Gillon is a huge get | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon is a huge get

Between losing BJ Johnson, Patterson and Joseph, together with scholarship restrictions, we have been forced to scrape up the best of the rest. Those transfer we lost reflect badly on staff. They picked the wrong guys and have put us in a hole. Now we are chasing/capturing Gillon (0 Star), Mullins (2 Star), Dembele (3-Star), etc. Gillon looks like he will work out, but in JB's 40 years, think of another 2 Star or less that worked out. Doesn't happen often. Keep our fingers crossed. Two3zone is correct, the lack of dissenters on this site is very noticeable.

If dissenters are what you'd like to see, I suggest you head over to Syracuse.com.

Dissension and pessimism don't make one an informed poster.

I won't get started on the stars argument. C'mon.

If dissenters are what you'd like to see, I suggest you head over to Syracuse.com.

Dissension and pessimism don't make one an informed poster.

I won't get started on the stars argument. C'mon.
Stars in CBB are a big deal to me. IMO, we should have strictly 4/5 stars coming through our doors and any reason for a 3 better be really convincing, however, I could care less what a 5th year transfer was rated. If high majors are interested, it means they put up on the collegiate level enough to impress and prove their worth as a one year rental.

Stars in CBB are a big deal to me. IMO, we should have strictly 4/5 stars coming through our doors and any reason for a 3 better be really convincing, however, I could care less what a 5th year transfer was rated. If high majors are interested, it means they put up on the collegiate level enough to impress and prove their worth as a one year rental.

How many stars were Rony Seikaly and Hakim Warrick and Lawrence Moten and Andy Rautins rated again?

We're an elilte program. We recruit players who are high top 100 [generally], some elite, some a notch below that. That should satisfy anyone preoccupied with stars. For the exceptions, these coaches know talent, and they have proven that they have a keen eye for projecting player potential. The three stars we get [Triche, Keita] end up being good players. Very few recruits are reaches, which is why stars aren't a very important barometer.

We would have lost a few good players if we went by that rule in the past. James Southerland, Andy Rautins, Brandon Triche and Cj Fair specifically. So 3 of 4 players on one final four team.

When it comes to recruiting, I trust the coaches. Yeah they miss on some guys who are three stars, they also hit on some. You can say the same thing for four star recruits as well. I think we all agree that the above players are all better than Kaleb Joseph.

Also some guys who go to certain schools are incredibly overrated. I think we all can agree that Mal and Lydon were better players than Chase Jeter and Derryck Thornton, but the recruting rankings wouldn't tell you that.

How many stars were Rony Seikaly and Hakim Warrick and Lawrence Moten and Andy Rautins rated again?

We're an elilte program. We recruit players who are high top 100 [generally], some elite, some a notch below that. That should satisfy anyone preoccupied with stars. For the exceptions, these coaches know talent, and they have proven that they have a keen eye for projecting player potential. The three stars we get [Triche, Keita] end up being good players. Very few recruits are reaches, which is why stars aren't a very important barometer.
Which is why I said I need convincing. I wouldn't necessarily say Keita was a good player, he was serviceable and a great guy. Triche was solid. Since then we've **** the bed with guys less than 4 stars.

The game has changed since Seikaly, Warrick and Moten etc.. We're in a new age going up against Duke, UNC and UVA every year.

Lydon wasn't even ranked when they offered him. I was not the first to post "Who's this guy, just seems average". Boy, was I ever wrong! The coaching staff seems to know what they are doing. Recruiting is a very difficult process on both sides.

Which is why I said I need convincing. I wouldn't necessarily say Keita was a good player, he was serviceable and a great guy. Triche was solid. Since then we've **** the bed with guys less than 4 stars.

The game has changed since Seikaly, Warrick and Moten etc.. We're in a new age going up against Duke, UNC and UVA every year.

So that is different than going up against Georgetown, Connecticut, Villanova and others in the old Big East?

No it hasn't. You need to find the best players you can. IMO, Dembele is better than Thompson, even though Thompson was rated higher. Would have preferred to land Dembele over Tauren for that reason, stars be damned. And it wouldn't mattered one damn bit if Dembele was a 3 star or a 3 1/2 star instead of a 4 star. The only reason he's rated lower is that people weren't familiar with him.

The notion that there is only one strategy to follow in recruiting, and that it needs to emulate UK / Duke's approach is a fallacy. You list UVa above, and yet they are the opposite of what you're describing, a team that targets four year guys that they can mature in their system over star ratings.

Also, we haven't the bed with guys less than 4 stars--that's a meme some chicken littles cling to to get worked up about the class of 2014. We had one miss [Patterson] and one guy who everyone knew was a project [Obokoh]. Wouldn't be a factor at all if it weren't exacerbated by the timing of the scholarship penalty last year.

The vast majority of our recruits pan out, and prove to be kids who can contribute at a high level. Those who can't cut it generally cycle out quickly--as it should be. We land this Yurtseven kid and we'll be bringing in another blockbuster class. The sky isn't falling.

Last edited:
The vast majority of our recruits pan out, and prove to be kids who can contribute at a high level. Those who can't cut it generally cycle out quickly--as it should be. We land this Yurtseven kid and we'll be bringing in another blockbuster class. The sky isn't falling.

Do we have a snowball chance in hell getting Yurtseven or a snowball chance in Syracuse?

Seikaly, Warrick and Moten preceded the star rating system. Seikaly, as a Euro recruit before they were a hot commodity, was not widely pursued. Warrick was not even recruited in PA, but Moten was a hot capture for us.

Somebody mentioned CJ Fair as a lowly recruited prospect. Not so. CJ was briefly rated a 5 Star until he injured his ACL in June 2008. The service then dropped him to a 3 star, but by the time he signed with us, they had moved him up to a 4 star.

stars mean nothing.
Its like having a 7 foot center whos a project. What star should they be? Will they be a deshonte riley sean williams chinoso obokoh or will they be a fab melo paschal chuckwu arinze onuaku.

Look at Paul Harris, Ron Patterson Rick Jackson, both built like freight trains but missing alittle. Could have fit good in anyone's system but either ran out of time, or were missing something
Look at,Hakim warrick, Jerami Grant CJ Fair, Tyler Roberson . Now take away their midrange driving game.
Look at James Southerland, Donte Greene or Tyler Lydon and take away their three point shooting ability. ( three point shooting is maybe the most unreadable thing coming out of highschool).

Stars are pointless.

stars mean nothing.
Its like having a 7 foot center whos a project. What star should they be? Will they be a deshonte riley sean williams chinoso obokoh or will they be a fab melo paschal chuckwu arinze onuaku.

Look at Paul Harris, Ron Patterson Rick Jackson, both built like freight trains but missing alittle. Could have fit good in anyone's system but either ran out of time, or were missing something
Look at,Hakim warrick, Jerami Grant CJ Fair, Tyler Roberson . Now take away their midrange driving game.
Look at James Southerland, Donte Greene or Tyler Lydon and take away their three point shooting ability. ( three point shooting is maybe the most unreadable thing coming out of highschool).

Stars are pointless.

If they're pointless then why do the teams with the most highly recruited players usually do the best or are always a threat?

Seikaly, Warrick and Moten preceded the star rating system. Seikaly, as a Euro recruit before they were a hot commodity, was not widely pursued. Warrick was not even recruited in PA, but Moten was a hot capture for us.

Somebody mentioned CJ Fair as a lowly recruited prospect. Not so. CJ was briefly rated a 5 Star until he injured his ACL in June 2008. The service then dropped him to a 3 star, but by the time he signed with us, they had moved him up to a 4 star.

Warrick preceded the star system? No he didn't.

Every time Warrick was jumping around in the air it was like a helicopter landing. He was a lot of fun to watch play!

Agreed! However, THE Helicopter likely preceded the star system, FWIW.

I don't think so. Howard showed SOME ability last year in limited minutes. Best pure point guard on the roster prior to Gillon coming in. Gillon is a fairly proven commodity at the college level. Howard is not. I see both players playing substantial minutes.
How does anyone know what FH is working on this offseason and how he will play next year, I've been watching since the early 70's and seen players improve both bb wise and mentally. How many people on this board thought skinny Sherm was our answer? Boeheim and staff know what they are doing. trust them, it will ease your mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom