Game-Changing Initiative | Syracusefan.com

Game-Changing Initiative

Futurama Buy GIF

I've seen Red on a few different media outlets stumping for NIL money over the last week or so. Not sure if it means collective needs money now or its just the new normal moving forward until the sham of the schools not paying the athletes is finally disbanded.

In the short term, I think we can compete. In the longer term, if the system doesn't change, I don't think we can keep up with larger donor bases.

I've seen Red on a few different media outlets stumping for NIL money over the last week or so. Not sure if it means collective needs money now or its just the new normal moving forward until the sham of the schools not paying the athletes is finally disbanded.

In the short term, I think we can compete. In the longer term, if the system doesn't change, I don't think we can keep up with larger donor bases.
Beg your pardon but the schools do pay the athletes. They ALL get about an 8-9000.00 stipend per year in addition to their scholarship which by and large has become insignificant in our increasingly dumbed down society. This NIL is all on us The craziness will stop when we, and only we, decide to stop it. If we're going to treat them like professionals and pay them stupid money then make them pay for their housing, property taxes, school taxes,water,food,etc.

David Falk donated something like $20 mil. to have the sports management school named after him.
Imagine how much a collective could get if the team renamed itself after a donor.
So, it could have been the Syracuse Falks.
Or even the Syracuse Orange Falks.
Imagine the mascot.

There are a number of very wealthy alumni.
If they pony up the name can change every year...or every game.
That's a way to raise some big $.

David Falk donated something like $20 mil. to have the sports management school named after him.
Imagine how much a collective could get if the team renamed itself after a donor.
Imagine the mascot.

When I hit the Powerball I’ll let you name my new collective whatever the heck you want to name it.
I just want a winning basketball team

Imagine the mascot.

Donations to college capital projects or endowments = tax deductible.

Donations to NIL = NOT tax deductible.

Falk got a UUUUGE tax deduction for making that gift.
And also got his name on a school and building, that will outlive him.

NIL is spending money to buy your favorite program better players.
Which boosters have been doing for decades, but now anybody can get in on the act.

Beg your pardon but the schools do pay the athletes. They ALL get about an 8-9000.00 stipend per year in addition to their scholarship which by and large has become insignificant in our increasingly dumbed down society. This NIL is all on us The craziness will stop when we, and only we, decide to stop it. If we're going to treat them like professionals and pay them stupid money then make them pay for their housing, property taxes, school taxes,water,food,etc.
So guess Orange United can't count on you for an annual donation. So noted.

Property taxes and school taxes require home ownership so that's a little overkill on tax payments.

Can you give some examples of others in our society who get paid "stupid money" in a show of craziness, based on the free market value of their services? And how should we punish those others?

NIL money is taxable, by the way. They're paying income taxes.

So guess Orange United can't count on you for an annual donation. So noted.

Property taxes and school taxes require home ownership so that's a little overkill on tax payments.
Not with a triple net lease. So you’re in favor of just paying these kids more money than you and I make together and covering all their expenses too, right? I am Orange through and through for my entire life and yes….Im against paying the players. They should be free to go pro right after high school and earn their money If that’s what they choose.

Not with a triple net lease. So you’re in favor of just paying these kids more money than you and I make together and covering all their expenses too, right? I am Orange through and through for my entire life and yes….Im against paying the players. They should be free to go pro right after high school and earn their money If that’s what they choose.
The debate is over. This is what exists.

Don't be part of the solution. Be part of the problem.
I would be very willing to sign up for the minimum membership at $11 a month, but I was wondering if I could get a better explanation for "Store Voucher". I can't find anywhere on that website that will say exactly what it is or how much it is for. Any idea on how I could figure that out before signing up?

The debate is over. This is what exists.
We’ll see. Maybe a few years in a row of fans shelling out big money for teams that don’t make the tourney or don’t finish .500 ( West Virginia) will change the game.

Working hard and developing marketable talents. Gee Wiz that’s what I did in college too. I had to pay for it though. How bout you?

Working hard and developing marketable talents. Gee Wiz that’s what I did in college too. I had to pay for it though. How bout you?
I did plenty of work on the side during college, and received the market rate for it. Unfortunately I didn't have any skills worth six or seven figures to anyone. I got some scholarships based on what SU thought it was worth to have me there academically though, which was nice - saved me from paying full price.

Who do you think sets these players up and gives them the stage to audition to make their millions?
Cash cow with free labor. Great business model. When conferences weren't signing billion dollar TV contracts the student athlete model may have made more sense. The scholarship/education may have been a fair payoff. That's ancient history now. Adults are making billions off these kids and paying them squat.

The jig is up. The one way money machine is done. No going back now. And the schools will resist at first but WILL end up in a pay for play model. No longer if, it's when. Whether it succeeds only time will tell.

Who do you think sets these players up and gives them the stage to audition to make their millions?
They're called revenue sports for a reason, there is a lot of money being made off of them. Nobody is saying the players deserve 100% of it. Seems like the market rate tends to fall in the 50% ballpark for players (I think the NFL salary cap is around 48-49% of revenue, NBA is 50%), so somewhere in that range seems pretty reasonable across the sport - and sure, we can include the scholarships and stipends in that.

Syracuse brings in about $36M a year in revenue off basketball. I doubt we're even seeing a quarter of that go to the players. Definitely not half!

They're called revenue sports for a reason, there is a lot of money being made off of them. Nobody is saying the players deserve 100% of it. Seems like the market rate tends to fall in the 50% ballpark for players (I think the NFL salary cap is around 48-49% of revenue, NBA is 50%), so somewhere in that range seems pretty reasonable across the sport - and sure, we can include the scholarships and stipends in that.

Syracuse brings in about $36M a year in revenue off basketball. I doubt we're even seeing a quarter of that go to the players. Definitely not half!
What about all the other sports? Their travel,schollys, stipends,etc.? What about facility upkeep? Why do people think that athletic departments make all this money? That is why we, the fans,will have to dig deep if we can to pay players on top of continuing to support the University. My main concern is that Syracuse won’t be able to compete in this new way of the world and stay relevant. Syracuse sports has been one of the joys of my life and I don’t want to see it end. I feel like this is the path to the end for many good to great programs.

Everything that's a** backwards is cool nowadays. Let's just mess college sports up even worse than it was before. 86 team play its all about self. That's all that matters is self and self alone. These people act like they got nothing b4. I'm sitting back watching it end syracuse basketball laughing at these no it alls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom