Gillion Fouled end 2nd | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gillion Fouled end 2nd

How about when Mahmoud initiated contact with Lydon's face in the first half. Was that a foul on us? I'm fine with people if they don't think it's a foul, but there was no consistency last night. Oh and apparently theres no 3 seconds either anymore because Mahmoud camped in the lane for 15 seconds one possession. If this was a consistent crew I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM, but it's Michael Stephens. He shouldn't be allowed to step foot in the dome ever again.

I agree with the inconsistencies and on the Mahmoud play. Both teams received strange fouls and no-calls. Now I don't really think it played a factor in the game but it was not good.

I was more upset how bad the offense looked most of the game. Especially in the 1H. Lots of settling. Three or four times guys are STILL jumping up in the air in no man's land and passing back for a TO or discombobulated possession. It looked like Brooklyn/MSG again. Pass back and forth, shot clock winding down, then White/Battle launch an off balanced forced 3 that bricks off the backboard. This is February. We were stuck at 48 points near the end of the game getting turnovers handed to us on a silver platter. Louisville played maybe their worst game of the season last night. If you had told me they would shoot 16-30 from the FT line, make only 8 threes, score so little, and Mitchell fouls out towards the end of regulation; I wouldn't have believed that they won. Those freebies under the basket for them...just killed us. Just watching guys rebound and dunk/lay it in galore.

Last edited:
I thought the Louisville guy got all ball but there are a lot of fouls called in that situation. I'm not sure Gillon touched it afterwards but he reached out toward it and that's what the ref saw. The replay was inconclusive so they didn't change it.

wrong. I would have complained about any play that

1. involved a midget driving the ball against an entire team as the game winning shot

2. left time on the clock for the opposition.

would have been better to just hold the ball till there was one second left and then just jacked up a prayer . at least it would have been a shot attempt and would have left no time for 'ville

Gillon was trying to get to the foul line and that was a good move. But I wanted him to wait a couple of seconds so they wouldn't have a shot at the other end.

I hated the TO call. Usually JB just lets it play out and I was very surprised that he called one in that situation.

That seemed to work 5 days ago at Clemson. Talk about polar opposites. At Clemson we ran a well designed play with multiple options - the "Villanova" approach. Last night we called time out so we could give Gillon the ball, close our eyes and hope even though the odds of him finishing at the rim against a tall, athletic team were less than ideal.

Being in a position to win against a team as good as Louisville despite our best shooter not being able to hit a shot, ostensibly our best player going through long stretches of invisibility, getting dominated on the boards down the stretch, Battle in a Nyquil induced fog and some horrendous turnovers speaks to what this team can be. Unfortunately the margin of error was erased long ago so we may never what they can accomplish on the big stage in March.

People who think he got fouled are delusional, and the goal in that situation should be to get a good shot, not get fouled regardless. Lydon was WIDE open. Just terrible strategy and execution. To have a 5'9" guard take it among the trees when he's been getting rejected at the rim most of the time all year and not even get a shot off was very frustrating. That said, we were very lucky to even be in that situation.

it was a tie game and Gillon is money at the line. Getting fouled was great idea but it didn't happen.

Totally crazy to take timeout and draw up a play that relies on:

1) Gillon finishing at the rim, or
2) Referees making a call.

Our offense was poor last night but there were better options than that.

No issue with having a good foul shooter try to win with foul shots. But there's also opportunity to win by just making a basket. We needed to just try to make a basket, not try to force contact. Too much to rely on when you do that.

No issue with having a good foul shooter try to win with foul shots. But there's also opportunity to win by just making a basket. We needed to just try to make a basket, not try to force contact. Too much to rely on when you do that.

I think it's worse than a coin flip to hope the refs blow the whistle on a last-possession drive. Contact and a whistle has to be a bonus, not the goal.

Yes. Donna asked him then someone else I believe.

Yeah, I think she asked the very first question, right?

Donna always asks Boeheim the toughest and deepest questions. The presser wouldn't be the same without her. ;)

I think it's worse than a coin flip to hope the refs blow the whistle on a last-possession drive. Contact and a whistle has to be a bonus, not the goal.

Howard played better, imo, than Gillon last night. That said... Gillon will always have the ball in that situation, and I cannot disagree with that.

it was a tie game and Gillon is money at the line. Getting fouled was great idea but it didn't happen.

This. I don't get why people think making a tough shot when defense is at it's absolute best is preferable to getting the guy who just broke the SU record for free throws to the line? ...or at least why folks can't understand the reasoning. A lot of mind-boggling stuff on this board the last few days since Fab's death.

Straight homers calling for the foul. He was untouched and lost the freaking ball. I rewinded it like five times. Get over it. It sucks I know.
Absolutely. Clean as a whistle. If they call that, they have to call 70 fouls a game. Gillon did so much wrong on that last play. OT was worse though, when he let a 5 foot 4 walkon make a three, then beat him for a rebound and anot AND-1, and then culminating with him getting stripped in the lane by the same walkon.

Ugly ugly game for gillon. The whole crowd knew he needed a break. Battle must have really been sick.

That seemed to work 5 days ago at Clemson. Talk about polar opposites. At Clemson we ran a well designed play with multiple options - the "Villanova" approach. Last night we called time out so we could give Gillon the ball, close our eyes and hope even though the odds of him finishing at the rim against a tall, athletic team were less than ideal.

Being in a position to win against a team as good as Louisville despite our best shooter not being able to hit a shot, ostensibly our best player going through long stretches of invisibility, getting dominated on the boards down the stretch, Battle in a Nyquil induced fog and some horrendous turnovers speaks to what this team can be. Unfortunately the margin of error was erased long ago so we may never what they can accomplish on the big stage in March.
i actually like the time out call when we are down. Certainly makes sense. Tie game like that I really expected us to just attack and see if we could win it seeing we really had nothing to lose (although we left too much time on the clock)

Absolutely. Clean as a whistle. If they call that, they have to call 70 fouls a game. Gillon did so much wrong on that last play. OT was worse though, when he let a 5 foot 4 walkon make a three, then beat him for a rebound and anot AND-1, and then culminating with him getting stripped in the lane by the same walkon.

Ugly ugly game for gillon. The whole crowd knew he needed a break. Battle must have really been sick.

Mike Waters: Gillon "appeared to get him on the arm, but there was no call."

Another homer's take I guess.

Totally crazy to take timeout and draw up a play that relies on:

1) Gillon finishing at the rim, or
2) Referees making a call.

Our offense was poor last night but there were better options than that.
It's worse when u see it in writing.

All i know is that when we got the ball with the game tied, I wanted to see Gillon drive and get fouled. Ball game. It just didn't quite happen.

upload_2017-2-17_14-45-12.png

Finally had a chance to go find it and take a picture. I know late add. I know let it go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom