Gillion Fouled end 2nd | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gillion Fouled end 2nd

Gillon got fouled by both defenders on that last play of regulation. How do they swallow their whistles that hard?

Needed that one
Toughest thing about that play, i didnt necessarily see a foul, i saw that the ul guy knocked it out of his hands, then Gillon tried to sell the foul, extended both hands (like he got hit) and when he extended his hands thats when it went off his right hand out if bounds. Ie if he didnt try to sell the foul he ball would have gone off ul out of bounds. And we would have got one last shot. VERY tough break.

I agree we needed to score there. In hindsight that was our chance. Tough tough two losses. At least we tried to battle back hard, gotta give these young men a ton of credit for battling back.

Short bench is catching up to us as it is bound to do in 18 game reg season. But good news is if we can slip into ncaas somehow, maybe short bench wont hurt us as much in march madness format. Ala last yr. Go Cuse!

I would have rather had Gillon try to put a shot up from deep rather than drive into the trees with no passing lane for a kick out...

As bad as White's 35 footer with 10 secs left in OT when down two...

That's where I am. First, Gillon was so shaky with his decision making tonight, and with the ball. Not sure I want it in his hands driving for that reason alone.

That being said, him driving is a disaster maybe 60% of the time, with a circus finish maybe 40% of the time, maybe 50% of those circus finishes actually end up in the hoop. Against a VERY LONG team like UL, with a pretty aggressive defense, I just hate having him drive it.

White was maybe the best option tonight. He had a few strong takes where he blew by his guy (not the strongest part of his game - but 2nite he had a couple nice takes), he has a nice pull up, and gets his shot off over people...Lydon could shoot it as well, but probably pump fakes and passes, but the pass worked last game. I'd rather they take the shots. I'm not letting White pass it though - tell him, whatever you do, shoot! Because all your passes are being intercepted tonight!!!

Also, there was no real safety valve for Gillon - it was pretty much, go to the rim, or make a difficult find. I don't know, have to watch the play again, maybe I missed something. Seemed dooooooooooooooooomed from the start. Or maybe JG just decided to call his own number. Who knows.

Straight homers calling for the foul. He was untouched and lost the freaking ball. I rewinded it like five times. Get over it. It sucks I know.

Watch the replay from the angle above the play. The first defender's arm clearly catches Gillon squarely on the chest. It's hard to see from the replay that ESPN showed from behind the basket but the last replay they showed, from above, is clear.

It was the right play call.
It was? You have 5 guys there that can shoot and you go dribble drive with the smallest guy into the trees?

i watched the replay 10 times. Not fouled. He tried to initiate contact. Guy got all ball with minimal contact. I would have been royally pissed off if they had the ball and we got a foul called on us to end the game. I wish he actually drove all the way to the basket. Oh well.

This is somewhat similar to the Clemson game with Lydon and the "charge". If it's close, refs aren't calling it. Fact is we had a chance to win it in OT and couldn't do it. Not blaming the refs on that last play in the 2nd.

i watched the replay 10 times. Not fouled. He tried to initiate contact. Guy got all ball with minimal contact. I would have been royally pissed off if they had the ball and we got a foul called on us to end the game. I wish he actually drove all the way to the basket. Oh well.
foul was before the shot (on #23) and actually pretty obvious, not that I'd expect it to be whistled in that situation

I thought there was a bit of contact, but the type that the refs would call a foul only about 20% of the time. If it's not likely to be called a foul in the middle of the game, there's almost no chance you'll get that call in the closing seconds.

Not a great shot, but it was the best I could get. Defender's arm is draped across Gillon's left arm and chest. Textbook reach in foul.

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.06.04 AM.png

People who think he got fouled are delusional, and the goal in that situation should be to get a good shot, not get fouled regardless. Lydon was WIDE open. Just terrible strategy and execution. To have a 5'9" guard take it among the trees when he's been getting rejected at the rim most of the time all year and not even get a shot off was very frustrating. That said, we were very lucky to even be in that situation.

Draped? Looks like a tiny reach in at best. Regardless, that is never going to be called. Besides, everybody thought the 'foul' was on the shot attempt which was, in actuality, Gillon losing the ball trying to go up with it.

People who think he got fouled are delusional
Wrong. He was fouled right around the FT line, especially considering the "freedom of movement" emphasis they supposedly put in place this year.
Now, this has nothing to do with whether the refs "should" have called it at that spot in the game, or whether it was the right play call by Syracuse.

It's been said in many different ways in this thread. What's the most frustrating about this play was that it was off a timeout. Now whether that was the play call or Gillon took this option it is a head scratcher. Wish we had a catch a shoot or take a player off the dribble after coming off a screen scenario. Driving down the middle with Gillon was not our strongest play in this spot. If that was the case I wish it had come without the timeout in an attempt to catch them off guard or unsettled. The time out allowed them time to settle into what they wanted to do and defend.

It's been said in many different ways in this thread. What's the most frustrating about this play was that it was off a timeout. Now whether that was the play call or Gillon took this option it is a head scratcher. Wish we had a catch a shoot or take a player off the dribble after coming off a screen scenario. Driving down the middle with Gillon was not our strongest play in this spot. If that was the case I wish it had come without the timeout in an attempt to catch them off guard or unsettled. The time out allowed them time to settle into what they wanted to do and defend.
I hated the TO call. Usually JB just lets it play out and I was very surprised that he called one in that situation.

JB said twice in the presser that it was "great call" and "great play."

I hated the TO call. Usually JB just lets it play out and I was very surprised that he called one in that situation.
Agreed - thought the TO call was not a good idea. Had plenty of time and the TO there just gives the defense time to talk over what to defend and also to make sure they've got everybody covered.
Let it play out instead and maybe one of the defenders loses a guy giving us a better chance at a shot.

Draped? Looks like a tiny reach in at best. Regardless, that is never going to be called. Besides, everybody thought the 'foul' was on the shot attempt which was, in actuality, Gillon losing the ball trying to go up with it.

How about when Mahmoud initiated contact with Lydon's face in the first half. Was that a foul on us? I'm fine with people if they don't think it's a foul, but there was no consistency last night. Oh and apparently theres no 3 seconds either anymore because Mahmoud camped in the lane for 15 seconds one possession. If this was a consistent crew I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM, but it's Michael Stephens. He shouldn't be allowed to step foot in the dome ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom