Class of 2015 - G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
normaliswear said:
Nice interview. Kid is playing his cards close to the vest. But seems to have real interest in cuse, likes Red, had a good talk with JB, and if he's coming for the Duke game he won't beat that atmosphere, especially if we win. http://t.co/bioBUCL3pB

While hes not trying to show his cards, to me it looks like we are one of the favs and most attractive schools to land him. Love that Coach Autry has been upfront and honest, the way it should be!

@CapitolHoops: Rumors out of Syracuse new York claim that Paul VI guard Franklin Howard is very close to committing to syracuse
Wonder if "close" means next day or two or if it means maybe after the Duke game he's supposed to attend?

Of course Howard immediately denied the report via twitter. Sorry can't link it over my phone.

Interesting thing is that about a week or two before Malachi committed there was a report that he was going to commit very soon (no mention of school though) and he immediately went on twitter to deny...then we all know what happened next :)

Interesting thing is that about a week or two before Malachi committed there was a report that he was going to commit very soon (no mention of school though) and he immediately went on twitter to deny...then we all know what happened next :)
Exactly what I was thinking... hope its the same situation. I just doubt he commits before the Duke game visit. But I'd be happy to be wrong :).

I want to know if this "rumor" is credible at all or just the internet being the internet. Paging Doctors Francis and Jake?

I get so excited every time we get a commit or are close to one. It gives some insight to what the staff sees and expects. Howard talks about transitioning to pg, we show a lot of interest after signing our prefered 2/3 man Richardson this is followed by news of a possible Franklin commit and he is scheduled to attend the Duke game.

2015 class so far with Franklin:
Franklin a 2/1
Richardson a 2/3
Lydon 4/3

Lots of vercitility covering all bases except a legit big guy. To me that means the staff is sure we will have at least one more open spot and they are secure in knowing we will get a big we want. Bryant or Diange.

Well if we take Howard that means it becomes Bryant or Diagne not both. It appears the staff is confident in 4 open spots knowing that both Ennis and Grant will depart, at the latest, after of the 2014-15 season (meaning we can do this even if they both come back for next season).

I'm curious how landing Franklin affects our chances at Battle in 2016.

I'm curious how landing Franklin affects our chances at Battle in 2016.
It shouldn't at all. Battle is a one and done type super talent. Howard is an excellent 4 year program guy that developes into and NBA pick. Think the ideal plan would Be Ennis (crossing fingers)/Joseph in 14. Joseph/Howard in 15. Battle/Howard in 16. And Howard/? In 17.

It shouldn't at all. Battle is a one and done type super talent. Howard is an excellent 4 year program guy that developes into and NBA pick. Think the ideal plan would Be Ennis (crossing fingers)/Joseph in 14. Joseph/Howard in 15. Battle/Howard in 16. And Howard/? In 17.

I think Joseph will be around more than 2 years unless he absolutely blows up (ofcourse this is possible as the NBA loves athleticism). Agree with Howard being an excellent program guy as he kind of reminds me of a bigger version of Scoop which would be phenomenal.

I love Joseph but I think he's at least a 3 year guy

Hey everyone. First post here. I've been trying to sign up for awhile now, but the confirmation email kept going to my spam and I just finally thought to check my spam folder. Anyway, I'm a huge Cuse fan and always have been and always will be.

As for this exciting 2015 class, I think we need to add another wing and another big. Right now we will probably have Joseph, Cooney, Buss, and Richardson as true guards for our 2015 roster. Add in BJ Johnson, a 2/3, Gbinje who has only played as a combo guard for us this year, and I'm not sure how Howard would fit into an already crowded system. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Howard, especially since he's a 6'4 combo guard who we would probably develop into a PG. But I don't see the advantage of having seven guards (six if we count Johnson as a SF). If we land Howard, he'd probably be better off redshirting his first season. Nothing wrong with that, but when we likely only have two scholarships to give out, I'd personally rather seen those given to players who would see the court in their freshman seasons. I'd like to see us go after Derrick Jones as a slashing 3 to compliment Lydon as a stretch 4. Then go after Bryant/Diagne/Diallo for the final spot.

Also, what do you think the chances are that we can develop Patterson into a combo guard? With Cooney likely our starting SG for the remainder of his SU career, and Richardson, Johnson, and Gbinje potentially getting minutes at SG, minutes could get tight for Patterson. If he could develop his PG skills, he'd be more likely to see court time over the next few years. I've liked what I've seen out of him in his few minutes he's gotten this year. He has a great motor that doesn't deserve to be wasted on the bench.

Hey everyone first post here. I've been trying to sign up for awhile now, but the confirmation email kept going to my spam and I just finally thought to check my spam folder. Anyway, I'm a huge Cuse fan and always have been and always will be.

As for this exciting 2015 class, I think we need to add another wing and another big. Right now we will probably have Joseph, Cooney, Buss, and Richardson as true guards for our 2015 roster. Add in BJ Johnson, a 2/3, Gbinje who has only played as a combo guard for us this year, and I'm not sure how Howard would fit into an already crowded system. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Howard, especially since he's a 6'4 combo guard who we would probably develop into a PG. But I don't see the advantage of having seven guards (six if we count Johnson as a SF). If we land Howard, he'd probably be better off redshirting his first season. Nothing wrong with that, but when we likely only have two scholarships to give out, I'd personally rather seen those given to players who would see the court in their freshman seasons. I'd like to see us go after Derrick Jones as a slashing 3 to compliment Lydon as a stretch 4. Then go after Bryant/Diagne/Diallo for the final spot.

Also, what do you think the chances are that we can develop Patterson into a combo guard? With Cooney likely our starting SG for the remainder of his SU career, and Richardson, Johnson, and Gbinje potentially getting minutes at SG, minutes could get tight for Patterson. If he could develop his PG skills, he'd be more likely to see court time over the next few years. I've liked what I've seen out of him in his few minutes he's gotten this year. He has a great motor that doesn't deserve to be wasted on the bench.
Welcome aboard. More cuse fans are always welcome. I just couldnt disagree more with the sentiment of your post. We desperately need a pg or combo guard for the 15 class and Howard would be a great fit for us at 6'5. Yes we have guys that can play guard, but all but Joseph are off guards. Ennis being so great this year has coverwd up what could have been a major issue with just one ball handler. Cooney, Richardson, Buss, are not going to take any minutes at pg. MikeG has been servicable but better off at 2/3. So we have cooney, Richardson, Buss, MikeG, and BJ at least capable of playing 2. MikeG, BJ, Lydon, Roberson, capable of playing the 3... and that's if ya don't count Buss and Richardson. We need a C or a 4/5 guy, probably Diagne or Bryant. But we also need a guy that can spell Joseph at the 1.

Hey everyone. First post here. I've been trying to sign up for awhile now, but the confirmation email kept going to my spam and I just finally thought to check my spam folder. Anyway, I'm a huge Cuse fan and always have been and always will be.

Welcome aboard chief. I think we can develop buss into a combo, but it's going to take time to get his ball handling down. Playing behind ennis right now has to be good, probably learning a lot as well. I think down the road he could be a promising ball handler.

Welcome aboard. More cuse fans are always welcome. I just couldnt disagree more with the sentiment of your post. We desperately need a pg or combo guard for the 15 class and Howard would be a great fit for us at 6'5. Yes we have guys that can play guard, but all but Joseph are off guards. Ennis being so great this year has coverwd up what could have been a major issue with just one ball handler. Cooney, Richardson, Buss, are not going to take any minutes at pg. MikeG has been servicable but better off at 2/3. So we have cooney, Richardson, Buss, MikeG, and BJ at least capable of playing 2. MikeG, BJ, Lydon, Roberson, capable of playing the 3... and that's if ya don't count Buss and Richardson. We need a C or a 4/5 guy, probably Diagne or Bryant. But we also need a guy that can spell Joseph at the 1.

I won't disagree that it would be nice to have another point guard, but I don't think it's an absolute must for this 2015 class. Gbinije has held his own spelling Ennis as the backup PG this year, and I'm sure he'll only get better in that role in 2014 and 2015. If Ennis leaves this year, than we'll only have Joseph and Gbinije next year at PG. So who's to say that Joseph and Gbinije wouldn't be able to handle the PG duties for 2015, if they already have a year under their belt in 2014.

The other, more important question that needs to be addressed in going after Howard is the role of Patterson. What is Patterson's role in 2014? He's probably the 5th guard. What is Patterson's role in 2015? Well, assuming he is strictly a SG, he'd have to compete with two seniors in Cooney and Gbinije and a top recruit Richardson for minutes at SG. Is he willing to play in blowout games and garbage time in his sophomore and junior years? Would he be willing to redshirt a season so he can play a larger role in 2016 and 2017? Or does Patterson already realize the minutes are going to be hard to come by, and does he transfer? Adding Howard would be great, but is it worth the price, especially when we should be able to land a pair of Bryant/Jones/Diagne/Diallo?

I don't know if Howard is the guy or not, but clearly we need a legitimate backup PG. Ennis is probably one & done. I think the original plan was for him to be a two or three year player & have Joseph as a backup, but look at what seems likely to happen. Next season Joseph will be the only true PG, maybe if he is really good it might happen again. Silent G or a combo guard may be serviceable at the point for 5 to 8 minutes per game, but it is easy to see the difference when a combo guy is running the show as compared to a true PG running the show. If the staff really believes that Howard has the instincts to be a true PG then I am all for his getting a scholie. If he really is more of a SG who they hope might develop into a PG then I think we need to look elsewhere. Personally, I think we should set our sights lower. Not everybody on the roster needs to be a Mickey Doo-Doo type. I think we need to find some kid who is a true PG & maybe only ranked 100 to 150 & who will be a 4 year player and not an NBA prospect.

Welcome!

The two things that makes me think Joseph has a good shot to leave early is his midrange pullup jumpshot, and his work ethic. He really has a sweet one. Its hard to find someone as comfortable pulling up as I have seen in the Joseph highlights. I could be wrong but thats the observation I make. On top of that hes decent sized for the nba and I predict he will welcome the physical nature well over time even though he favors a finesse game.

I would guess he needs to keep working on his outside pullup and build some strength in the offseason for us the most. Maybe take a page out of ennis' book, and learn to keep his foot down and learn alittle midrange hesitation. For all his crazy athleticism dion, mcw, and flynn had, its funny how alittle hesitation and anticipating physical play in the midpost while protecting the ball has aided a team like syracuse with pg's like Edelin and Ennis. A skill like that is so coveted and only 2-5 pgs a year can do it if that.
If he adds that alittle strength, with a outside pullup he could be the best pg in the college game.

I see alot of flynn in Josephs game. Hes alittle taller then flynn with real nice handles like flynn/Dion to break you down. He has a superior speed blowby like flynn and can take it to the rim. If his midrange jumpshot translates to college the way it has in highschool, I think he will be a better college player then flynn.

Knowing what I know know I would have been real suprirsed to have seen flynn go without a go to midrange jumper or outside shot given his size, but his drafts stock really jumped in the combine with his speed and verticle so you never know.

Just my opinion off of some minimal tape coverage.

Last edited:
The other, more important question that needs to be addressed in going after Howard is the role of Patterson. What is Patterson's role in 2014? He's probably the 5th guard. What is Patterson's role in 2015? Well, assuming he is strictly a SG, he'd have to compete with two seniors in Cooney and Gbinije and a top recruit Richardson for minutes at SG. Is he willing to play in blowout games and garbage time in his sophomore and junior years? Would he be willing to redshirt a season so he can play a larger role in 2016 and 2017? Or does Patterson already realize the minutes are going to be hard to come by, and does he transfer? Adding Howard would be great, but is it worth the price, especially when we should be able to land a pair of Bryant/Jones/Diagne/Diallo?

I really enjoyed this post. Normally, I'm of the belief that these things tend to "work themselves out." But I share your concern about Patterson's role going forward. It does look like he will be hard-pressed for minutes.

Having only followed recruiting closely for the last 5 years or so, could it be that this is a byproduct (or collateral damage) of a peak period in recuriting? Has Cuse historically carried close to the maximum of 13 scholarship players for a several year period? I seem to think they normally had about 10-11 with 2-3 walk-on schollies, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.