Gillon is a huge get | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon is a huge get

orange2win said:
Gillon looks like he will work out, but in JB's 40 years, think of another 2 Star or less that worked out.

Andy Rautins?

Wes Johnson?

That took me about five seconds. I'll bet there's more

Andy Rautins?

Wes Johnson?

I've said this before, but listing Wes Johnson as an example of this narrative is wrong. We didn't recruit the one star prospect out of Corsicana, Texas. We recruited an honorable mention all Big 12 and a guy who would probably have been the best freshman in that league if not for Kevin Durant. And that distinction matters IMO.

Not to stay there aren't 1-2 star players that have done extremely well here (there have obviously) but I wouldn't count Wes as one.

Between losing BJ Johnson, Patterson and Joseph, together with scholarship restrictions, we have been forced to scrape up the best of the rest. Those transfer we lost reflect badly on staff. They picked the wrong guys and have put us in a hole. Now we are chasing/capturing Gillon (0 Star), Mullins (2 Star), Dembele (3-Star), etc. Gillon looks like he will work out, but in JB's 40 years, think of another 2 Star or less that worked out. Doesn't happen often. Keep our fingers crossed. Two3zone is correct, the lack of dissenters on this site is very noticeable.
This is a clown post, bro. We're not chasing unproven 0-2 star recruits out of high school, we grabbed a proven 5th year transfer student who obviously has performed in college basketball. Gillon was the 6th man of the year in the conference his Junior year and this past year averaged 13+ as CSU's PG. His star rating out of high school 4 years ago has no bearing on his recruitment to the Orange this year. Stop it.

This is a clown post, bro. We're not chasing unproven 0-2 star recruits out of high school, we grabbed a proven 5th year transfer student who obviously has performed in college basketball. Gillon was the 6th man of the year in the conference his Junior year and this past year averaged 13+ as CSU's PG. His star rating out of high school 4 years ago has no bearing on his recruitment to the Orange this year. Stop it.

What I said about Wes easily applies to Gillon as well.

Andy Rautins?

Wes Johnson?

That's only one. Wes was a 3-Star. I'll give you an hour. I track this stuff. I can list them all. There are some, but not many.

Between losing BJ Johnson, Patterson and Joseph, together with scholarship restrictions, we have been forced to scrape up the best of the rest. Those transfer we lost reflect badly on staff. They picked the wrong guys and have put us in a hole. Now we are chasing/capturing Gillon (0 Star), Mullins (2 Star), Dembele (3-Star), etc. Gillon looks like he will work out, but in JB's 40 years, think of another 2 Star or less that worked out. Doesn't happen often. Keep our fingers crossed. Two3zone is correct, the lack of dissenters on this site is very noticeable.
dissenters lol

Do you not see the difference between recruiting high school Andy Rautins and Gillon?

Not sure what point you are making. Andy was rated in some boards as a 0 Star and others as 1 Star. His father was an NBA pro, who knew our system inside and out. His father was also the coach of the Canadian National team. All of this support help Andy achieve amazing potential.

Gillon, who is clearly talented, appears to be pulling himself up by his own bootstraps. Jumping to better programs when he has seen the chance. Credit the kid for what he has achieved so far. Moving up the ladder that way ... well, it just doesn't happen often. Still, as nice a prospect has he has been painted here, I doubt we would have offered if we were not in a self inflicted jam.

Not sure what point you are making. Andy was rated in some boards as a 0 Star and others as 1 Star. His father was an NBA pro, who knew our system inside and out. His father was also the coach of the Canadian National team. All of this support help Andy achieve amazing potential.

Gillon, who is clearly talented, appears to be pulling himself up by his own bootstraps. Jumping to better programs when he has seen the chance. Credit the kid for what he has achieved so far. Moving up the ladder that way ... well, it just doesn't happen often. Still, as nice a prospect has he has been painted here, I doubt we would have offered if we were not in a self inflicted jam.

My point is that we now have four whole years worth of data points since Gillon got his star rating. It's all but irrelevant in the evaluation of a would-be fifth year.

In response to your last paragraph, I won't dispute that we wouldn't have offered if we weren't short on bodies but I think that's the whole point of going after grad transfers.

You really need to stop with this "zero star" shtick. It is insulting to Gillon and embarrassing for you. Further, it is completely irrelevant and nonsensical.

While you are spouting this drivel, the staff had about 20 stars worth of recruits visiting the campus less than seven days ago. You are out of it.

Point is, we have a solid performing, proven guard. He will likely play important minutes.

I have one problem with those questioning Howard's shooting. Remember two things. 1- He was told not to shoot by JB unless he had to. 2-The "had to's" were usually taken with the clock running out making them low percentage to begin with.

Frank will do just fine and make the 29% being bandied about long forgotten.

In Frank We Trust! Or at least I do.

Point is, we have a solid performing, proven guard. He will likely play important minutes.

I have one problem with those questioning Howard's shooting. Remember two things. 1- He was told not to shoot by JB unless he had to. 2-The "had to's" were usually taken with the clock running out making them low percentage to begin with.

Frank will do just fine and make the 29% being bandied about long forgotten.

In Frank We Trust! Or at least I do.
Would love for him to be an outside threat especially being a guard but why do you think Jim told him not to shoot?

Because he was out there to learn to run the team and make good passes. Which he did an admirable job as a Frosh.
Was he learning to run the team at the free-throw line or was Jim telling him not to shoot them. Worst on team by far.

Was he learning to run the team at the free-throw line or was Jim telling him not to shoot them. Worst on team by far.

The number of people on this board that saw promise in Kaleb and can't see the upside in Frank is insane. Buy stock in Frank now before you look foolish again.

Kid can have a huge impact without taking a shot, and his shooting will absolutely improve, his form is fine.

I too expect Howard to improve and if he can improve his outside shot sky is the limit. Last year was a good fit for him because we had perimeter players. Next year not so much especially if Malachi leaves. Next year we will see five guys in the paint when Howard is on the floor.

This is why Jim brought in Gillion not as a backup but a 3 pt guy who will get starter minutes. This team needs this for floor balance. You just can't put that many non shooters on the floor.

This may sound crazy but I see more playing time for Howard if Malachi returns it's just a better fit.

The number of people on this board that saw promise in Kaleb and can't see the upside in Frank is insane. Buy stock in Frank now before you look foolish again.

Kid can have a huge impact without taking a shot, and his shooting will absolutely improve, his form is fine.

I saw promise in Kaleb, thought he'd be a good player at SU and was apparently wrong about that. I still think he might have success following his redshirt year. He needs to get stronger and do a ton of work on his handle. I think McDermott is a solid coach and will put Kaleb in a good position to succeed. I hope Kaleb does well at Creighton. Nice kid.

I also see upside in Frank. His shooting form isn't awful but there is obviously a lot of work to do. He needs to get stronger. I thought he made some positive strides down the stretch. He showed flashes of being an above average ACC point guard. I like that he came out of his shell in certain games as the season evolved. He will help us for sure and will probably be here for four years.

You really need to stop with this "zero star" shtick. It is insulting to Gillon and embarrassing for you. Further, it is completely irrelevant and nonsensical.

While you are spouting this drivel, the staff had about 20 stars worth of recruits visiting the campus less than seven days ago. You are out of it.

We are pursuing good conventional prospects for 2017 and beyond and these are the players who were recently visiting. Not the subject of my post. The unconventional Gillon will be much needed if Malachi is gone, but this also was not the focus of my post. My comment was in regards to the staff and their shortsightedness for 2016-17. You don't have to agree, but you should pay closer attention before attacking my comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom