Class of 2015 - G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think they fall into into PG and SG roles. Howard, DiVincenzo and Richardson as SGs and Crawford and Briscoe as PGs. Briscoe could be a combo.

agreed but it seems like the most likely signees are Howard and DiVencenzo and both are SG's... Dont think we take both, as we already have quite a few on the roster... Just wanted to see who got first dibs... That is unless Howard could be a PG?

Thanks Francis, would we take both 1 and 1A? I guess that was more my question...
I don't think we'll take both with how loaded the 2016 class is with high-quality guards. Plus with Lydon already in the fold, we only have 2 ships to give out currently. Grant and maybe another player might leave after this season opening up some more spots, but I can't see the staff loading up on guards in 2015, when you have players like Jamal Murray and Tyus Battle interested. Both are better than any guard we can land in 2015 imho.

agreed but it seems like the most likely signees are Howard and DiVencenzo and both are SG's... Dont think we take both, as we already have quite a few on the roster... Just wanted to see who got first dibs... That is unless Howard could be a PG?
DiVincenzo is a combo and handles the ball a lot for his HS/AAU teams. Howard is mainly a SG at the moment, but wants to transition into more of a combo role in the future. I think the staff is attracted by him possibly being another tall playmaking guard like MCW.

Last edited:
Thanks Francis, would we take both 1 and 1A? I guess that was more my question...
I'm not the expert here, but I strongly suspect that the exceptional crop of guards in 2016 renders the question moot. I think Battle and Murray are likely much higher priorities for our staff. Naturally I defer to Francis and others as my talent for evaluating bball prospects is... well, let's just say I can tell you more about Permian pelycosaurs.

I kinda see Divincenzo as our best G get for 2015 (assuming Briscoe is a lost cause) for the reason Francis stated. Hes a nice, big combo guard who can contribute for 4 years, wont leave us without a backup ballhandler in those 4 years, but won't scare off the Battles of the world in future classes.

I don't think we'll take both with how loaded the 2016 class is with high-quality guards. Plus with Lydon already in the fold, we only have 2 ships to give out currently. Grant and maybe another player might leave after this season opening up some more spots, but I can't see the staff loading up on guards in 2015, when you have players like Jamal Murray and Tyus Battle interested. Both are better than any guard we can land in 2015 imho.

DiVincenzo is a combo and handles the ball a lot for his HS/AAU teams. Howard is mainly a SG at the moment, but wants to transition into more of a combo role in the future. I think the staff is attracted by him possibly being another tall playmaking guard like MCW.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I just saw Francis' reply. I should just stay in "listen mode" on these threads...

Just looking at the number of offers, the guard and forward spots are top priority and the staff is going all in on Diagne and Jones and if they miss, no alternate options. Also by looking at the number of offers, guessing the staff expect Ennis and Roberson to depart early.

I find I like most guards when I watch their highlights they all look awesome if they are high major recruits. What I look for with PG's is vision, running the offense and handle. SG's obviously shot mechanics but also how many different ways and places they can score from. Howard seems to have a pull-up, runner and a floater pluas a few different releases around the rim. The shot looks pretty solid as well. I really like that he stops and shoots when he gets to an open spot rather than going too far. He's like I can make this 9'er so I will, boom done.

I'd kind of be surprised to see us take more than one guard in 15 since we have Lydon, are likely to get Diange, in real deep with Bryant and possibly still after Jones. Numbers don't seem to add up and I still thing only one of Bryant/Jones (Bryant hopefully). I suppose we could wind up with an extra scholly somewhere but by my count we are gave one out and only have two left.

Just looking at the number of offers, the guard and forward spots are top priority and the staff is going all in on Diagne and Jones and if they miss, no alternate options. Also by looking at the number of offers, guessing the staff expect Ennis and Roberson to depart early.
Don't forget about Tommy Bryant and Chris Silva. Diallo could still be in the mix and Josh Sharma could be offered soon as well since we need all of the APR help that we can get.

Don't forget about Tommy Bryant and Chris Silva. Diallo could still be in the mix and Josh Sharma could be offered soon as well since we need all of the APR help that we can get.

Sorry to keep pestering Francis, just in your humble opinion... Do both Howard and Dante have equal scholarship offers. Kind of a first come basis? Or is one slightly ahead of the other...?

Last edited:
Sorry to keep pestering Francis, just in your humble opinion... Does both Howard and Dante have equal scholarship offers. Kind of a first come basis? Or is one slightly ahead of the other...?

Great question? Also would we tell either of them to hold up if they wanted to commit now?

This class is going to be STACKED. And the best part, it seems like they're going to be jumping on board early.

Howard's official measurements over the summer was 6'5, 187, 6'7 wingspan. Kid is only 16, so he could be a 6'7 guard when all said n done or even a 7 footer in Rothstein's terms.:)

How good is he, Francis? Is he an elite prospect? Because an 82 score on ESPN is not anywhere in the ballpark of the kids we've been recruiting. Although his offer list looks very solid, so ... your thoughts?

Guard offer pool currently stands at:

Briscoe, DiVincenzo, Howard, Richardson

Top concern has to be bringing in another capable ball handler behind Joseph (yes, I believe Ennis jumps after two years).

Also still hold hope that the staff can convince Bryant to come in with Lydon on board, as well as Diagne and Jones. If Roberson explodes, should be more than enough room for everyone.

I'm figuring Jones is out and Bryant is our remaining forward target.

I'd like to see Briscoe, from among the guards listed above. Seems a bit of a long shot, though.

If he ends up at Cuse his shot will become known as "The Franklin Floater". He's got a Josh Pace type floater that looks really effective!

His dribble doesn't look that tight, and I didn't see the ability to score in the lane that Pace had. Has decent form on his shot, he's got good size and is fairly athletic, but especially considering that was a highlight video, nothing said "wow" to me. He looks like a 4 year player. You need those, obviously, but we could use a big time scorer at the other guard spot to balance out how deep our front court is.

Sorry to keep pestering Francis, just in your humble opinion... Do both Howard and Dante have equal scholarship offers. Kind of a first come basis? Or is one slightly ahead of the other...?
Would say it's first come basis. Like we saw recently in the KJ/IW situation, the staff isn't going to wait around forever for one kid if they have other options.

How good is he, Francis? Is he an elite prospect? Because an 82 score on ESPN is not anywhere in the ballpark of the kids we've been recruiting. Although his offer list looks very solid, so ... your thoughts?
Howard's ESPN score of 82 is actually higher than our recent commit Lydon at 81. Since ESPN only goes up to 60 for their 2015 rankings, I would assume Franklin would be ranked somewhere from 61-70. The other two main recruiting sites have him inside their top 60. As far as his game, I actually got to see his HS team play three times last season. In the first game against Oak Hill, he struggled with his shot badly and scored most of his points from the line. The next two games he played much better scoring over 20pts in each, with one of them coming against HS National Champs Montverde. He scored mostly from drives and floaters, but the impressive thing was that he was scoring at will in the paint over two of Montverde's 6'10 big men (one being Dakari Johnson). His ball handling is solid, but he's more of a straight line driver than a dribble breakdown guard. Decent athlete but I wouldn't say that he's super explosive and the recent ACL injury might decrease that a little. Very active on both ends of the floor and plays with a good motor. He wants to transition into more of a combo and develop some PG skills in the future. Currently I don't view him as a recruit that will be an instant superstar, but I get the sense that the staff is intrigued by his upside in a few years, as he's far from a finish product and could be a gem if he becomes a 6'6/6'7 guard.

The Lawrence Moten comparison is what struck me as I watched those vids.
"Poetry-In" wasn't what'd be described as a great athlete, but was perhaps the smartest, most efficient scorer I have ever seen.
This kid looks really smooth & as others have said, his jumper already looks better than the BE All-Time leading scorer.
All faith in the staff. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.