Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

But the coaching staff was pretty confident we’d get one schollie back on appeal a few months later. The staff should have just rolled the dice with Huerter and assume it would work out scholarship wise. Remember, we lost Diagne in August, so we started pursuing Thompson right after that because we then had a hole and needed to find another impact front court guy for the following season. The plan was that if we signed TT, he was gonna take the open Diagne schollie. The appeal to get us back to 11 scholarships would have opened up another.

On top of all that, I really don’t know why the staff failed to envision that either Mali would be 1-and-done (especially with the featured scoring role he was going to get as a frosh alongside G and Cooney) or that Joseph or Howard would end up being unhappy with their playing time, see the writing on the wall with Battle coming in, and decide to transfer. One of those things was gonna happen, and it was an obvious bet to make. Then both Mali and Joseph ended up leaving and we were forced to go get 2 grad transfers. I know the NCAA sanctions are ultimately to blame, but I’ve said over and over again this staff is too conservative in backfilling positions and doesn’t do a good enough job of predicting who may leave or not. Cal doesn’t seem to worry about which freshman will be one and done. He just goes and gets the best guys he can and worries about scholarship limitations later.

Agreed, only thing is...good chance we dont get Battle

I don’t recall anyone predicting Malachi to the NBA till after his display against Virginia in the NCAA’s when he really took off.

Mal-first 35 games
Fg%-36.4% 3 point%-34.9% ft%-71.7% Reb-4.2/ga Asst-2.1 Stl- 1.1/ga TO-2.1/ga Pts- 13

Mal -Last 2 games in NCAA’s - Virginia and UNC
Fg%-43.3 3 point%-44.4% ft%-75% Reb-6/ga Asst-.5/ga Stl-1.5/ga TO-2.5/ga Pts - 20

Quite a difference and improvement in his performance against the top competition in his last 2 games during the NCAA’s vs the rest of the season. He certainly got national attention on college basketball’s biggest stage.

Reminds me of God Shammgod of Providence a 6 ft point guard in his sophomore year who quietly averaged 10 points a game then starred averaging 23 points in the NCAA’s leading Providence to the elite 8. So he declared and ended up drafted in the 2nd round.

I don’t recall anyone predicting Malachi to the NBA till after his display against Virginia in the NCAA’s when he really took off.
May 7 2015:
As much as I would like to see it, I have a hard time visualizing Battle and Richardson playing together. I'm going into this season expecting Malachi to be one and done and if he isn't - yay!
Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Also re: his numbers, pre the last two games, are really cratered by a few early OOC games (especially a horrendous game against STJ), but he played exceptionally well in conference games. He improved through the year.

Predicted to go as high as 17th to the Bucks. 20th or 21st could be more realistic. Depends where DeVincenzo and Holliday get picked. Huerter turned down an invite to the Barclay Center to have a big draft party at his house. Very family oriented.

Huerter might be playing for a last place team but he is having a beyond any expectations type of season. Last night was like icing on the cake for him. I know we never had a real shot at him but what a shame he wasn't Orange.

Another kick to the groin for SU. This kid is averaging 9.4 ppg in 27 mpg as a rookie and shooting 39% from 3. First rounder last year, would have extended our streak of first rounders also. He'll most likely end up being in the league for 8+ seasons. But we didn't have room for him on our team thanks to the NCAA.

Another kick to the groin for SU. This kid is averaging 9.4 ppg in 27 mpg as a rookie and shooting 39% from 3. First rounder last year, would have extended our streak of first rounders also. He'll most likely end up being in the league for 8+ seasons. But we didn't have room for him on our team thanks to the NCAA.
I was told sanctions were not an excuse for losing him.

;)

I was told sanctions were not an excuse for losing him.

Huerter was offered to be a preferred Walk-On by Syracuse because at the time there were no scholarships available. The Syracuse coaches wanted him.

He went to Maryland who offered him a four year scholarship.

Later at the end of year with the early attrition of some scholarship players, it turned out there was a scholarship available that could have been given to Huerter.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really random thread bump here but I was chatting with some people from Shen who’s son is friends with Kevin &, in addition to raving about what a great kid he is, they mentioned that he’s been dating Scott Shafer’s daughter for a while now. They met while attending UMD. Small world.

Really random thread bump here but I was chatting with some people from Shen who’s son is friends with Kevin &, in addition to raving about what a great kid he is, they mentioned that he’s been dating Scott Shafer’s daughter for a while now. They met while attending UMD. Small world.
Is she a ginger too?

Shafer was only at UMd for a few months. Did his daughter enroll there because he was employed there, or is that timing wrong?

70E4AACE-AA64-4BA2-86BA-7A9A32F16981.png

Shafer was only at UMd for a few months. Did his daughter enroll there because he was employed there, or is that timing wrong?
Shafer was UMD’s DC from Dec ‘15 to April ‘16. According to the folks I chatted with, his daughter is a senior this year.

That was the first thing I thought of.

An early high water mark for this website was when the PS did a feature on Nunes which included the boards infatuation with his girlfriend.
The weirdest one was when there was the stat girl and a bunch of people kept posting that "she likes to party."

It was like a bizarro reenactment of the scene from Hot Rod.

The weirdest one was when there was the stat girl and a bunch of people kept posting that "she likes to party."

It was like a bizarro reenactment of the scene from Hot Rod.
Stat girl could motor on those heels delivering the end of the quarter stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom