is obviously different but just a what if.

The sack Eric took was big, it cost them at least one more shot at the EZ. It Required using the last TO. he gets the 1st on the next play, but he has to recognize that pressure and protect TOs, field position and his own health in the 2 minute offense.

And we need to recognize that him even being on the field was probably detrimental to his long term health and he played his balls off and made plays out of nothing on 1 leg like he does every week. If he was capable of being perfect he wouldn't be at Syracuse right now. He wouldn't make so many mistakes if he didn't have to do everything by himself.

And we need to recognize that him even being on the field was probably detrimental to his long term health and he played his balls off and made plays out of nothing on 1 leg like he does every week. If he was capable of being perfect he wouldn't be at Syracuse right now. He wouldn't make so many mistakes if he didn't have to do everything by himself.

Eric is a warrior. He’s my favorite Syracuse player by far of the last 20 years and it’s not even close. He leaves it all out on the field and just is dying to win.

Also loved Devito consoling him after the game. Great teammates pick each other up. They all wanted it bad. Team doesn’t quit.

I was clearly referring to since ‘98. Would it make you feel better if I said “19 years of nut kicks?”

1999 and 2000 were complete disappointments full of nut kicks.

2001 was an aberration and exception. There have been few bright spots since ‘98.

19 years of mostly nut kicks with a few exceptions. Better?

Glad you enjoyed the Music City bowl when we had a top notch defense and NFL backfield.

You said 20 years.

Sorry to be a stickler for facts. There were two major bowls in there. There were no repeated "nut kicks" as you so eloquently put it.

If you had focused on the Robinson years or two of the Shafer years that would have been a bit more accurate.

1999 and 2000 were the product of Vick's decision and our weakness at QB.

And 2001 was a reflection of outstanding coaching and a dominant defensive player - along with a few other solid players.

I tend to look at the program in a positive light.

Take care.

You said 20 years.

Sorry to be a stickler for facts. There were two major bowls in there. There were no repeated "nut kicks" as you so eloquently put it.

If you had focused on the Robinson years or two of the Shafer years that would have been a bit more accurate.

And 2001 was a reflection of outstanding coaching and a dominant defensive player - along with a few other solid players.

Take care.

Good luck using a positive light. We are 1 player away from having been a completely irrelevant debacle for this entire century.

Because you didn't think they would be 3-5 going into the game, things change.

You shouldn't think you're taking 10s home every night because you got lucky once with someone sloppy drunk at 4am.

FSU was never one of the games we were thinking about winning to get to a bowl game. WF and BC were.
Think again about bc, wake may be beat up from nd so I think we pull that off, but Lamar is more explosive than anyone we have played so far and we live to give up huge plays

You said 20 years.

Take care.

Ok, the last 20 years of Cuse football have been AWESOME. How could I not see that. Great point.

Think again about bc, wake may be beat up from nd so I think we pull that off, but Lamar is more explosive than anyone we have played so far and we live to give up huge plays

At no point have I thought we'd beat Louisville. The only path to us getting to a bowl game in my mind always involved beating Wake and BC. Just sort of swapped out Middle Tenn and Clemson along the way which is sort of disturbing when you have to really think about it.

You shouldn't think you're taking 10s home every night because you got lucky once with someone sloppy drunk at 4am.

If I meet them at 4am everytime I’ll expect that. Just like expecting to beat a not very good team ebery time we play them, shouldn’t be that big of an expectation

At no point have I thought we'd beat Louisville. The only path to us getting to a bowl game in my mind always involved beating Wake and BC. Just sort of swapped out Middle Tenn and Clemson along the way which is sort of disturbing when you have to really think about it.
I think bc is too physical for us, and they can actually run the ball. Ackers has had a mediocre year before today but gashed us twice just like the two long runs we gave up against Clemson

It tastes like a heart attack special, and not in a good way. Had it in Oklahoma, wasn't very good. It was a thin, cheap cut of steak... So you didn't get to enjoy the steak. It was basically indistinguishable meat fried in batter and slathered in gravy, with a biscuit.

Is that bad?

People don't appreciate how deep of a hole we were in after three years of Shafer. From a talent perspective, football IQ perspective, conditioning perspective, culture perspective. The mere fact that we have been competitive in EVERY SINGLE GAME this season, despite playing a ridiculously hard schedule, is borderline miraculous. The small minded are quick to look past the big picture structural improvements and want to armchair quarterback nuances in the individual games. Doing so misses the forest for the trees. The program has made MASSIVE gains in under two full seasons, with every reason to expect the trajectory to continue to go up. This is cause for optimism, not this whiny woe is me crap.

This should be tacked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom